NAS and other External Network Storage

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applekid, Dec 15, 2005.

1. applekid macrumors 68020

I've noticed a few products for consumers that allow a hard drive to be shared on a network. I think it's a great idea and it would be ideal in our household to share and backup a lot of our files. However, it appears most of these products format the HD in the Linux format of ext3 creating some obstacles.

Are there any products that are Mac-friendlier, work well on a WiFi network, and would preferably be an enclosure (I do have a internal HD I was about to buy a FireWire and USB 2.0 enclosure for, but I could use it as NAS)?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

As far as Mac friendlier... it's a network drive, so the format of the hard drive is less important. You access it as a SMB server (or in a few cases, as AFP)
    You are subject to some filenaming limits, but other than that they are generally Mac friendly - except that if you need to administer them or set them up initially, some of them only have Windows software to assist setup.

What they are is a tiny Linux server bolted to a drive and an Ethernet port. Some of them have a USB port for chaining another drive.

You can buy an empty one of these NAS units from some of the companies, and install your own hard drive. May need a Windows machine for setup though.