Nascar 2003

Discussion in 'Games' started by c2kvette, May 29, 2003.

1. c2kvette macrumors member

Downloaded the demo version of this game - I actually like EA Sports, Nascar Thunder 2004 on PS2 better than this. The graphics look a little gagged and the game doesn't seem to be real responsive. Could this be because I am running a demo and not the full version?

I'm running it on a
    17" G4 iMac
    800MHZ 786MB

2. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

3. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

4. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

No it could be that they never made a Nascar game to sell well and it was programed like ****!

No Nascar game, for any platform ever playied well.

5. mangoman macrumors 6502a

mangoman

I pulled the demo down yesterday and took it for a spin (pun intended...barr harr harr). I'm not impressed. Felt... clunky. The steering was jerky. In a word: lame.

I wish someone would reissue something violent and filthy and beautiful like Carmageddon II. Now THAT was a fine driving game! Would love to see it revamped for Open GL with lush graphics (i.e. more detailed violence)..

Am I getting off track here? (another bad pun intended).

6. iAmAzN macrumors 6502

Although I haven't played much nascar games but I have played a nascar game on my friends Xbox... it seemed to play well (of course that is probably the only nascar game i've played ever) but in other words, i haven't seen a good nascar game for computers yet.

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

I have Nascar Thunder 2003 for the xBox, and it runs very smooth. The graphics and detail are right there.

The one thing that pisses me off is the coaching section of the game, in which you follow a specific path and have to beat certain times. The coaching assistance in that part of the game is bull.

8. job macrumors 68040

job

Hah, that's a joke.

Did you ever read why Westlake codenamed the first NASCAR port "Finest Hour?" They had specifically optimized the port for Altivec, thus it ran like a dream on most G4 machines. Whether you approve of the gameplay has nothing to do as to how well it was coded/ported.

9. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

The code name had nothing to do with the optimizations. It referred to Winston Churchill's "Finest Hour" account of WW2, and by way of indirection, the Winston Cup in NASCAR.

10. job macrumors 68040

job

Meh. :)

I just based that off some of the posts I had read in on the IMG board.

On a related note, does the game itself have optimizations, or am I just completely loony?

11. Brad Oliver macrumors regular

It does indeed. It is SMP-savvy and uses some Altivec code for the physics simulation. This holds true for both Nascar 2002 and 2003.

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

But that still doesn't mean it can't run baddly.

I checked it out, eh it was ok, it ran decently when I killed everything I was running.