Native Gmail Client for iOS is Released [Update: App Pulled]

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 2, 2011.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The native Gmail client for iPhone and iPad has been released:
    The app has several noteworthy features including push notifications for new messages; easy photo uploads; on the iPad, a similar side-by-side split view for reading an inbox and message at once; and more. A native Gmail app was rumored to be near completion earlier this week.

Update: A number of readers are reporting that the app has a significant bug related to push notifications and is giving errors to users upon installation.

Update: Google confirms the bug and has pulled the app until it can be fixed.

[​IMG]

Gmail for iPhone and iPad is a free download from the App Store.

Article Link: Native Gmail Client for iOS is Released [Update: App Pulled]

2. macrumors regular

anyone getting a notification error of "no valid 'aps-environment' entitlement string found for application" when you first start it up?

basically, it seems notifications are broken for it. Great.

3. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

yep, me too

4. macrumors 6502a

andylyon

Yeah got that also straight away!

5. macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Yep. Broken here too.

6. macrumors regular

phew, so it's not just me!

So, how in the world did THAT kind of error/bug make it through testing and the app store approval process?

7. macrumors regular

Yup... +1

8. macrumors 6502a

Lol, leave it to google to release a non-finished app. Seriously? How hard is it to actually make sure the "public" version is really ready without major bugs. Do they not run the app before they submit?

9. macrumors newbie

Same here. Doesn't support multiple inboxes either. Not any better than built in email app.

10. macrumors newbie

Same here

Deleted app, restarted phone, re-downloaded again.

Same thing.
    Nice Start Google : (

11. macrumors 6502

I thought we already had a native Gmail reader. It was the built-in mail reader. Sorry, but I can't get too excited about yet another redundant app.

12. macrumors regular

Or the web interface. Attachments are nice, but...

13. macrumors 6502a

richard4339

Just submitted a bug report through the App Store to Google; though I'm sure they're already getting flooded.

14. macrumors 65816

Shame

Doesn't do multiple accounts

Plus got an error about notifications on start up like everyone else mentioned

Good effort, long way to go.

15. macrumors 68000

Don't understand why anyone was excited about this, don't we all know Google can't design things to save their life? I knew it would be **** the same minute I heard of it.

16. macrumors 6502a

mattwolfmatt

It will probably be in beta until 2017.

17. macrumors 65816

Sneakz

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Installed it, then promptly deleted it. No multiple accounts, push not working as already noted.

18. macrumors 6502

I have to agree with others that this just seems redundant. Before you know it, every E-Mail service is going to have their own app. Not to mention the blatant rip off of the Facebook app, the slide-in menu from the left, tsk tsk.

And it basically serves the same functions as the Mail app, maybe plus a few extras. Plus until Apple allows(which I don't see it happening) you to change your default application for specific functions, it will remain useless.

19. macrumors 6502a

crisss1205

I wonder what exactly is throwing that error? Maybe something on Googles end? I know you have to have a separate production and development push certificates. Hopefully it is just a simple server issue on Googles end that will be fixed by the end of the day.

20. macrumors newbie

How is this better than the Mail app?

How is this any better or different than the default Mail app? I don't know why this app would be necessary or why people are excited about it. Can someone tell me the benefits of this over the Mail app? Thanks.

:confused:

21. macrumors regular

rofl it doesn't even work. Not that I was going to but this just sets it in stone more that I would never buy a Google Android phone XD if they can't make a simple app for an iPhone god knows what would happen to their mobile OS

22. macrumors 65816

I'm not seeing it on my iPhone or iPad in the app store.
    I can download it on iTunes though.

Weird.

23. macrumors regular

i use gmail as well as a few other google-hosted email domains.... my "default" configuration is likely to remain the ios mail app with exchange/push, but it'll be nice to have the ability to search the entire mailbox in a native app when needed.

i don't see myself enabling the push notifications for the app.

24. macrumors 68000

It's a ****ing webview.

Good lord, I could code this app in a week.

25. macrumors member

If you search "gmail" in the app store on your device, it's way down on the third page of results.