Napster Reports "Earnings"

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by bcsmith, May 11, 2005.

1. bcsmith macrumors member

Napster posted a $24.3M loss for the quarter. The impressive thing to me is that this was more than total revenue for the quarter (which came in at $17.4M). Too bad this isn't the late 90's, the stock would be soaring on the news.

Story

Not to say that the subscription music model is dead, it just doesn't look like anyone has figured out how to make it profitable.

-- Ben

2. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

napster has to seriously clean up their software.. under windows is so freaking confusing and hard to keep your library organized.. and syncing with your devices is a nightmare, from what ive heard and read.

3. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

I love that dig.

The push does seem to be towards a subscription model though. Makes you wonder why the RIAA wants that so badly. So what's the difference if we're all subscribed and sharing mp3's?

will movies be a subscription also when they here?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

No, the subscription music model is as dead as Lenin. Apple buried it when it introduced the iTunes Music Store. A few Frankensteins are trying to reanimate it, but they won't succeed.

5. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

i wonder how long they can last pulling out losses. i'm guessing they have a fair while left because of all the extra cash they have from elsling the roxio assets..

well napster, good luck!

6. snkTab macrumors 6502a

snkTab

I think these companies give surverys and ask. Would you like to pay .99 for 1 song or 9.99 for 999,999,999 songs. And then they try to implement the subscription model.

In all fairness, .99 per song doesn't leave that much to the reseller. Apple makes money on the iPods afterall.