Native iMovie format?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mulletman13, Mar 13, 2006.

1. mulletman13 macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Hey guys,

As an experiment for a class, I'm editing a trilogy of movies together into chronological order (Back to the Future trilogy to be specific). I've ripped my set of DVDs to my Intel Mac, but for each movie it says it is taking about 405 minutes to import into iMovie.

Is there any format I could convert the files to that would make them be imported quicker? All I need to do is make cuts... could I just do this with quicktime pro and copy and pasting?

Also, will 75 gigs be enough for editing this and whatnot? I want to know the easiest/best/quickest way to do this.

Thanks, and I hope I get some advice!

Ken

2. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

iMovie uses .dv as its native format. You will probably not be able to convert all those DVD's to .dv, as it takes up a ton of space. I would try to copy-paste those segments you want into a new player in Quicktime Pro and then export them as .dv for use in iMovie.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Can't comment on the hard drive space issues, but I do know that iMovie will work with both DV and MPEG-4 video footage.

Sounds like you ripped the BTTF trilogy onto your hard drive, so you're looking to import the footage into iMovie. You could try using Handbrake to convert the DVD into MPEG-4 (maybe start with a short chapter so you don't waste time) and then import that into a new iMove project.

ft

4. mulletman13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

mulletman13

Looks like cutting it up in QT Pro is the route I'm going to have to take... even though I did rip the movie into mp4 with Handbrake, it takes an outrageous amount of time to import to iMovie... d'oh!

Any other suggestions are welcome :)

5. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

The other suggestion that I have would be to use something to convert the DVDs to DV.

I've played with DVDxDV once, but it's $25 shareware. The other applications are Cinematize and I think MPEG StreamClip.

ft