Nasty tearing in UT2004

Discussion in 'Games' started by ToastyX, Oct 19, 2005.

1. ToastyX macrumors regular

I get nasty tearing in UT2004. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 6800 Ultra with a Dell 2405FPW. Is there any way to alleviate this?

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Tearing? Would that be your term for the OpenGL sparkles I'm seeing where things don't quite mesh, probably because there are driver problems again?

3. ToastyX thread starter macrumors regular

No, that sounds like something else.

Tearing happens when the screen refreshes while a frame is being drawn, so one part of the screen has the new frame while the other part of the screen has the old frame. The tearing I'm seeing is quite nasty and much worse than it should be. It makes one part of the screen appear to jiggle or stutter while the other part of the screen is smooth. I never had this problem on my Linux machine with the same monitor, and I didn't have vsync enabled, so why does it happen here? More importantly, how do I make it stop? :(

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I haven't seen that happen for 20 years. Sorry to hear of that. Does it only happen with that monitor? I can only offer that you try dialing down various options, one at a time, to assess the differences.

5. cubist macrumors 68020

Are you using native resolution? Because that is an awful lot of pixels to be shoveling around. Agree with buosozuku, try reducing things and see if it gets better. I'm very pleased with UT2004 on Mac, it runs fine on my 1.2GHz iBook.

6. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

7. ToastyX thread starter macrumors regular

I just tried plugging in my old Samsung 191T, and it happens with that monitor as well. I tried playing around with all sorts of options, but nothing I've tried makes a difference.

Yes, but it happens at any resolution. Besides, a dual G5 with a 6800 Ultra should be able to handle it just fine.

That's just the thing. I can't find a way to do this on my Mac. How do I do this?

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I think you can enable it by opening the "whatever.ini" file. Show Package Contents or Application Support should get you there, then just open it up in TextEdit and look for vertical sync.

9. ToastyX thread starter macrumors regular

I've already tried editing ~/Library/Application Support/Unreal Tournament 2004/System/UT2004.ini and setting all instances of UseVSync to True, but that has no effect on my system.

10. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

I guess it could be your resolution. Some are just buggy depending on your setup.

11. Santaduck macrumors 6502a

Santaduck

I'd recommend the folks over at Clan MacAddict's UT2Kn division:
    http://www.macaddict.com/forums/forum/58

There might be a few people that test for mac ut2004 over at our forums too that may be able to help over at macologist. Sounds odd though.

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Use ATI Displays to enable or disable vsync on any game. Well, except that won't work on nVidia cards.... Though I must say I've never seen any appreciable tearing on UT2004 on my Mac, even with vsync off. That's on a 9600 and a X800. So it's your display, or your graphics card, or the drivers.

--Eric

13. ToastyX thread starter macrumors regular

Like I mentioned, it happens at any resolution.

Then what does?

14. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

Nothing, as far as I know. That's why I always recommend ATI cards for Mac users, because ATI supports Macs and nVidia doesn't really.

--Eric

15. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

There is a huge difference. nVidia creates reference boards and drivers and leaves everything else up to the various companies for manufacturing and software development and optimisation. ATI does most of their own work, including selling their own boards. It's only of late that they've allowed 3rd parties to manufacture boards with their chipsets.

I don't care for nVidia personally, but they do have great technology.

16. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

My brother runs UT04 on a PC and uses ATI card. He has to "Flush" his system through the log window when his video is acting up. I don't know what he types in but it works. That said I personally have not had any video problems on a Mac, but PCs thats another story from what my PC friends tell me.

17. gogosama, Oct 20, 2005
    Last edited: May 31, 2012
  18. ToastyX thread starter macrumors regular

I'm getting fed up. This is why I started that bug thread. Macs are full of problems, and nobody seems to notice. Every time I try to do something on my Mac, some annoying problem gets in the way which I can do nothing about. This is another one of those problems.

19. forumBuddy macrumors member

See if you can find on how to enable VSync within UT2004. In ATI drivers you can enable it for all games, but there must be a way to just do it within the game as well.

20. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I dunno; nobody else seems to have this tearing problem. I certainly don't, as I said before. I understand your frustration, but accusing people of not noticing problems, when in fact they don't HAVE those problems, doesn't really help.

--Eric

21. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Do you have some sort of visual hacks/customisations on your system? I find that the majority of Mac users don't have a lot of annoying problems unless they try to modify the interface.