1. Welcome to the new MacRumors forums. See our announcement and read our FAQ

NASA to require second Rescue crew and craft on next shuttle mission

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Stelliform, Feb 22, 2004.

1. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

Link here....

I know we all wish that they would have taken the concerns of some of the engineers and at least had a space walk to check the wing on Columbia. Hopefully NASA will never make that mistake again.

2. macrumors P6

wdlove

It is very sad that they didn't do this prior to the accident. The indications and suggestions were there, but the supervisors just didn't listen.

3. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

It makes sense, but the thing is, if anything happens to the second ship then it will be even worse.....but its still good to have a back up.

D

4. macrumors 68000

Stelliform

In the article they say that the rescue ship would be manned by 4 astronauts. I know that the first shuttle flight was manned by two astronauts. (at least I am pretty sure.) Which I am not sure why they would risk 4 Astronauts.

Also I think they should direct their energy on working on a way to make the shuttle remote control. Then let the astronauts return in Soyuz modules. (A black eye for NASA though.) In this instance they could repair what they can in space and then remote it down and if it breaks up it is just a financial loss.