Nat. Review's Top 50 Conservative Rock Songs -- No, I'm not kidding.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mactastic, May 26, 2006.

1. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I'm so super serial!

Freakin Hilarious.

(Use BugMeNot if you can't read the article at the link.)

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

this has got to be a joke. or is this what delay's staff put together after deciding colbert really was a logical, conservative voice?

3. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

I don't think so... And they really seem to be stretching on a lot of these. I mean - I had no idea CCR had written a conservative anthem, or that the Motor Law in Red Barchetta had obviously been written by an environmentalist. I suppose National Review never listened to Red Tide...

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There's something oddly hilarious and ironic with the choice of Bodies by Sex Pistols because it conveys an anti-abortion message.

And then even more surreal...Jesus Jones? Living Colour? The Cranberries?

Now I'm ashamed that I like so many songs on this list. :eek:

Although I don't like any of the Fogey Rock™ on the list.

5. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i've actually not looked through the whole list. are the dixie chicks on it?

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Now be nice to the neoconservatives...you know they're not too smart. :eek: ;) :D

7. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

No - but I'm sure it's only because they advocated using poison rather than a gun the way Aerosmith did.;)

8. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

LOL that's a good point!

Re: the list? I think someone's trying to stretch it a bit.

9. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Some things self-satirize. Perfect.

I especially liked the inclusion of the Clash. They had a lot more great right-wing anthems on other album, "Sandinista!"

10. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i sent the link to a friend of mine. here's his response:

11. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

Did anyone else find hilarious irony in their number one pick being the straw that Bush grasped when he forget the end of "Fool me once, shame on me..."?

12. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Ah, no... I hadn't picked up on that. Good catch!

So while those cool cats at National Review were being so embarrassingly lame, why didn't they include Ronald Reagan's favorite rock tune, "Born in the USA"?

13. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

If you know the history behind some of these songs, you know how absolutely ridiculous and convoluted some of the reasoning is.

In addition to the "Taxman" facts listed above (the Beatles made millions in the early 60s and saw almost none of it), Lennon's White Album version of Revloution No.1 says "count me out... in". The album version is slower and longer than the single version you typically hear on the radio. Lennon said at the time he held doubts about the use of violence to change things. And lest we mistake the "Chairman Mao" line, let's not forget this is the same man who wrote "Imagine". Which is strangely absent from the list.

One more from my files: Ben Folds Five's "Brick"
    Folds wrote this song about a girlfriend he had when he was younger who got pregnant and they chose to have an abortion. It was a very personal and emotional piece, and Folds has repeatedly said he didn't want to make any kind of political or social statement, that it was just a song about something that happened to him and how it felt.
    I've heard similar sentiments from guys I know who've had a girlfriend get an abortion. Even decades later, it's just one of those thoughts that sticks in the back of your head, like, "man if she wouldn't have had the abortion, I'd have an X year old kid today."
    Which is understandable. It's not something I've had to deal with personally, so the closest sentiment I can compare is "damn, I'm glad I wore a rubber".

14. takao macrumors 68040

takao

the offspring and blink 182 ? metallica and iron maiden ? you gotta be kidding me it _has_ to be a joke

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

after having read through a few more descriptions....

isn't it interesting how things like the collapse of soviet-style communism, the fall of the berlin wall, and totalitarianistic regimes ending are, apparently, exclusively conservative victories?

16. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

I guess only conservatives hate paying taxes, object to intrusive authoritarian governments, and are critical of crimes committed by people of all political stripes. By putting on such blinders is the only way I can figure one can take most of the lyrics quoted out of context and transform them into conservative anthems.

I don't know what The Who's politics are like today, but when the lyrics "Won't Get Fooled Again" were written they weren't penned to decry the excesses of the left. Vietnam War anyone? Only those truly desperate to expropriate other's art can interpret these songs as wellsprings of conservative thought.

edit: here's two very good critiques of this nonsense: one by Rude Pundit and another by R.J. Eskow. Now, pardon me while I go listen to of my collection of good "old fogey" rock from those halcyon conservative days of yore.

17. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

oh yeah, revolution by the beatles, that's a super right wing conservative song if I ever heard one.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

On reflection, I think this sort of silliness is a good sign. I take it as more evidence that the conservative movement is completely out of ideas.

19. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was thinking that too. Plus, Hillary hated that last one so, you know, 'nuff said. Except of course she actually did stand by her man, and is beaten up by the right for doing so. This list is ridiculous, and I agree that it is a sign of desperation by a movement that is quickly loosing steam.

But hey, if you like the Clash, you must be a conservative. :rolleyes:

Edit: Said best here.
    Oops, didn't realize Sayhey already posted the link to the Rude Pundit. Good read anyway.

20. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

When The Rude Pundit is on, he's amazing to read. When he's not, it's ugly.

21. mactastic thread starter macrumors 68040

mactastic

So apparently there are more than 50 rock songs that speak to conservatives (who knew, right?). The NRO is back with #'s 51 through 101. Good stuff. I had no idea Rush was so 'conservative'. :p

22. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Well, it's official -- these guys don't know when they've made fools of themselves. I especially liked the choice of "Back in the USA," which, because it's "patriotic" is automatically "conservative." Get it? Hey, maybe it was all those hamburgers sizzling on an open griddle, night and day. I mean, how much more conservative can you get than frying burgers?

23. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahaha.

Now I know this is a joke.

24. Sayhey macrumors 68000

Sayhey

Anyone who can list any song by the Dead Kennedys as a conservative anthem doesn't have a clue about anything. I'm also amused at the absurd assumption that any reference to a religious view makes a song a conservative one. Since when do conservatives have a monopoly on religion?