Napoleon Dynamite Festival

Discussion in 'Community' started by rockthecasbah, Jun 22, 2005.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Okay how awesome is this, Preston Idaho, where the infamous cult classic Napoleon Dynamite was filmed, is having a festival dedicated to fans of the movie. There will be a "flippin' sweet bike contest" among other activities such as the best impersonations and tater tot eating contest. Memorabilia will also be sold.

Linkity

In words of a marvelous VH1 show, PRESTON IDAHO IS HAVING THE BEST WEEK EVER!!!.

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

3. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

I would love to go to that! I would have to get a cool shirt with Napoleon on it if I went. I hope they don't screw it up and try to make it to "cool".

4. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

that saddens me. You are taking ND too seriously. I guess some people just don't understand... :p

5. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Like anyone could even know that.

6. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

well, I don't take the movie seriously at all. It is a funny movie. But it isn't that funny. It had some good moments ("Tina! You fat piece of Lard", "I'm pretty good with a bo staff", "do the chickens have large talons", "I'm training to be a cage fighter", "'what are you doing?' 'working on some sweet dance moves;", etc. Sorry if I butchered some of those lines.) But it doesn't deserve the kind of press it got and festivals like this shouldn't be necessary.

scem0

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

while i loved the movie and quote it a lot and watch it as often as possible... i do tend to agree with scem that this is a bit much. i mean, it's cool that idaho is proud, so i see that aspect of it for sure. but as far as people traveling there from all over to it, that's a bit overboard. of course, this happens with all sorts of cult classics or whatever. i still don't get peoples' fascination with that crappy movie rocky horror... it's just lame.

so in conclusion:

great freaking movie

no movie is worth traveling long distances for a festival based on it.

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... my wife's friend showed up to their Master's graduation ceremony with an ND pin that said 'Skills' on it. Freakin hilarious. We all know a girl ain't gonna want a guy without skills.

9. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Yes!

"This week Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of lake lock ness to blow Nessy out of the water...."

Though the movie is really good, and I thoroughly enjoyed, I don't think I'd ever go to a festival dedicated to a movie.

Oh yeah, and all these people who want to get shirts with Napoleon on it, screw that,
    I want HIS shirts
    My favs are the Helicopter flying over the mountain, and the light blue one with the horse that says "Endurance"

"Oh, it's sweet, it's so awesome"
    (Said in Napoleon voice)

10. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I'm usually a fan of those cult comedies... and while Napolean Dynomite had some great lines (scem0)... I didn't really think it was all that good of a movie. (IMHO)

11. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

man, I'm right there wiht you on this one. Decent movie, had a few laughs, but really wasn't that funny in the end. And it seemed like exactly the kind of movie I usually really like. I just didn't think it came together in any way that made it really stand out. I watched it, and more or less forgot about it. I never understood the hype, but then a lot of people don't understand the movie I really like either. Too each their own.

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

13. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I normally enjoy a good poor sap/loser comedy movie, but ND was just stupid. It had a moment or two, but mostly I kept watching it waiting for it to get good, and that never happened.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Well, sure, I probably wouldn't either unless it was really close by. But if it were close enough to make the trip in a few hours, I bet it would be a lot of fun.

15. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I like some quirky comedy stuff like wes anderson's films, the cohen brothers, garden state, headwig and the angry inch, British TV shows like blackadder, and am always up for something a bit off beat on the independent circuit. There are the old classics like Caddy shack of course. Among non-comedy stuff I really like there's some anime like outlaw star, cowboy bebop, foreign stuff like city of God . I was really excited about napoleon dynamite when I first saw the commercials and heard about it,a nd I think I was the kind of movie fan the movie was aimed at (not just into the major blockbusters or romantic comedies, willing to try off beat stuff and appreciate quirky humor), but it just never connected with me.

In a similar vein, the movie bottle rocket never did anything for me. Its not that I didn't get it, i just didn't think it was as great as a lot of other people did.

16. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Yeah, same here.

17. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

wow, well that explains your bad taste!

hah

did you see bottle rocket before or after other wes anderson movies? personally bottle rocket is one of my favorite movies... i have a friend who saw rushmore, hated it.. then saw bottle rocket, loved it. saw rushmore again and loved it... go figure.

but yeah, i'd agree that nap dyn was aimed at folks like you.. but i think that those kind of quirky films are exactly that, quirky. and it either resonates with someone big time, or not at all. i think those that "kinda like it" are pretty rare

18. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

A couple great lines, boring movie...who cares?

19. mikemodena macrumors 6502a

mikemodena

top 10 worst movies ever in my book.. but then again Idaho doesn't have anything else but potato festivals.. so cool for them. ;)

20. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

That movie was so over rated. It was only good if you watched it baked.

21. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I thought that the movie was really well done and pretty funny. But it blew up so big that it can't live up to its own hype. Frankly I don't know if any movie could with the amount of hype Napolean has received.

22. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

I saw bottle rocket after I'd seen rushmore (one of my all time favorite movies) and the royal tennebaums (a good one, but not one of my favorites). Maybe I need to rewatch it. That's what a friend told me who really really liked it. When I rejoin netflix, I just might.

I was talking so someone about napoleon dynamite the other day, and it occured to me that I think its a movie that plays better when you're with a group of people, maybe having something to drink along with it. Some movies are just funnier when watched in groups.

23. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

very funny movie! I wonder if the cast will show up at the festival. If anyone is going, please post pics!

Thanks for the thread! :D

24. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Seriously, this movie was awesome. I didn't see any hype about it because I lived in a small city in Australia when it was released, but when I saw it 6 months ago on video, it was effing sweet!!

25. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Stateside it got a lot of hype in school yards and college campuses and stuff. Not so much by mainstream media, though it was lightly covered. Mostly spread by word of mouth though.

Have any of you seen the clip on gorillamask.net with the spelling bee kid who blurts out the line "do the chickens have large talons?" The announcers thought he was spreading code. link (you may need to click the link that says "skip this ad" after you click this)