Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Need some input from iPod owners here. I'm looking to get an iPod - mentioned possibly getting a Shuffle before, but based on what I would use it for, is it the best one for me?

Storage isn't an issue - I only listen to a few songs obsessively for awhile, delete them, and move onto new ones. I'd probably listen to it most while doing something like walking my dog, studying, or lying in bed. Giving the Nano's scratch problems, would it get crappy quickly? Or would the smaller, less-scratch-prone Shuffle be best?

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
Well... being you don't want to carry around tons of music, I'd recommend getting the 512MB refurbed shuffle for 49 bucks. Sounds like a great deal for you.

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
i love my shuffle. I know most of the songs well enough to not need a screen, and any unknown gems that pop up i can look up when i re-connect, which actually helps to remind me to rate them.
Virtually indestructible, cheap and uber-portable. What's not to like?

Caitlyn

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2005
I would say get the shuffle hands down, unless the no screen factor or the no photo capabilities bugs you. If not, then a 512MB shuffle would be a nice deal for you. :) Good luck.

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
Yea, the shuffle is the best bet. I didn't even think about checking online to see if I could get a cheap deal for the shuffle so I put down the 69+tax for it at my local Apple store and I love it. It's such a great little device. I loved my 10GB 3G iPod, but for the commute on the el it was bulky. The shuffle is great.

And it's cheap. And won't break as easily as the nano. And autofill is a really nice feature.

Labi

macrumors regular
Sep 28, 2005
rdf8585 said:
...I'd probably listen to it most while doing something like studying...

You can do that? :confused: I always wanted to be able to do that :eek:

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Music I'm "into" can help me concentrate. Wish I could use an iPod during certain exams.....

Must.Get.nano!

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2005
rdf8585 said:
Need some input from iPod owners here. I'm looking to get an iPod - mentioned possibly getting a Shuffle before, but based on what I would use it for, is it the best one for me?

Storage isn't an issue - I only listen to a few songs obsessively for awhile, delete them, and move onto new ones. I'd probably listen to it most while doing something like walking my dog, studying, or lying in bed. Giving the Nano's scratch problems, would it get crappy quickly? Or would the smaller, less-scratch-prone Shuffle be best?

Trust me. I have the same routine (delete songs and go on to new ones). I got the nano and love it. The color screens and everything really make a difference. But if money is tight go with a shuffle, that was my 2nd choice too:p . Whichever you get.. Youll love it.. its an iPod:cool:

rdf8585

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 15, 2006
Only concern with the Nano is the scratches ... Prob will just get a Shuffle.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
Shuffle definitely. You don't listen to a lot of music, so therefore you probably know most of the songs. It very portable and very durable. So yeah like others have said, get the Shuffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.