**National Do Not Call Registry for your Cellular**

Discussion in 'Community' started by _bnkr612, Dec 9, 2004.

1. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx

In a few weeks, cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing
    companies and you will start to receive sales calls. Call this number within 5
    days from today from your cell phone, 888-382-1222 which is the number for the
    National Do Not Call Registry sponsored by the Federal Trade Commission. It
    blocks your number for 5 years.

I registered through the website.

Cheers.

2. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Thanks for the heads' up! I'm registered. I wonder if they'll ever have/need a Skype do not call registry.

Edit: Well, I *think* I'm registered. The site's not particularly helpful: after I click the "submit" button, it gives me the spinning arrow-thingy for a while and then returns to the same registry page, with no indication that my registration was successful.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

registered thanks for the info! oh and WordMunger, i had to use camino to get it to work, try that or firefox

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

you're missing this:

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Thanks for the link, the site is kinda bogged down though, must be heavy traffic.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

btw...

snopes link

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Thanks for posting this... the only thing worse than getting "wrong number" calls on my cell phone to waste my minutes would be telemarketers.

8. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I sometimes am leery about these things....maybe total BS?

Maybe Im paranoid, but how do we know that the government isnt just doing this to get people to register their name, email, and cell number to keep tabs on people?

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

afaik, it's explicitly illegal for telemarketers to call cell phones as it costs the receiver. (used minutes.) i don't think this has changed.

this is just like junk fax - it's illegal because it costs money.

in a rare instance you receive a telemarketing call on your cell phone, calmly tell them that they need to remove the number from their database because it's a cell phone number and that if the problem persists, you will go to small claims court and claim damages.

so i don't think this is necessary...

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

It makes you wonder how the telemarketers get your number in the first place. I can understand with a landline they can scan/OCR the phone book, but your cellphone number isn't listed in there unless you specifically ask for it (in NZ anyway). In fact, over here it's entirely possible to have an anonymous phone - buy a connection pack (with cash if you're paranoid) and don't fill in the survey for $10 free credit.

11. _bnkr612 thread starter macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

It seemed shady, but I think it is legit. I went through the process and it seemed to be alright. We'll find out sooner or later when you get a phone call wondering if you want your breasts/penises to be larger.

Cheers.

12. aloofman macrumors 68020

aloofman

My only phone is a cellphone and I've never received a telemarketer call on it because of the regulations cited above. Cellphones get their own number prefixes (the first three digits), so the automatic dialers can easily be programmed not to call that whole block of numbers. In addition to the prohibition on unsolicited calls that charge the recipient -- like most incoming cellphone calls -- it's also illegal to call a cellphone with an automatic dialer.

Put it all together and this national wireless number registry does not give your number to telemarketers, at least under current law. Also, Verizon Wireless has opted not to join the number registry, at least for now. That's not a plug for Verizon, just an FYI.

13. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

It's called "war dialing." They've got machines that automatically call every number in a exchange in sequence. It's an illegal practice in the US, but also very common, especially among junk faxers. Nearly all junk fax is fraudulent and so is large proportion of telemarketing so these guys aren't the type to worry about small matters like legality.

14. Toreador93 macrumors regular

I got a telemarketing call for some magazine subscription on my cell phone. I was just waking up, so I didn't think to ask any questions or get snotty with them. I'll be sure to interogate them next time. :p

15. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the do not call registry is completely legit; i signed up my home number as soon as DNC was offered. it works great -- instead of getting 2-7 calls / day, now it's down to about 1 illegal call a month. i take their information and then report them.

what i was questioning above is whether or not there's a danger my cellphone will suddenly start getting called.

16. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

It is definitely time to sign up for this. I'd be pretty annoyed being interrupted in meetings and such by telemarketers.

17. takao macrumors 68040

takao

boy i remember the uproar when 2-3 small companies tried telemarketing over here ...
    so far 0 telemarketing calls on my cellphone and 1 on our normal wired phone (one of those 2 companies)

as for trying that illegally in austria: good luck

looking on the watch note the time etc. asking the spammer: a few minutes

e-mail to the "Fernmeldebehörde" (federal bureau regulating telecommunication/radio permittances etc.): 15 minutes

knowing that the spammer's phoneline get cut the next day and he will be pulled in front of court for a 40.000€ fine: priceless

18. Riot_Mac macrumors regular

this is a hoax... it is illegal for telemarketers to call your cell phone becuase it costs you. I saw this on cnn and they said that it will never happen. dont bother signing up.