Nano to turn into iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by netdog, Jul 16, 2006.

1. macrumors 603

netdog

According to a post on AI, somebody found all sorts of apparent phone extensions in the latest Nano updater (Firmware-14.5.2).  I don't have the skills to verify or debunk this, but the post seems legit.  How great would this be?

2. macrumors Core

isn't the nano too small to be a phone realisticly?

3. macrumors 68020

ham_man

4. thread starter macrumors 603

netdog

I was hoping that there would be someone here who could have a look at this file and see if they find similar strings.

Yes, to add a phone, I am sure they would have to make the Nano bigger, but can believe that the Nano internals would be the guts for the music player in the phone.* Didn't Apple recently change chip suppliers?* Perhaps a merger with a phone is part of the reason?

Anyway, I am in way above my head here, but I know we have some really savvy techs at MR, so perhaps one of our trusted members can settle this.

5. macrumors regular

6. macrumors 6502a

Obsidian6

so thats why my nano periodically rings in my ears? man i thought it was defective!

In all seriousness though. That would be mighty cool if they made a nano phone.

7. macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

It seems very likely that this is going to happen hopefully it won't be a motorola/Nano combo but a real Apple all in one phone and iPod or at least a Apple Nano with phone capabilities via Motorola....Anyway we've got some real exciting products to come from Apple thats for sure!

ShadoW

8. macrumors P6

Peace

I took a quick glance through the Firmware 14.5.2 for the iPod and did find this string.Whatever it means :

PhoneSignalStrength

9. macrumors newbie

EvilBeans

I gotta admit, if true, this would be really hot. Combine this with the touchscreen rumors and a lot of things start to fall into place (could be kinda hard to dial with just a click wheel, then again it's just another take on the rotary-dial of old, hmmmmmmm.......)

Anyway, this makes tons more sense to me than trying to cram music features to cell phone. The trick is to make it available across the different phone services and avoid having to distribute separate models for the different cell carriers. I still don't understand why I can't use whatever phone I want with whatever network I want. If Apple can help change all that, then more power to them.

10. macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

This is odd, because last night (I am not making this up) I had a dream where for some reason everyone had a nano. At one point in my dream, everyone had to hand in their nano because we were in a top secret location and it was thought that someone's nano was a phone. Then someone pulled our their nano phone ( :eek: ) and tried to call someone. He was tackled by men in black suits (who must have come out of the walls or something because they definatley weren't there before). Then I woke up and saw this post. I realize that it means absolutely nothing, but still, it freaked me out a bit. :eek:

11. macrumors regular

Another thing I guess to ponder is if they introduce an add-on like Nike+. I know it sounds crazy but maybe. God, I am definitely buying a Nano if it is a phone.

12. Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yeah, the FM radio and Nike add-ons seem to set a precedent...

B

13. macrumors 65816

celebrian23

I could care less. Apple of course always pairs with the phones I can't afford :mad:

14. macrumors Core

couldn't care less i think you mean.

15. macrumors 65816

celebrian23

16. macrumors regular

ToastMaster

Yeah, that about covers it.

17. macrumors 68040

ghall

PhoneCallModel\0\0A\0\0\0è
    pè
    *\0\0\0o¬£Q\0\0\0Hè
    ,²û \0\0\0\0Dê
    \0\0\0\0\0\0\0\0return\0d\0t\0·

Edit: Grr, what the hell is wrong with this?
    Well, anyway, there was some referance to PhoneCallMode and PhoneCallHistory.
    Highly suspicious.