Napping, do you listen to music?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sharewaredemon, Apr 9, 2006.

1. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

So I was in this thread and I was thinking about how I love to nap while listening to music.

I figured a thread dedicated to what music you like to listen to (styles or bands are welcome) or if you like to nap without music would be better than hi-jacking that thread.

Personally, I like napping to mellow or soft music. Some favourites include Belle and Sebastian, The New Amsterdams, Kings of Convenience, Daniel Lanois, Stars, Rocky Voltato, José Gonzalez, Air, and the Concretes.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

For sleep(as i don't really nap) i'm at a point were i'm listen to lots of Alterenative right now

but i go through "phases":rolleyes:

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I don't mind a bit of music when I'm dozing – a few years ago though, my then-girlfriend insisted on having a CD playing as we went to sleep on an evening. All well and good, except that this was around the time it was very fashionable for albums to have 'secret tracks' that would play ten minutes or so after the main album ended. Each night I'd just be nicely snoozing, only to wake up with a start once the extra song's drums and guitars kicked in. :mad:

4. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

i'm not a fan of music when I sleep. I do like the TV though. I need some chatter in the background when I'm sleepin'.

5. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

Ohhhh I hate that!

I wish that fad never happened cause then you have super long last tracks in iTunes.

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

same here, ESPECIALLY when i come home from work. I'll throw on the TV, usually the Daily Show and Colbert Report recorded from the previous night, fall asleep by the time the boring interview goes on for about 15 minutes, wake up, watch the good part of the Colbert Report then fall asleep for another 15. It's a pretty good cycle, refreshing for starting hw :)

7. mrwildguitar macrumors regular

mrwildguitar

Kåre and The Cavemen.

Best instrumental/rock/cocktail/spy music ever.

8. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Mind, I know some people who had it worse than me. I had a friend at the time called Sarah, who was known to her mates as 'Sur' for short. She fell asleep listening to a Robbie Williams CD, where the secret track was him reciting a poem – the first line of which was 'Hello Sir, remember me?' She woke up terrified thinking a stalker had broken into her room... :D

9. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

I can't fall asleep without some background noise being that I grew up in a big city, so there were always sirens, alarms, horns, shouting, etc. Usually its talk radio or podcasts.

10. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

depends for me, rarely is music on while i sleep, most of the time it is either the scifi channel, red sox game or anime on my TV

11. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

I like it. Basically any music doesn't really matter to me, just something going. But I like it to fade out. Gets me more in a sleeping mode as it quiets down and also so I don't have System of a Down screaming at me 4 hours later when I role over. I love iTuneSleep. Awesome little program. I set a sleep (Fade) mode for 45 minutes and fade out every night. Then when it kicks in for the alarm in the morning, it's great that you can set the system volume as well to make sure that you actually get up and don't end up sleeping in for 2 hours.
    Best alarm/sleep clock ever

12. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I have a tendancy to fall asleep with the tv on, but it seems that a lot of the time, whatever is on while I'm asleep is part of my dreams, I've had countless dreams involving the West Wing, Sopranos, and Mythbusters only to wake up and find that episode on tv. Although, it does make for some interesting dreams.

13. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I guess I love music too much to be able to doze off to it. For me my favorite nap/sleep time listening is "Walking The Bible". No jokes please, it is a great book. But the audiobook is so soothing

14. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I need to have a fan going in the background, or I can't sleep.

as for music, I get too worked up, and I end up not sleeping.

15. Peyton macrumors 68000

Peyton

I cannot stand any light or noise of any kind when sleeping. Seriously ANY light has to be blotted out before I can go to sleep, my room looks like a cave at night :D

16. bursty macrumors 6502a

bursty

I fall asleep every night to music. Its the only thing that will relax me enough to fall asleep.

17. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i almost always fall asleep to music in the background. i couldn't ever fall asleep to tv, too much motion and light, but music works just fine. and i'm not particular most of the time unless i have a headache/migraine

18. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I don't take naps often, but when I do, I choose music based on how I am feeling. As for the music, I have diverse tastes and so I play whatever I am in the mood for at the time.

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I understand that feeling. The traveling sleep shades have become my friend even when at home.

20. runninmac macrumors 65816

runninmac

Same for me! Unless its raining oh I love listening to the rain while sleeping. It has some relaxing quality to it.

With music I can't listen to any while sleeping, some of my friends turn up their music all the way while they sleep... They wonder while they're deaf.:rolleyes:

21. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I've heard mutterings that falling asleep to music/ TV can actually hinder the quality of your sleep. Not sure how true that is though.

I don't usually sleep to music. That said, if I'm tired, I'm tired-- I've slept through an Aerosmith concert and Star Wars in the theater. :eek:

22. Sharewaredemon thread starter macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

My mom was telling me that it is important to get your room as dark as possible when you sleep to insure proper rest (in terms of energy and deep sleep etc). So devilot the whole TV thing goes against the making your room dark thing.

23. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

I really just listen to whatever I want to when I go to sleep.
    But I prefer if it's otherworldy. :cool:

24. leftbanke7 macrumors 6502a

leftbanke7

On those rare occations that I pop on some tunes prior to crashing out, I usually put on these albums called UltraChilled. It's music that they play at Rave afterparties that is really relaxed and not too harsh mixed together. It usually has a good mix of soft electronica and jazz.