Native .avi/divx player for Intel yet?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by indigoflowAS, Mar 29, 2006.

1. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

Are there any players that will play .avi's correctly and natively on Intel-based computers yet? I downloaded the experimental build of VLC and it didnt quite work. Even better would be something to convert those .avi's to .mov/.mp4.
    Thanks!

2. milo macrumors 604

Not much yet. 3ivx hasn't announced anything. DIVX has a beta codec and player, but none of the avi's I have are in that format so I don't even know if it works.

3. TAV macrumors regular

I've had success with MPlayer (version 2.0B10) for intel as well as the nightly intel build of VLC as of 3/28. If you have not tested the latest VideoLan build, give it a shot, as they've worked out alot of issues.

The latest DivX codec pack for intel and the XviD build for intel have really moved my QT along towards playing those pesky files as well.

When I'm in a pinch, I just drop convert to .mp4 using iSquint. It ain't fancy, but it's damn fast and converts pretty much everything I throw at it.

4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Cybix

i downloaded a nightly build of VLC last night and It seems to work reasonably well. some glitchiness, but otherwise not bad, a taste of things to come!

5. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

I use divx doctor to convert .avi to .mov. I'm not sure if this will work on intels yet... can you download non-universal software through rosetta, and run it?

6. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

Thanks for the pointers. In addition, upon further inquiry...I realized that the most recent builds are at the bottom of the page, not the top!:D VLC is working rather well...silly me.

7. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

most defintely worth a shot. thanks!

8. milo macrumors 604

Thanks for the tips. The xvid website seems to be down, couldn't download it.

mplayer choked on the movies I have, it did video fine but crapped out on audio. Which is weird since QT already played the audio part of those movies fine.

But VLC worked right, I can finally watch this stuff again. Haven't tried isquint yet, that will be next.

But hopefully the codecs will get ported soon. I've got a mini and I'd like to use Front Row to watch these, and share them over itunes.

I tried divx doctor, didn't work on intel because it depends on codecs that aren't native yet.

9. TAV macrumors regular

Just a note: I've tried DivX Dr. II a couple of times on my intel machine. I've found the conversions to be slow and buggy (perhaps due to the Rosetta emulation?) - although it used to work great on my old G5.

Hence, I'm sticking with iSquint. Fast as heck and no glitches...