Narnia movie to open soon; church exploitation to follow

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Chacala_Nayarit, Nov 26, 2005.

1. Chacala_Nayarit macrumors 6502

Chacala_Nayarit

British Christians are being told that the movie "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrone" is a religious allegory and they should be in a proper frame of mind when they see it, or something, or else they're going to hell. Apparently you are not allowed to think about it as a fun work of fiction. You are to take C.S. Lewis and his tale of talking lions and alternate dimensions very, very seriously.

As Jesus said, "Hooray for money!"

From the Reuters article: "'Manchester Cathedral in northern England staged a Narnia day, the Methodist organization MethodistChildren wrote a special Narnia service and Church of Scotland moderator David Lacy said it was common sense to seize the opportunity.

"The Church would be daft not to capitalize on any benefits it can get out of it," Lacy said.'"

Ideas that might actually affect people's lives, such as some of that 'helping the poor' or 'visiting the sick' crap that this Jesus person was supposed to be big on, were completely undiscussed, because nothing is more important than helping out Disney's bottom line and going to see a movie about talking lions.

If it's any consolation, C.S. Lewis' work about his real life conversion to Christianity is actually funnier.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I suppose everyone is entitled to an opinion.
    Guess we know yours.

Uh, it's "wardrobe", not "wardrone" :eek:

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

If you have read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe then you would clearly see the allegory. The 'Creator' creating a whole land just through his creed, evil introduced, and the Creator must make the ultimate sacrifce; himself. At which point the tide has turned in favor of those on the Creator's side with the resurrection of the said creator.

That is pretty hard to dispute.

However, I do disagree with the opinion that 'you are not allowed to think about it as a fun work of fiction.'

Anyway... I've heard that at least one of the churches nearby has already bought out all the tickets to a certain showing, essentially reserving that theater to themselves. :eek: Wonder how much that costs?

4. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I've been afraid that fundamentalists will cast The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe as the anti-Harry Potter. For those unaware, Harry Potter is a plot by witches to get to our children. Laughable, maybe, but these folks are serious. Now we have a movie made of the works of one of the most ham-handed Christian propagandists of the 20th century, that will become the "official" alternative endorsed by fundamentalists. Don't get me wrong, Lewis' books have a certain charm and can be enjoyable if you don't mind getting hit over the head by the allegory. I may even go to the movie. I'll just have to hold my nose to avoid gagging on the sanctimonious preaching going on about me.

PS - anyone aware if the producers intended the movie to be used in this way?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yes- Disney held a pre-screening for Christian groups already. They fully intended to aim this at that audience.

http://www.narniaweb.com/news.asp?id=420&dl=4487700

6. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I'm surprised it took this long, with the success of The Passion of the Christ and all.

Looks like Disney's looking to cash in on a little fundie booty.

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh

8. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Thanks, leekohler, now it just remains to be seen how much Disney changed the script from the books to take even greater advantage of the audience. Surely, there must be some anti-abortion and anti-gay references that could be added to this children's film? Or maybe the evil queen could be made to look like Saddam Hussein? :(

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Tilda Swinton would have to wear a hell of a moustache.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha-ha! Well, I sincerely hope they just stuck to what was in the book.

11. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Hey, she's played a few roles in drag before! She even looked pretty hot doing it. Although you're right playing the White Witch as Saddam might be stretching it even for her. ;)

12. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

You are entitled to your opinion, but mocking a religion of billions is not necessary...

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

No, because so many of them are doing a fine job of making a mockery of it already.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Oh it absolutely is.

15. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

The Lion...
    The Witch...
    The Wardrobe...

ham_man, good to see you back. Where have you been for so long? Of course, you've picked a great forum and thread to welcome you. :D

Jesus did not say, "Hoorah for money" but rather, "you can't serve God and Disney".

16. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

Now that was funny :)

Glad to see some people here have actually read bits of the Bible.

17. croshtique macrumors 6502

No, churches are simply using the release of the film and the ideas therein and making it relevant in sermons.

Apparently you are wrong!

That "Narnia day" was back in early October, a whole 2 months before the film comes out.

Are you suggesting visiting sick people and helping the ppor is 'crap'? And also that the church in the UK is only interested in helping out Disney? And that good ethics are completely 'undiscussed' (although you do not claim where).

18. Sogo macrumors 6502

Sigh...Actually the church that my father is making my brothers go to has told them no to watch harry potter...why you ask? oH well, cuz they are witches...and witches are bad you know...Didnt you know that? :rolleyes:

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Funny and scary at the same time. I was once engaged in a conversation where we were talking about why Harry Potter and the church don't get along.
    • "Well, it's all about witchcraft."
    • "Sure, so is the bible."
    • "No, you can't compare miracles to witchcraft."
    • "Of course, you can. It's exactly the same thing. It's only your connotation of the event that makes it good or evil. It's all magic."
    • "Nuh huh. Miracles aren't magic--they're miracles."
    • "Oh, so prophets and true psychics are completely different, too?"
    • "That's right."

Yeah, okay, sure. Christianity is the religion of convenience...they can make anything into anything that helps their cause.

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

it surely is, and always has been. i was raised Catholic, and have been privy to many of the other Christian denominations as well. and thats how it works 99% of the time.

just another reason why i am no longer a very religious person

21. tristan macrumors 6502a

Regardless of all the marketing strategy behind the movie (i.e. let's release a pro-christian kid movie, it'll be a blockbuster), it all comes down to whether its good and entertaining. The book was a good read, whether you were a Christian or not. Hopefully the movie will be the same way and will be written so that it's enjoyable by everyone. (Like Star Trek was - a humanist vision of the future, but generally accessible.)

22. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I finally saw this film as the DVD was just released.

I approached it with an open mind and find it equal with the Harry Potter films and lacking religious components, unless saying "Adam" and "Eve" qualifies. The Harry Potter films include Christmas, though this one shows Father Christmas.

Perhaps, much of the book was left out and, since I haven't read it, I've probably missed many details.

It seems to me as this could be construed as a much more insidious way to play with the minds of children, introducing them to rather strong violence and magical themes. I believe it to be quite a bit more evil than the Harry Potter films in terms of the possible effects on children, considering that most of them won't be able to do magic, but know quite well how to commit violence.

Once again, strong, logical parenting is necessary.

23. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

A lot of films and literature have religious undertones. Looking at when it was written, and considering who wrote it, I still don't see the problem. I realize some of the fundies have ruined religion for a lot of people, but this isn't about Christ. It isn't even a religious allegory per se, just a spiritual one with a relatively good message. Religion is everywhere in society, and to be so against something simply because your views are different makes you no better than the zealots you claim to be so against.

That, and it was a good movie.

24. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I've never claimed to be better but I find it quite hypocritical for those who claim to be against such a thing to use such a thing to spread their message.

I'm quite against anyone who truly believes that mass violence solves a problem.

25. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

I think of the bible as fiction, however I have to acknowledge the considerable influence has on the world throughout history. In Western literature and film imagery that references Bible is quite common. If you read Marlowe or Shakespear having a basic understanding of the Biblical images allows you to understand the play better. In the opening of Marlowe's "Doctor Faustus" (faust is the origin of "faustian baragin" or "deal with the devil") if you have never read the Book of Job you won't understand the basic undertone of the play. In "Lord of The Rings" was written by CS lewis by his friend at Oxford, Tolkien. They both considered their books Christian works.

http://dir.salon.com/story/books/feature/2003/12/03/tolkien_lewis/index.html?pn=3
    Reading the entire article above about the writers background, you will see that is was the intent of the author to have a christian undertone in the books. However, symbolism is always left up to the reader so your interpretation of the book maybe different, yet clearly the authors intent was otherwise. Although, some people don't posses the skills to draw conclusion about symbolism from film or literature.

Your other problem seems the fact that people are making money off a film that is directly pandering to a religion, and they try to show the good from the film. Well, they do the same thing with religious books. The best example is the Bible. Companies like religious bookstores, Amazon.com, and publisher make money off books, because religious people push the good that comes from the book. The point is all they are doing is pandering to an audience to make money. So is Amazon.com bad for selling the bible and the dvd to make money these Christians who by the DVD because the church told them to, or is it only up to Disney. Oh wait, CS Lewis came up with Christian theme and wrote the book. The only thing film does is tell a story, and it happens to make a lot of money because it entertains people. There isn't anything wrong with telling a story and making money.

Disney (ABC) as a publicly traded company has a fiduciary duty [legal relationship between two or more parties] to it's stockholders to make decision that will make the share holders money. It is quite apparent when they decided to make the film that they would market to christians considering the authors background and intent. Hence, a logical business step to fulfill their legal relationship with their stock holders to pander to an audience.