Narrowed it to 2---------ear buds

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by patriotn11, Apr 27, 2004.

1. patriotn11 macrumors member

Apr 7, 2004
    Ok, :)

Again, I want them for to compliment my newly ordered 17" PB, I want to use them for DVD's, music and also when I get my first ipod.

I've narrowed it down to these 2:

Etymotic ER-4P MicroPro Earphones---web search--$219.00 :eek:

Etymotic Research ER-6 Isolator Earphones---web search----$119.00 :eek:

San Antonio :cool:
  2. PowerMacMan macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2004
    Chicago, Illinois
    Go w/ these Etymotic Research ER-6 Isolator Earphones---web search----$119.00, they're cheaper, yet amazing sound quality, I don't know how much difference they could make...
  3. patriotn11 thread starter macrumors member

Apr 7, 2004
    Thanks Bud

Thanks for your help,

That is it, the ER•6 Isolator earphones are the one.

Now, just waiting for the eagle to land------ 17" Powerbook

Me excited :eek:
  4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    check out the shure e-series earbuds... so nice... a litte pricey, but great sound
  5. Bhennies macrumors 6502

Mar 20, 2004
    NYC & Baltimore
    I concur. I have the e2's. They are amazing. 79 bucks.
  6. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    Er-6's they rockk.. really my friends has them, compared to the ear buds that come with the ipod the are superior
  7. t300 macrumors 6502a

Apr 10, 2004
    Apple In-Ear headphones all the way...There is no other alternative.
  8. eyeon macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2004
    Montana, USA
    You're being sarcastic, right?
  9. jbembe macrumors 6502a

Jun 2, 2003
    Baltimore, MD
    I bought the sony in-ear style (Sony MDR EX70LP Ear-bud Headphones 50$ pretty good sound for the price, great improvement over stock iPod earphones) but if I were to do it again I'd go with these, like others here:
  10. mstecker macrumors 6502

Jul 16, 2002
    Oh come on. Are you honestly saying that you listened to both the $100-300 Etymotics and the Apple Earbuds, and "there is no alternative"?

The Apple earbuds are nice. About as nice as the Koss and Sony pairs that I use for backup, but there is absolutely no comparison with the Etymotics. It's like comparing a Honda to a Ferrari.

11. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Apr 9, 2003
    Canada GTA
    you might wanna take a look at the Shures as well.

i have the Shure E3c and i love it. firstly, it's more ergonomically and stylishly designed. it actually looks socially acceptable and won't make people think you're wearing something...invasive in your ear. they're pretty rugged too, i've dropped mine twice and stepped on it once (D'Oh) and there's no sign of damage at all.

if you have the $$$$ you can take a look at the E5c. it's the best earphones ever, but comes at a price.

as for sound quality (what i learn from head-fi), the Etymotics have a very surgical sound signature that will sound great to analyze music with. but if you like to have warmth and fullness in your music then you might wanna consider the Shures instead. also, the Shures have better bass than etymotics.

now from personal experience, i used to wear the MDR-G73 from Sony and it gave me so much more detail than my PC speakers, it was ridicolous. i re-discovered my music all over again. now, with the E3c, i'm doing it all over again, and after a few weeks using the E3c, i'm not gonna touch the G73 ever again. in short, they're awesome.

also, as you know with all canalphones, they block all outside noise, even with moderate volumes only on your player. i love it. ow, and since shures have this style that tucks the cords behind your ears and down your back, it practically kills microphonics - which are said to be quite severe in etymotics. keep that in mind as well when choosing.

so yea...check out the Shures first before you decide.