Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cmx08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
Can the nano work as a usb flash drive
(no need to format everytime it goes for mac to windows?

or even though it's flash based like the shuffle
It can not do the usb key trick like the shuffle?

I'm thinking to get a usb flash drive for school work
but if the nano can do the job I rather let apple have my money

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
Rokem said:
well if its properly formated.
To elaberate it needs to be formatted on Windows, as Mac's can read a windows iPod but not the other way around...

cmx08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Canada, GMA
HDD based ipods can not be used

they have to be reformated everytime u connect to a diff. platform

so what you folks are saying is that the nano can work with both without reformating, just like the shuffle since they are both flash based and not HDD.

PLEASE ANSWER FROM EXPERIENCE, not by logic.

hikingnclimbing

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Gorham, ME
cmx08 said:
they have to be reformated everytime u connect to a diff. platform

so what you folks are saying is that the nano can work with both without reformating, just like the shuffle since they are both flash based and not HDD.

PLEASE ANSWER FROM EXPERIENCE, not by logic.

I could use my 3G iPod on both my windows laptop and my PB. But it was formated for Windows. In order to update it without using my windows latop, I had to reformat for Mac. That's from experience.

cookieme

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2005
Just got a black 4GB nano after my shuffle gave up after 1.5 years or something. Just wondering if it is possible to maybe partition the nano in two and format one as MS-DOS and the other as HFS+ journaled, so that i could use it for storage on windows and mac without having issues reading and modifying files and still use itunes on my mac for music and everything else.

Anyone done this or know if it will damage my nano? I have searched for similar topics but can't find anything. Also if this is possible what would happen when an update for the nano comes and i update it? Will it restore the factory partition?

Thanks

neocell

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2005
Great White North
This has to be posted somewhere.
Format your iPod on a Windows PC. Sync it to your iTunes on your Mac. Enable hard drive usage through iTunes
Will now work as a flash device on both Macs and PCs without loosing anything, reformatting, disc partitioning or anything.
Only caveat, you can only sync iTunes to one computer.
Just do your initial iPod format on a PC everything will be fine after that

Yes from experience

zyuzin4

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Eugene, OR
neocell said:
This has to be posted somewhere.
Format your iPod on a Windows PC. Sync it to your iTunes on your Mac. Enable hard drive usage through iTunes
Will now work as a flash device on both Macs and PCs without loosing anything, reformatting, disc partitioning or anything.
Only caveat, you can only sync iTunes to one computer.
Just do your initial iPod format on a PC everything will be fine after that

Yes from experience

exactly. I use my nano as a flash drive for school projects and such PCs at school Mac at home

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.