Narrowly overted disaster...

Discussion in 'Community' started by AppleMatt, Jan 4, 2005.

1. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

So I left everything on in my room this evening and went downstairs to waste time.

I'd only been downstairs about 5 minutes when I realised I didn't have my phone so went back up to get it, and when I got in my room could smell something really disgusting. Looked over to my desk, and my lamp had fallen over and started to burn a hole in my desk! What was worse was that it had fallen about 1cm away from the curtains too, which were boiling hot. Obviously I quickly removed it all, but after 15 mins the nice black "patch" on my desk is still too hot to touch (when I lifted the lamp the table top was making crackling sounds), and it's basically ruined a perfectly good desk.

If I hadn't have forgotten my phone, that would have been a lot lot worse.

Not an amazingly interesting story, but thought I'd let everyone know I won't be burning my house down with me inside it today so will still be able to see what's released at MWSF :)

AppleMatt
    edit: Apparently there's a difference between overted and averted :)

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Your lamp started to burn a hole in your desk? How big is this lamp? Watts? :eek: I could see it getting warm, but a hole?

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

my thoughts exactly, what lamp was this? i want to stay far far away from it!!!

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

6. AppleMatt thread starter macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

^ That (posts about the lamp) got me thinking so I checked...

First blunder...there is no cover on the lamp it's just a fixture and the bulb. I've no idea what happened to the cover, it's just never been there.
    Second blunder...the bulb is a candle bulb, 100W. The side of the lamp says "max 40W".

"hole" isn't really accurate. There isn't a perfect desk with a marble-sized hole right through it :) I don't know the technical term but it's a "chipboard covered with plastic" type (IKEA) desk and all the plastic in about a 4cm circle has gone completely (some's on the bulb, the rest...I don't know), and the chipboard underneath is sunk right down and black. Around that there's like a 2cm raised (up about 1cm) ring of plastic, which still stinks even though it's fairly cool now, and then out from that it goes black to brown, and loads of tiny "burst bubbles" which look like craters. All the plastic of the desk has cracked out from the center like glass does, the longest crack is about 15cm from the edge of the hole to the end, and it's all lifting off.

But like I said, this was after 5 mins on a wooden desk, so after say 10 mins on those curtains...

AppleMatt

edit: Now I've gotten over the "phew" part I'm actually quite pissed off. I was thinking two days ago how well I'd kept the desk over the years. Now it looks and smells awful.

7. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

Either that, or Applematt's desk is made out of the most flammable substance known to man.

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

first thing, get a new light bulb, the right wattage this time, and get a lamp shade for it so something like this doesnt happen again,

im glad now that i have a half wood half glass desk

9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Yeah, I remember coming home from going out to dinner with my family when I was a little kid, and I remember smelling something burning. I went upstairs and the light bulb inside my table lamp had fallen over and was burning through the lampshade! If we had just gotten home a few minutes later, who knows... :eek: Scary.

10. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

get one of those compact fluorescent bulbs that put out more light and less heat.

11. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

All I can say is... Where's the picture of the damaged desk?

12. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Maybe the picture can be his 'tar.

Why don't you have one, AppleMatt?

13. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Very strange indeed... Most people foam at the mouth for a tar... Very usual to see someone that could have one choose not to.

14. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

BLAST! my simple plan to remove AppleMatt, all gone to waste BLAST!

that sucks about your desk tho, pretty strange.

15. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

How is that strange? You're the one who did it!!! ;)

16. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

God for you AppleMatt. ;) IMHO it may have been an Angel that intervened. I often see examples where I think that it may have been the work of an Angel. They can also be another human stranger. I had the feeling that I was one for a lady a few weeks ago.

If you have a chance please post a picture AppleMatt! ;)

17. howard macrumors 68020

howard

because of whats going on in the world today i read your title and thought of someone dodging tsunamis, jumping over cracks in the earth from quakes, outrunning tornados, or jumping through a raging fire. hehe

:)

anyway, glad nothing terrible happened.

Once my light was hanging over and old stereo and the plastic started to melt, other than that my lamps have been pretty safe.

18. armchainmstenw macrumors member

Wow, it was really lucky you caught it in time. Lamps can be evil.
    We once had a lamp that melted the plastic case of our First generation iMac.

19. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

was it a halogen lamp? i had one melt a dvd case once, nasty little things

20. sarae macrumors 6502

Forget about the desk, was there a mac nearby? That's what I was anticipating was going to be melting! :eek:

21. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

kind of reminds me of a very nice Russian girl I was with once, who put a shirt over a bedside lamp to creat a romantic setting. The words 'can you smell burning?' still remind me of her years later.

22. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Thank your lucky stars on that one. :)

Oh yeah, not to be an ass or anything, but I think you meant to say "Situation averted" Didn't you? ;)

23. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Are you serious!? :eek: :confused:

24. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

for the record... you mean averted

(didnt see anyone else mention that)

but glad you're ok :D

edit: i was beat to it... glad you're ok!

25. urban1985_ macrumors regular

Wow that was definitely close. I have a similar story, but nowhere near the same level.

I was in the washroom brushing my teeth, and my cell phone was basically on the edge of the counter. The toilet was beside this counter, and as I reached down to grab my phone, I accidentally knocked it over because I wasn't looking. It fell down, and it landed on the toilet seat (yes ew) and it was sliding and stopped right at the edge before going down.... WOW. I was so nervous I just watched this all happen.

Lol. Yeah I never bring my cell phone in the washroom anymore.