Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Nationwide Insurance last month released Nationwide Mobile [App Store, Free], an iPhone application designed to assist those who have been involved in a traffic accidents. While the application offers several features for Nationwide customers that aid them in finding towing companies and starting the claims process, many of the features in the application's "Accident Toolkit" can guide any driver through the steps that need to be taken following an accident and assist with documenting the details of the accident.
Features
* Calls emergency services
* Helps connect Nationwide customers with towing
* Helps you collect and exchange accident info
* Stores your insurance info for easy lookup
* Helps Nationwide customers start the claims process
* Locates Nationwide agents near you
* Takes accident photos and lets you record details
* Handy flashlight function for rainy nights – or anytime
Last week, Nationwide also began advertising Nationwide Mobile with a television commercial, promoting it as the first claims application for the iPhone from an insurance company:

Article Link: Nationwide Insurance Promoting New iPhone Application

Mac-Addict

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
London
My name is Kathy and I'm such a **** driver I crash very regularly, so much so I need to download an app to keep track of them.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Unless your phone is in your pocket/ handbag in the car (mine is always in a pocket near the dash) wouldn't it not after a crash be in pieces over the road/ in your car????

CocoaPuffs

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2008
Unfortunately, having an iPhone app doesn't improve where it counts, which is becoming a more reliable insurance company.

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
Now if they would bring an iphone app for banking, (along with natwest, rbs & lloyds) that would be very handy.

I can see it now, "i was just checking what to do in a crash on my iphone then bam!"

Cartoonkid

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2009
I can see it now, "i was just checking what to do in a crash on my iphone then bam!"

LOL! Can you say self-fulfilling prophecy? Maybe that's Nationwide's ploy.

Besides, who wants an app that you can't use? Once you download it, you gotta run out and have an accident so you can try out all the cool features, right? :D

Eyedn

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2009
LOL! Can you say self-fulfilling prophecy? Maybe that's Nationwide's ploy.

Besides, who wants an app that you can't use? Once you download it, you gotta run out and have an accident so you can try out all the cool features, right? :D

Haha, exactly....!

Banks these days, what are they up to??

Slurpy2k8

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2008
In all honesty, I'd feel like a complete douche taking out my phone and opening this app after an accident. "Hey, just hold on a minute while it records our location". Eh, at least they're trying, and its a decent iPhone ad.

chriszzz

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2008
Just another company making a useless app so they can brag about how progressive they are by having an iPhone app.

alchemistmuffin

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2007
I hope developers know that they cannot do television ad for apps in the app store.

ONLY APPLE IS ALLOWED TO PROMOTE APPS ON APP STORE VIA TV.

addicted44

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2005
Just another company making a useless app so they can brag about how progressive they are by having an iPhone app.
All the snarky posts aside, this will be a very useful app (assuming it is well designed and not buggy). I can see several major uses:

1) Taking pictures is huge. It gives you much easier opportunities to make a claim.
2) These days hardly anyone carries a pen and paper around. Taking down information in this app can be extremely useful. In the future, it could even be extended to automatically get info from another person if they also have an iPhone.
3) Its helping you easily connect to Emergency Services, as well as Towing. All from the same place. How is this not a good thing?
4) You can start the insurance process almost immediately. Your insurance information is right there in the app. You don't need to try and get to your dashboard and fuddle through a bunch of papers (which have possibly been ruined) to start with the insurance proceedings.

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
Huh?! Does she say "You've crashed into a TRAIN"?!?!

Or is it me ears!?
That's what I heard.

From what I've seen, if you crash into a train and survive the last thing you are going to think about is contacting the insurance company.

First, you will be looking for a place to clean your drawers. :)

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
I hope developers know that they cannot do television ad for apps in the app store.

ONLY APPLE IS ALLOWED TO PROMOTE APPS ON APP STORE VIA TV.

I'm not sure this is true...but I can't wait for the Apple ad, so you hit a train and now there is an app for that...

All kidding aside this a great idea and will help if someone hits you. One it help you get all the right info for you claim, gives you a chance to take a photo, record the place you are at and start your claim. All of which can be done before the cops get to the seen...

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
From what I've seen, if you crash into a train and survive the last thing you are going to think about is contacting the insurance company.)

But the FIRST thing (after pushing your insides into a comfier position) you are going to think about will be getting pictures of the amazing event to show your friends. Nationwide even thought of that!

(It actually sounds like a fairly complete and well-done app, and most accidents are fender-benders that wouldn't disable a phone, after all. Still THE most important function of the app wasn't listed: add to Nationwide name recognition. Fair enough--it's free!)

I'm not sure this is true...but I can't wait for the Apple ad, so you hit a train and now there is an app for that...

:D :D

fixyourthinking

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2002
Greenville SC
I concur ... very useful

All the snarky posts aside, this will be a very useful app (assuming it is well designed and not buggy). I can see several major uses:

1) Taking pictures is huge. It gives you much easier opportunities to make a claim.
2) These days hardly anyone carries a pen and paper around. Taking down information in this app can be extremely useful. In the future, it could even be extended to automatically get info from another person if they also have an iPhone.
3) Its helping you easily connect to Emergency Services, as well as Towing. All from the same place. How is this not a good thing?
4) You can start the insurance process almost immediately. Your insurance information is right there in the app. You don't need to try and get to your dashboard and fuddle through a bunch of papers (which have possibly been ruined) to start with the insurance proceedings.

All the turds saying this is useless haven't even downloaded and looked at it. This app would be extremely helpful - especially if ALL insurance companies would have their own app.

The app also has a VALID "proof of insurance" eCard with a number that the police officer can call to verify if he won't accept.

It also has a free flashlight app built in that's pretty cool.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.