Nano or Shuffle for working out?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Gmac07, Sep 9, 2005.

1. Gmac07 macrumors member

Jul 13, 2005
    I have a 20gb ipod that i love but i mainly keep it in my car. When i go to the gym it is a real hassle carrying that thing around. So i was planning on getting the $99 shuffle just to bring to the gym. but the only thing i didnt like about the shuffle was the functionality of it. I would have to make a special mix just for working out because you cant really change to whatever ablum or song you want. Then the Nano came out. It gives me the functionality of my 20gb in a miniature size. BUT how much bigger is the nano over the shuffle. The shuffle is still $100 cheaper, and im mainly getting this just to work out. Is the nano worth it for me?
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    If you just want it for working out, then the Shuffle is all you need. It's really easy to configure it just the way you want in iTunes, either with random songs or a playlist of your favorites.

However, if you're interested in meeting people at the gym, the nano would be a real conversation-starter.
  3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Jul 4, 2004
    Get the Shuffle -- cheaper if it goes missing. Far less obtrusive.

You can put your playlists in order -- just make sure the tracks are in the right order when you sync the Shuffle.
  4. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    shuffle 512MB. easy to misplace those little buggers.
  5. fyzle macrumors member

Aug 1, 2004
    Shuffle if you don't need multiple playlists,
    nano if you do.
  6. kugino macrumors 65816

Jul 10, 2003
    but the nano might be a better deal, especially if you can get a student discount. the ability to put podcasts, set an alarm for your workout, maybe the stopwatch might come in handy as well. i agree with everyone that the shuffle is probably the safer bet for working out, but just another perspective...
  7. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

Mar 6, 2005
    I think the Nano would be worth the extra money, the stopwatch will come in handy when working out, especially for me as i rarely wear a watch. Also i like to create little playlists on the walk tot he gym, this cant be done with the shuffle...

I'd say if you have the extra $$$ go for the 2gb Nano over the Shuffle anyday,

8. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    I'd say the nano. I used the Shuffle in the gym for a while, but got really tired working round its one playlist restriction. I prefer to have several gym playlists of about the same length, each with the track order designed to keep the motivation going through the duration of the workout. This was just too much work on the Shuffle.
  9. inlimbo macrumors 6502

Jan 29, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    This is a question Ive been debating with myself - Shuffle or Nano (given that I also own a 3G 20 gig).

I only disadvantage I see with the Nano is that u need a cable to charge it. Is that correct? With the suffle u just stick it into any USB port. Is that also correct? So u can take the Shuffle with u and use half of the disk space for music the other for files. With the Nano its no so easy - u would have to carry the cable around with u. Am I correct with all my assumption?
  10. Loge macrumors 68020

Jun 24, 2004
    Yes, you do need a cable to charge the nano, so that is one more thing you'd have to carry or at least keep by the machine with the USB port.
  11. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005

12. m-dogg macrumors 65816

Mar 15, 2004
    i use a shuffle for working out. works well with a playlist i created to fill its 512 mb belly.

however small the nano is, the shuffle is still smaller. so if it's just for working out, go shuffle. and no screen actually removes some temptation to lose your workout focus by stopiing and scrolling through your tunes to change your mind about whats playing...

i can certainly understand your temptation though - the nano looks awesome...
  13. dan-o-mac macrumors 6502a

Oct 12, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    I vote nano. Just as small as the shuffle w/ a screen. I like the shuffle, but for me I couldn't get used to not being able to navigate through my songs.