NANO: Should I buy AppleCare($59 2yrs) or Sharper Image's iPod service plan($49 3yrs)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kathymoore, Sep 19, 2005.

1. kathymoore macrumors newbie

Just bought the 4GB iPod nano from my local Sharper
    Image store because I had a $200 gift card that needed
    to be used.

Which service plan should I buy?

2 years for $59 - Apple Care

3 years for $49 - SharperImage's iPod service plan

THANKS!!!

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Sharper Image has always been very good to me (maybe more than I deserve) when it comes to honoring their service plans... they've always a very "no questions asked" policy regarding product replacement. Also, they simply DON'T DO REPAIRS, which means you are likely just to get a brand new product back from them.

AppleCare, on the other hand, seem to take a very strict approach to honoring your request for repairs and/or product replacement.

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I used to work at Sharper Image... yes as a sales associate. And clayj has it down-- pretty much no questions asked. People would bring back ancient items-- things from the 80's and would get the brand new version of it. If you're wondering how they've managed to stay in business w/ that kind of a 'return' policy it's because most of the products are absolute garbage and TSI (The Sharper Image) has a huge markup on most items.

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The one thing you need to remember about TSI, though, is that if the old product (what you originally bought) is no longer available, you may have to pay the price difference to get the new (replacement) item.

For example, my eyeglasses cleaner ($39.95 originally) died this weekend with about a week left on the extended warranty ($6.95 for two years). I took it in today... however, they don't offer that same item anymore, having replaced it with a new, improved version ($49.95 now). So, I paid $10 to get the new version... not bad, considering I got a $49.95 item for the equivalent of $16.95. Even better, I'd already replaced the cleaner once (the ORIGINAL one broke), so I've had TWO more cleaners for $16.95.

When it's all said, I'd go with TSI on this one. The worst thing that could happen is you might have to pay the diff to get the latest and greatest if your nano ever malfunctions, and they're not going to interrogate you like AppleCare does.

5. GreeneGirl7 macrumors regular

GreeneGirl7

Three years beyond the one-year warranty? As in, a total of four years rather than the total of 3 years with Apple Care?

6. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    Couple comments. Make sure its the Sharper Image Replacement Warranty (double check) if you want a replacement product.
    While I was going to buy a cam-recorder from them, they tried to sell me a warranty, which ended up being the Sharper Image Service Warranty. I declined. But it ends up that Sharper Image sends the product to a 3rd party repair facility to fix it. Just make sure it is the replacement warranty.

The sharper image in my area was very nice regarding their warranty. I brought in the defective product that I paid for $129, and they didn't have it anymore. They upgraded me to the $149 version of the product without making me pay a cent. During that time, I bought a new replacement warranty just because of their excellent customer service.

Thanks, Paul