Napster's CEO Slams Apple

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by srobert, Jan 28, 2004.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Well, as for myself, I prefer to own my music. I like Apple's model better. I guess it could vary from person to person. It sounds a little presomptuous for him to say that he is right and Apple is wrong... and by extension... ME, for preferring Apple's model.

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Do they get to save the streaming files?

Or is it just unlimited play on your computer for $9.95/month?

With a .99 song and 9.95 album cost to be able to burn Napster songs to CDs...

I can see how people would rather pay 9.95/month to get the "deluxe" version of the Napster service so they can pay for a computer version of digital radio.

--- aka...

I can see how people would rather "pay" to get access to subscriber based radio stations on the computer instead of the digital cable radio stations through the stereo.

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I don't think they can play the Streamed music (9.95/month) on a MP3 player... only the music they actually purchased (99¢ song)... just like the "All wrong" Apple Model. This guy is full of contradictions: A) Streamed is better than downloaded, B) Napster is compatible with more protable MP3 player than Apple, C) Streamed music wont' play on portable music player.

4. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

The CEO of Buymusic.com made similar remarks about Steve Jobs and iTunes and look where they ended up...

As a side note, my teacher bought a song from buymusic and tried to play it in class during a presentation. Unfortunately, it kept telling him he did not have access rights to the said music and wouldn't let him play it. I never had that problem with iTunes.

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i don't understand how he ignored all the previous music services that offered the subscription model... none of them took off.

i remember jobs saying something to the extent that the subscription model is accountant friendly but not consumer friendly. no one wants to "rent" music. and thus far, he's right.

for $10 a month, i think i'd consider getting a satellite radio instead. at least i can use that on the road.

6. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i get only one mental image from this.

two guys fighting, one hasn't taken a punch, the other is about to be killed. The one that's lying bleeding on the ground smiles and says "i'm winning".

paul

7. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

That almost sounds like a Mike Tyson vs. Howie Mandell matchup.

8. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

the indication from their website is that you cannot. you pay for the streaming services - otherwise, they must be purchased to be saved.

(and i imagine that if it was unlimited stream/save then they'd just say, "unlimited downloads" instead.)

Attached Files:

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Well here's another mental image....

Black Knight: Come on then.
    Arthur: What?
    Black Knight: Have at you!
    Arthur: You are indeed brave, Sir Knight, but the fight is mine.
    Black Knight: Oh, had enough, eh?
    Arthur: Look, you stupid bastard, you've got no arms left.
    Black Knight: Yes I have.
    Arthur: Look!
    Black Knight: Just a flesh wound.
    Arthur: Look, stop that.
    Black Knight: Chicken! Chicken!
    Arthur: Look, I'll have your leg. Right!

Arthur cuts off the Black Knight's leg.

Black Knight: Right, I'll do you for that!
    Arthur: You'll what?
    Black Knight: Come 'ere!
    Arthur: What are you going to do, bleed on me?
    Black Knight: I'm invincible!
    Arthur: You're a loony.
    Black Knight: The Black Knight always triumphs! Have at you! Come on then.

Arthur cuts off the Black Knight's other leg.

Black Knight: All right; we'll call it a draw.
    Arthur: Come, Patsy.
    Black Knight: Oh, oh, I see, running away then. You yellow bastard! Come back here and take what's coming to you. I'll bite your legs off!

10. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

11. spinner macrumors regular

ROTFLMAO :D

For $9.95 I would rather subscribe to satelite radio and be able to take it with me.

12. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Exactly - and as an owner of an XM Radio I already do. Apple has free iTunes radio links, which is fine. If you had to choose what songs you listen to for the download, it would get tiresome fast enough - too much time figuring out what you want to listen to and not enough listening.

XM Radio is fantastic and they also offer a PC version that lets you listen by download.

D

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Ah! i knew there was a scene from a movie that i was thinking of, i just couldn't quite place it :) ty.

at any rate it'll be fun to watch napster die again.

paul

14. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

hehe great reference.

Bah, Napster was only good back in the 'Old Napster' days.

:D

15. zapp macrumors regular

zapp

Confused

http://www.napster.com/facts.html

If you read the store detail it is very similiar to iTunes. But there is a lack of exactly what the user rights are.

So when he says the business model is all wrong I guess he forgot to look in the mirror.

16. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

To the CEO of Napster:

You don't frighten us, you Napster pig-dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, son of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so called Napster CEEEEEOh! You and all your silly streeeeming music!

I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty-headed animal food-trough wiper! I f@rt in your general direction! Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries!

Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time.

Moof!

17. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Man, could you imagine? "Okay, I want to listen to Relient K. (click-click-drag-click)". 2 minutes later: "Okay, now some oldies. How about Aerosmith? (click-click-drag-click-crash-restart-click-click-drag-click)".
    How stupid. And bashing the Apple model when they offer the same exact service sounds like bashing/desperation. I can do without Toast to. Screw em.

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Indeed...The Black Knight. "Let's call it a draw!"

19. ltgator333 macrumors member

here's how it is...

When a CEO gets up in front of a lot of people like that and bashes a competetor like he did, and can't even get his story entirely straight while doing it, and something as weak as 'stay away from Apple' is just as weak as .. we all know the movie the waterboy right? momma tellin little bobby that girls/football/ and other things were 'the devil'... basicly momma (and the CEO) have no reason for people to stay away from the competitor other than they're just plain scared to lose them, and this is a last chance ditch effort to scare people away from Apple. Will it work? In the long run of things probably not. So they can cheap shot away all day, fact of the matter is Apple has a good setup and people are using it.

20. Gymnut macrumors 68000

Gymnut

Sounds to me he loves the taste of his own foot.

21. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    only time will see if the napster model can survive against itms...it feels nice to be at the top heh

22. idea_hamster macrumors 65816

idea_hamster

If memory serves, iTunes claims to have moved 30 million songs. At $.99 each, this person seems to represent about 1/10% of all their business. Talk about a good customer!

23. FriarTuck macrumors 6502

FriarTuck

Assuming a minute a song to select and download, that's nearly 500 hours.

That's like a part-time job!

24. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I liked how he slammed apple store for providing only 30 seconds stream as opposed to their full lenght streams.

Here is some usefull info for you sir:

preview also pre·vue n.
    An introductory or preliminary message, sample, or overview; a foretaste.

Did the guy even tried itunes? Looks like he does'nt know what he's talking about.

25. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

one thing... at ~$29500 spent, the difference between 99 cents and $1 becomes quite significant! (even though 99 cents is usually used to "fool" customers into thinking it's a lot cheaper than the $1)

it's 29,500 songs at $1 or 29,797 songs at 99 cents. almost 300 "extra" songs!

:eek: