NASA Loses Apollo Mission Tapes

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by thedude110, Aug 14, 2006.

1. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Right. Those "One small step for man" tapes. Just kinda ... misplaced 'em.

Says a very mellow federal employee:

So, I lost my wedding ring for like two hours yesterday. And I was freaking out. And this is how NASA reacts when they lose one of the most important recordings ever?

Link, anyways ...

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

A lot of people move in and out of some of those areas, real easy to walk away with a bunch of stuff.

Likely it is in a private collection now.

Of course look at George Lucas, sends Star Wars to the salt mine for longterm storage -- but they forgot to check to see if the film was processed correctly, oops.

3. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

NASA probably lost the tapes on purpose because it shows that Han shot first.

Oops, wrong tape. :D

4. bartelby macrumors Core

5. lurcher macrumors regular

lurcher

They lost them deliberately because they are scared of the the public getting hold of the original tapes, which showed they were in fact being followed by other 'objects'. Only a tiny percentage of the full tapes were released at the time. Now the public want them all because they have heard rumours of what exactly went on up there, so they have convieniently misplaced them :rolleyes:

6. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What's the bet one of the tapes was used to record "King Ralph"??

7. Queso macrumors G4

I've been looking on eBay, but no sign as yet :D

8. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

9. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I wouldnt be surprised, seems the U.S. govt has gone to great lengths to eliminate any UFO related evidence. There is a lot film from fighter planes that we will never see. Its a regular pattern for our Freedom & Truth loving Govt. More then 1 Astronaut has testified before Congress that somethings up there.

10. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Funny thing is that Armstrong botched the quote as he descended from the ladder of Apollo 11's Lunar Excursion Module (LEM) and stepped onto the lunar surface. It was supposed to be "One small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind" :eek:

11. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Decidedly fishy. This isn't exactly gonna stop all those conspiracy theories is it. Nice work NASA.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Like a broken record.

13. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

From the CBC

14. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Wouldn't 700 boxes of tapes sort of........leave a BIG FOOTPRINT?! And they've been looking for them for over a year? That's one, small stretch for man, one giant lie to mankind. Something's not quite right about this.

15. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Oh dear.....time for the tin foil hats to come out....
    [​IMG]

16. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Come on, did you really expect anything less from the agency that confused Metric units and English units on the $125 million Mars Climate Orbiter.

17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They lost the tapes because at the end, you see Neil Armstrong take off his helmet and complain to the director how much his f***ing helmet f***ing itches. Then he takes out a Marlboro and starts smoking.

18. buffalo macrumors 65816

The link isn't working for me. "Page Not Found."

[EDIT] Just noticed that the original post is from last year. That explains the page not working.

There was a show on National Geographic or Discovery that explains the conspiracy theories. Take a look at it.

19. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

These conspiracy theories make me positively ill.

Terrible shame that they lost these tapes though, I hope they turn up.

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

According to an Australian programmer (who works on ways for the handicap to use computers) the "a" is there, it was just rendered inaudible to the human ear due to the tech used back then. Link

Considering the first link was to a "documentary" on FOX (which as we all know brought us the riveting Alien Autopsy special hosted by Jonathan Frakes) I'm afraid that effects the credibility of your other thinks in a negative fashion. As a consolation prize though I think I can make you a great deal on a bridge over in NYC if you are interested.

Lethal

21. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

In the first video I can probably kill one of the "reasons" why it is fake. They mention the flag waving in space. The guy was handling it making the flag wave. Since there is no friction in space, there was no force stopping the flag from waving. That is why the 2nd astronaut stopped the flag from waving. I didn't bother watching the other videos.

22. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

23. Queso macrumors G4

I had to turn that off after a few minutes. What a load of over-religious end-of-days claptrap. :rolleyes:

24. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

they could re-record them in the studio anyway ;).

25. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

I think it is clear what happened to the tapes...

2012 the Chinese will go to the moon and I would wager that they have the tapes and that the majority of the equipment to do the job will match the Apollo equipment with some modern updates...

Maybe the only reason that NASA was looking for them was to remember how to do it for their new initiatives...I mean we go from a capsule on a monsterous rocket to the space shuttle and now they are going back to the capsule on massive rocket idea - going back in time it seems...I guess I figured aftert he space shuttle there would be some kind of technological leap in the last almost 40 years that would preclude us from having to go back to capsule, but I digress...

Anyway, the Chinese have the tapes - it is like training for them...;)