NASA To Possibly Offer Prizes For Space Firsts

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mr. Anderson, Jun 23, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I see this as a good thing also. We need to stimulate private enterprise in space. I disagree with NASA that they are the only ones that can do the expensive and hazardous missions.

3. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Who do you know who's going to put up 10 Billion dollars for a manned mission to colonize the moon? 1 Trillion (one estimate) for a manned mission to Mars?

D :D

4. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    Paul Allen might pony up the money, or his Gatesness.

As for the trillion I dunno. Thats the GDP of California. Maybe we can convince them to live like a third world country for a year to pay for it...

I had seen an article that suggested that nasa just pony up money for prizes with certain restrictions. 10M for a heavy lift of so many tons of cargo to LEO with the stipulation that the company be willing to provide at least 10 lifts at that cost. There were a bunch of others, a space taxi between earth and LEO for 6 people, Y tons to GEO. This was in Analog about 5 or 6 years ago.

5. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ted Turner, Gates and other super wealthy individuals were approached a while back to help fund a multi-billion dollar attempt for Mars. They all declined :D

So, I think these prizes will remain one of the key motivators in getting people to space. I just hope I get a chance to see the Earth from orbit one day myself :D

D

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

It is amazing what Spaceship One was able to do.

I am concerned when you put profit ahead of anything else.