Napster nets $15m relaunch loss

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Feb 9, 2004.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 65816

Photorun

Points at Napster, musters up his best Nelson from the Simpsons: "Hahhh Hahhhhh"

3. macrumors regular

doesn't that mean that at the MOST they have sold 3.63 million songs?...... that aint very many

hmmm i guess we've got a rough estimate as to how many songs they've sold now.

MWAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4. macrumors 6502

5. Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Oh dear oh dear oh dear...they have some problems...and it's called iTunes! :p

6. macrumors 68020

sounds good. i never really thought that they'd do well. espicially since they are cutting the volume of $$ going to the napster division after the launch quarter, that means LESS advertising and exposure... not good for competition with iTMS

7. macrumors 68020

winmacguy

Very high cash burn rate by the sounds of things. Makes them sound like a ".dot com" from 2000. All of them became .bombs!

8. macrumors 6502a

mrsebastian

didn't anyone believe steve when he said itms is not a money maker, but essentially advertising for the ipod?! you gotta have a sweet mp3 player to make real money and the samsung /napster player is not it.

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

Actually, iTunes now DOES make a profit for Apple. In fact it broke even pretty quickly as I recall.

It's a very small profit, less important than iPod sales (which in turn are less than Mac sales), but iTunes alone is NOT a loss like other music stores are.