NASA being manipulated by Bush administration

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by maxterpiece, Feb 4, 2006.

1. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

ny times article link
    Okay, surprised no one has posted about this yet. It is a science issue on the surface, but I know it will get political fast, so I'm posting it in the political forums to save moderators time.

What is this garbage? If science believes something that, for one reason or another, doesn't make you feel good, how is it productive to censor that information? This is clear cut evidence of what I guess is a widely known fact: the Bush administration is uninterested in the truth about things. They are interested in controlling people by tapping into every side of humanity that is irrational. They want people to be ignorant because the more ignorant you are, the easier it is to feed you lies - it's easy to live life by simple and irrational guidelines. Once people take on a close-minded viewpoint, once they invest in that perspective, it takes an awful lot of work and individual thinking to dig their way out. Now Bush has a constituency that has zero interest in what he does and he can make all his corporate buddies lots of cash.

I have no problem with people having different perspectives, different attitudes about the meaning of their lives and what they believe it is worth dedicating their lives to. But I am terrified of the idea that the american government is trying to breed people that are afraid of and hate the truth!

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Have you met this administration?

I think you just answered your own question.

3. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

The anti-intellectualism of the right was on full display during the campaign for the '04 election when Bush was interviewed by O'Reilly (as soft as soft interviews get :rolleyes: ) and Bill and George were both laughing about 'those pinheads at Yale'.

Also the derision for the 'ivory tower elite' university professors, combined with their hatred for the Dept. of Ed, along with vouchers to get their kids out of public school where science might actually be taught. All these things contribute to a conscious turning away from education because it threatens their power structure.

4. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

5. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Clearly, Einstein is next on the Christian right wing hit-list. If he was correct about the immutability of the speed of light, then the universe must be far older than Biblical accounts allow. Therefore, a Bible-based theory countering Einstein has to be developed and given equal weight in schools and in government literature, lest we allow our children to believe that Special Relativity is anything more than a theory and the Bible anything less than the literal truth.

The final cleansing begins.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh for.....

How long until the White House starts pressuring astronauts to deny that the world is round?

7. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

I guess i'm not surprised by the lack of overall responses to this thread. I think ppl read about this and they think about how it is happening and how it can be stopped and it's so frustrating that there just isn't much to say.

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

When's the manned mission to Heaven?

When I hear the phrase "Intelligent Design" coupled with "NASA", I better be hearing about something involving co-efficients, new polymers, and cutting-edge spatial and rocket technology.

9. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

that about sums it up. i cannot stand the bush administration and any other truth-stuffing extremists out there but there's nothing i can do about it so i try not to think about it, lest i go insane. (wait, too late for that) ;)

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

heh heh.

now excuse me while i go back to burying bones i chiseled from rocks.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Are you referring to that South Park episode, because I was suddenly thinking that. Of course, if you want to get technical, it would have to be interdimensional. But then, that would be trying to bring logic into this. To use the term logic loosely.

Then again, it could be like that movie with Jodie Foster, Contact. So was that an alien pretending to be her Dad, or was it actually her Dad? I never could figure that out.

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

A follow-up story, which turns out to be about yet another Bush crony sporting an inflated resume.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-sci-nasa9feb09,0,5810060.story

13. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

yeah i read about that. That's pretty funny that he didn't have a degree... He was pretty much an impostor. Anyone know what exactly his position was? I mean is it possible that he was just a loon that overstepped boundaries on his own? I'm surprised there's no response to this from the administration, although i guess they'd rather keep the news as obscure as it is (front page on the NYTimes or no, it's not at scandal level yet. Science is too boring for people to make a scandal of it).

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ran across an article yesterday(?) wherein Deutch was whining about how he was the victim, the 'low hanging fruit' as he put it, for all those evil liberals to vent their anger on.

Whaaaaaaaa!