Nanotechnology to have military use

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by wdlove, Aug 17, 2003.

1. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

MIT is working on nanotechnology that will have military application by 2025. The military will have suits that will protect soldiers from bullets and blasts. We will be using a little Star Wars technology!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3154203.stm

2. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

star trek, actually. i can't say i'm surprised, the military always finds a way to pervert science. The weapons capacity of nanotechnology is limitless... hundreds of millions of little destruction machines, precisely targeted... plague by remote control.

pnw

3. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

That's just what we need...I guess the Borg were originally born/created on Earth!

4. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

argh my gf is going to be at grad school there...i hope this isn't the kind of stuff they have her working on.

5. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Saw on discoverey recently they also have the camo suits in the making with special fibres,it allows the soldiers to be in camo in whatever environment they are in.These little fibres pretty much reflect their current environment.

I also read somewhere recently their is a spyship of some description that does the same thing while flying at night with the stars mapping perfectly to where it is in the sky making it invisible.

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Now if they could just find a way to make it silent...

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

they already have. precise angling of anti-sound generators, cancels the sound waves out before they can reach sensors. will fool most systems.

pnw

8. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

Yep, I've already seen prototype helicopters that run silent using ambiant accustic wave cancellation technology. It's amazing, and they were even able to fly the thing completely upside down, too. Military technology is seriously advancing at an incredible rate.

9. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

That does sound amazing :)

Makes me wonder if military technology will get to the point where Osama Bin Ladens etc will only be around for a year at the most then removed with said degree of technology.

DNA technology is amzing as well as its coming along.Here in New Zealand 2 guys,one has been arrested the other charged with murder in different cases,but new DNA evidence was able to put murders a decade or more old to rest.DNA evidence could possibly get to the point where commit a murder and it will finger you full stop,not for quite some time but one day. Imagine an almost crime free society...wow :) ...when I say crime free I mean a steep reduction as theres no cure for the stoopid in some people.

10. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

what about something like from star trek, where you could scan somebody for all kinds of things and know if they were carrying concealed weapons, e.g. at an airport...no more shoe bombs or anything like that.

11. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

except that it has absolutely nothing to do with nanotechnology...

and sensor arrays are being developed for scanning based on the differences in different materials... it will be able to go as deep as you want, analysing everything (no more rectal exams, they'll just know). I forget what kind of waves it uses, or i'd dig up an article.

pnw

12. wdlove thread starter macrumors P6

wdlove

They have nanotechnology that is one molecule in size. They will be able to inject it in our blood for diagnosis of the heart etc. They also have a capsule that can be swallowed, it has a camera that allows the doctor to check the gI track!

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

yeah, potentially there will be nanomachine injections that can heal illnesses, clear arteries, perform surgery on a minute scale. Some have gone as far as to theorize that cosmetic surgery will be done with a system of these working to move the molecules in the face around. rather creepy, watch your own face morph slowly.

the unfortunate flipside is, a small bomb containing nanomachines could detonate in the center of a huge city, with airborne nanomachines designed to destroy flesh. All we'd have to do is go sweep up the corpses and we've have control of the entire place. it's the atomic bomb, but without all that messy property damage and radiation.

pnw

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

So now our military will be Invincible!

Yay! :(

All Powerful we will become...

15. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Face facts, most technology trickles down from the military. We would not be anywhere near where we are today if the military did not create ARPAnet or WWII-era computers to calculate missile trajectories.

16. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

Then regardless of the usefulness of such a device, one liberal will say its against their right to be a terrorist.

17. Mac Kiwi macrumors 6502a

Ya thats true...they use missile tracking technology now to guide bursts of radiation from linear accelerators for tumors and cancer of different types.

Have you guys seen the images of those little nano tech sprocket gears running around in a tiny machine.I assume they are made of bacteria,might be wrong though.

I suppose at some stage in the future there will be a Nano technology treaty as well like ICBM ones etc.

The down side of all this technology for you guys in the states,apart from the defence budget you all have to pay for is I have noticed a sharp trend towards everyone expecting the USA to fix the trouble spots with peace keeping.

18. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

nanotech can be used more than as a weapon, especially on the medical side. it can repair damaged tissue, cure diseases, enhance our metabolism, strength and healing abilities as well as prolonging our lifes by keeping our tissue and organs healthy.

nanotech will open a whole new playing field in science and technology. science can always take a destructive course. it's up to us whether it does or not. let's hope we make the right decision when it comes to it. :)

19. johnnowak macrumors 6502

And we can't do this now with smallpox because.... ?

20. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

At first I wasn't going to touch this commen, but then i saw no one else do it.

Everyone has rights, in the middle east you have very limited rights and freedoms.

Understand they are poor, poor beyond what you, or me or most of the western civilizations could understand.

And then, they have a glimpse of hope, asking them if they would like to feed their family, their children, or whatever for years to come.

All they would have to do is become one of these horrible people, terrorist.

Your making such broad accusations.

Liberal means this.

Liberal means that.

News Media is This.

You can't paint everything with the same brush, don't do it.

21. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

Well what I think he was talking about would be a little more specific then flesh- think of a bomb smart enough to seek out all muslims, or jews or anything that can be specifically defined by DNA or otherwise- thats what it will be able to do. Scarry ehh? Has anyone played Deus Ex? While I will say it might not come true there is a high probability, If the world keeps going the way it does (Patriot act- etc.: very good game and has a lot of insight).
    Simply nanotech is even showing up today, aka. the pants. The dockers pants are coated with a nanoscale fibre that is small enough that water molecules (or whatever you are drinking) can't bond to the fabric- thus it slips off with gravity.
    Think of curing aging and many other things, or maybe even enhancing jumping- over a large building. Sure not all will be firstly available- but look at computer tech to see how far it has advanced from the first microprocessor.
    A good place for info on the latest happenings in the nanoworld is www.nanodot.org , they have a lot of recent breakthroughs and recent debates about should nanotech advance this way?, etc. Did any of you know that the chief scientist of Sun Microsystems doesn't want nanites or basically nanotech to advance? http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/8.04/joy.html
    I don't agree with him- simply put in short way I agree with most comments from- http://www.kurzweilai.net/articles/art0106.html?printable=1
    Most people who are in the feild think Bill Joy is an alarmist about nanotech- but considering what happened with nuclear, biological, etc. this will probably be banned from smart weapons research- just hopefully the U.S. goes with that too.

22. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

well if past history is any indication...
    :rolleyes:

23. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

sorry... i was just following the whole 'super military advances' angle...