Nasty itunes/frontrow problems

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by willybNL, Jan 29, 2007.

1. willybNL macrumors 6502

I have 2 problems:

When I'm using some mp3 music (thus no drm) frontrow keeps on complaining on some songs I do not have permission to play it... while I can play it in iTunes without any trouble... what is that for something irritating.
    (music is on a firewire disc in fat32, in mp3, maybe it helps to debug).

See attachment: since today iTunes is giving this sometimes... can't seem to repair it. Only closing itunes and starting up fixed it.

-macbook core duo, last versions of everything

Someone any idea?

Attached Files:

2. oceanmonster macrumors regular

Jan 15, 2007
    Use AAC files. The ones you rip off cd's have no Digital Rights Management encoded into them only the ones you download from the itunes store have Digital Rights Management encoded in them. You can tell the difference in the file extension .m4a (Unprotected AAC) .m4p (Protected AAC) Use those AAC files because 1. they have better audio quality than .mp3 and 2. AAC (.m4a and .m4p) Are apples exclusive encoding that works best in their software.
  3. willybNL thread starter macrumors 6502

mp3 has no DRM at all... and my whole collection is already mp3 (because my mp3 player supports this too). I guess it's just a bug in iTunes?
  4. whooleytoo macrumors 603

Aug 2, 2002
    Cork, Ireland.
    Could it be file (as in Finder) permissions, rather than anything to do with DRM? Do a get info on one of the music files in Finder and see if the owner you're logged in as has read and/or write access to it.
  5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    1) There are some problems with certain mp3s that are ripped by unknown sources, and get wrong type and/or creator (or something, I'm working from memory here :eek:), and which can be fixed with the SetFile application (part of Developer Tools) in Terminal or some AppleScripting. I had this problem a while back when I migrated from OS 9 to OS X and had a small portion of mp3s with me...

2) That's a known bug. If you go into iTMS for a second, and back you force a redraw of the headers, and that should fix it... until the next time it occurs, or Apple fixes it in an update... ;)