National Rifle Association Enemies List Now Includes Scientists, Zoos

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, Aug 6, 2013.

1. steve knight, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2013

macrumors 68000

steve knight

as if we need any more reason not to listen to the NRA got to protect lead I mean it is a cool thing and all.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/05/nra-enemies-list_n_3708593.html

2. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. macrumors 6502a

skottichan

Ow... my brain.

So on top of climate change, these people believe that lead-poisoning is "junk science"? I want to make sure I understand their POV.

4. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    Too much meth.

I'm thinking about that video iMike posted about Goldman Sachs etc buying up metals and the facilities to store them to drive up prices which led to billions in profits. Aluminium and copper were the two they had a racket with. I wonder if the same is going on with lead, and this is part of a move to get the public to fight against any legislative move to further restrict the use of lead.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

steve knight

Why? It may screw your mind permanently. Starting to remind me of creationists and flat earthers.

6. macrumors 603

Sounds like the people in charge of the NRA might be exhibiting symptoms of lead poisoning.:D

Gotta love low-intelligence morons who think their right to shoot high velocity projectiles at rocks and empty beer cans is more important than the well-being of our entire planet and the survival of all of it's species. Can't get more selfish than that.

7. macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Good damn scienctists and their logical reasoning and peer reviewed research. Facts have no place in this debate! FREEEDOM! :cool:

8. macrumors 6502

lannister80

Color me not surprised.

They're a lobbying group, and will do ANYTHING to get more guns purchased. ANYTHING.

9. AhmedFaisal, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2013

10. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

11. macrumors 68020

12. macrumors demi-god

Hugh

I didn't know we were still using lead bullets. :/ How did they get banning lead bullets would be a ban on hunting, I don't get it? :/

Hugh

13. macrumors 65816

This is what I was wondering. Why does it matter if the bullets are full of lead or cheese? Does the lead give the bullets extra power because of weight or something? Or is this just a reason to get angry and scream about stuff?

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

steve knight

it is because it is a backdoor way of eliminating guns. I guess they leaned about this with the GOP and think everyone does it.

15. macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

Lead, and sometimes depleted uranium, is indeed used because its density gives extra inertia to the bullet.

Of course Lead has many useful properties. Yet most industries have stopped using more than trace amounts of it because the dangers outweigh the benefits.

16. APlotdevice, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013

macrumors 68030

APlotdevice

You have to remember that these are the same kind of people who take the bible literally. To them God controls the climate. God put animals on this earth for us to do with what we will. For this reason they cannot accept the notion that we could be permanently destroying these things.

17. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

I didn't know bullets still had lead in them. I'm all for banning its use here because the lead isn't collected and disposed of safely after usage. There just isn't a practical way of doing that.

However, I do not own a gun, nor do I ever want to, so this affects me from an environmental standpoint only. Are there any hunters on this forum who have used both lead and leadless bullets and care to offer their opinions on the recreational impact of such a ban?

18. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Your question made me search a bit and I found this article regarding lead vs. lead-free bullets that had nothing to do with hunting. While it isn't a consequence I expected, I have to believe we have the wherewithal to figure it out.

It really sounds like a bit of b.s. to me. Science is constantly having to create new ways to assess and measure new materials. Someone surely can figure this stuff out.

This actually sounds like an opportunity to me. Once you determine the unique "signature" of a bullet you could use that to pinpoint or exclude a suspect. In the end, you don't halt progress because it requires you to change or advance your scientific methods. You change your methods. I'd prefer a little less hand-wringing and a little more "can-do" attitude.

19. thread starter macrumors 68000

steve knight

I can see the NRA going after that too.

20. macrumors 6502a

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Phasing out lead for hunting shouldn't be news to anyone. Lead shot has been banned for all hunting of migratory birds (e.g. ducks, geese) in the U.S. since 1991.

http://www.fws.gov/hunting/whatres.html

Some combination of {tungsten, iron, copper, nickel, tin, bismuth} is typically used to make shot instead of lead.

http://www.fws.gov/news/NewsReleases/showNews.cfm?newsId=45735D9B-65BF-03E7-2A3B0D75A0A06180

I don't think there is much momentum yet to ban lead in all uses, but, people should be aware that it is deadly to birds, and therefore, is an issue in specific areas, such as condor territory, where hunting with lead bullets is banned.

One alternative to lead for many uses is bismuth. Bullets may be made of a tin/bismuth alloy. The main disadvantage is that bismuth is that it is relatively expensive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bismuth

(Lead is also quite toxic to people, by the way, not just birds.)

21. macrumors regular

When you are talking about recreational shooting, all those bullets come to rest somewhere and their may or may not be an environmental impact if the area isn't kept clean. A properly managed range that is KEPT CLEAN will have no negative impact. slob shooters in open areas that leaver trash do more harm than lead bullets. Hunting on the other hand is a different situation. If I shoot ONE ROUND at a deer then collect my animal, there is literally no environmental impact. more often than not, if the hunter makes a wise projectile choice, and proper shot placement the bullet may not come out the other side. every wild pig I have killed was taken with a 175 grain berger VLD (which is a lead core bullet) fired from a rifle chambered in .308 winchester. Every one of those pigs dropped where they stood or only ran a few yards. I never had an exit wound, and recovered the mangled bullet when we processed the meat. no negative impact on the environment

22. macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Okay lets make a trade.

Okay so in CA you can't use steel core ammo because the gun gabber-nuts claim it is armor piercing and now you can't have lead because it is bad for the environment?!?!

If these gun gabber-nuts want to ban bullets with lead in them, then I say legalize machine guns as non-nfa items again and we will live with the lead ammo ban.

23. macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

A serious and well-thought argument.

24. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Most people aren't as good at shooting as you are ;).

I'd have a lot more sympathy if other non-lead bullets weren't widely available. Complaining about this is like complaining about the demise of leaded petrol.

25. macrumors 68030

.Andy

Not even remotely "literally".