Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Hey Editors,

I am sorry but I feel the article title is either incomplete, or misleading.

I have Skype on the iPhone4, and iPad2, and both have video capabilities. I am not sure why it says "bringing to.." when it clearly already has.

Users are also commenting they are welcoming to finally have video on the ipad, which confuses me, as it .. already has.

The article should be about either how high the quality in the demo is - since the camera is just crap on the iPad2, or at least be about it finally being a NATIVE app ..

It's a bit misleading that it mentions iOS Skype has voice chat and voice calling, but leaves out video, as if it doesn't have it.

I've just opened my iPhone Skype version on the iPad2 and called myself on my other Skype account - a video call .. You can see the screens to demo this; showing the not-ios-native app to clearly have video capabilities already; which in my opinion means I am either confused, misread your titles, or the title shouldn't imply video is new, but that the app being native is new.

Skype is a great app, I use it daily, I video chat daily, but their implementation and support is just f* horrible. A native app is welcomed, but way over due, and hopefully it won't be the last version and Microsoft respects those millions of Mac users. (Side note: version 5 is HORRIBLE).

Linked: screenshot of video already working just fine on ipad2 ..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/693961/skype_ios_ipad2_videocall_to_my_macpro_clearly_works.jpeg

NutsNGum

macrumors 68030
Jul 30, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
I understand Skype on a computer or phone, but I don't understand the benefit of a Skype client for the iPad where there already exists an integrated video chat solution in the shape of FaceTime.

Unless, that is, it offers the capability to interface with non iOS devices, such as Skype compatible Android phones or Windows PCs.

I'm not surprised they haven't bothered until now, otherwise.

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
I understand Skype on a computer or phone, but I don't understand the benefit of a Skype client for the iPad where there already exists an integrated video chat solution in the shape of FaceTime.

Unless, that is, it offers the capability to interface with non iOS devices, such as Skype compatible Android phones or Windows PCs.

Because my friend in the UK who I call from the couch with the iPad2 has a Windows Vista computer, for example? And they don't have Facetime or iChat.

Plus, when I call my friends in a group call, they are on linux, mac, windows, and Facetime does not have group calls - let alone video group calls.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
That's the plan. FaceTime will be licensable for use in other applications. Not sure what the holdup is, though.

Facetime biggest problem is that it will be tied to Apple products only. Since it is not cross platform that is it biggest failing and why I do not see it really gaining any real traction.

Westacular

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
Has there ever been a definitive answer on whether iPhone Skype draws down your battery in the background if you’re simply “available” to receive calls?

I’ve seen a handful of convincing posts around the web (and on Skype’s blog) in either direction. Some say Skype doesn’t use push notification to receive a call; instead the app must actually remain running (using battery and RAM). Others deny that (and I hope they’re right), or they (incorrectly) say iOS has no way to receive a call notification if the app isn’t running. (iOS does have a background VOIP ability, but that’s important when IN a call. Not necessary just to get invitations/notifications before VOIP is active.)

True of false? Is this a fire or only smoke? Was this a real problem but later patched? I don’t use Skype enough to know first-hand or test easily, but I’d still like to leave myself “available” full-time just in case someone ever wants to Skype me.

Closing the Skype app in the switcher bar and seeing if you can still receive a call would be the test, I suppose. I can still get Meebo chat requests without Meebo running, and then Meebo launches when the communication is accepted. I’m hoping Skype works the same! No need for it to be running when you’re NOT communicating.

I'm in the same boat as you: I don't use Skype enough to warrant having it always running in the background, but (if there was no cost to it) I wouldn't mind being available for messages all the same.

And, I'm sad to say, there's fire, not just smoke. Even without a call active, the Skype app must remaining running in the background in order to keep you signed in, and this prevents the iPhone from sleeping as often / as deeply as it otherwise would. I'm not sure what the current effect on battery is, but ~8 months ago, it was significant.

To mitigate this, somewhat, the app has a "Go Offline" setting -- you set how long it waits after you close (but not force-quit) the app before the background process goes offline, and stops sucking power. The options are Immediately, 15 min, 30 min, 60 min, and Never.

I just did your test -- clever suggestion! -- and it confirmed that this is still Skype's mode of operation in the current version. While signed in on my phone and watching on my Mac (in another Skype account), I force-quit the Skype app on my phone. Less than a minute later, I saw myself drop offline -- well before my "Go Offline" period expired.

It's a shame that Skype doesn't make full use of push notifications, in the way that most other iOS IM apps do, to allow you to stay signed in and receive messages/calls without sucking battery by running in the background.

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Facetime biggest problem is that it will be tied to Apple products only. Since it is not cross platform that is it biggest failing and why I do not see it really gaining any real traction.

100% agree and don't know why anyone would be stupid enough not to understand this fundamental problem with Facetime.

Can you imagine if the iPhone could only work with other iPhone users, and you could not ring or text anyone from your iPhone if they had a different brand of mobile?

Yes, that would be stupid and idiotic and doomed to fail, well guess what, that's what Facetime is.

All Apple has to do is change Facetime to it works across platform and problem over, they could possibly rule the market. But will they? No, probably not.

Shame :(

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
I hate how slow skype are to incorporate new features, like simple things such as multitasking and retina display it took them 6 months to release an update with these features, also something like videochatting it took them 8 months to release the update, now with the whole thing for the ipad its been 3 months since the ipad 2 was released, i guess theyre starting to improve their release dates.

think it will be better under M$?

-Ken-

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2011
Oregon, USA
So a native Skype client? Interesting. I know the upcoming TouchPad will have it as well.

Do any of the Android tablets have Skype?

Plasmastrike

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2009
Kind of a silly article title. Video chat already exists on the iPad with Skype. I use the iPhone version of the app all the time.

That being said, I'm really pumped for a native version.

silusesMac

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
i hate how companies like skype and fring always fakes the quality of the video calls in their stock photos and videos, it will never be like that, it looks like its super clear HD, thats BS the ipad 2's cameras are never going to reach the quality that skype is claiming to have in its videos.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
Is english your second language? If Apple licenses facetime then it will work with non-Apple products from companies that have paid a license for it. That is what the person you were replying to said.

What part of that do you not understand?
:rolleyes:

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009

Well that is kind of the whole point. I can 3G call my parents Windows box from my iPhone. I never really make facetime calls because I never know if people are in wifi range.

KaneBaker

macrumors member
Oct 15, 2009
i hate how companies like skype and fring always fakes the quality of the video calls in their stock photos and videos, it will never be like that, it looks like its super clear HD, thats BS the ipad 2's cameras are never going to reach the quality that skype is claiming to have in its videos.

You forgot to list Apple.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Hey Editors,

I am sorry but I feel the article title is either incomplete, or misleading.

I have Skype on the iPhone4, and iPad2, and both have video capabilities. I am not sure why it says "bringing to.." when it clearly already has.

Users are also commenting they are welcoming to finally have video on the ipad, which confuses me, as it .. already has.

The article should be about either how high the quality in the demo is - since the camera is just crap on the iPad2, or at least be about it finally being a NATIVE app ..

It's a bit misleading that it mentions iOS Skype has voice chat and voice calling, but leaves out video, as if it doesn't have it.

I've just opened my iPhone Skype version on the iPad2 and called myself on my other Skype account - a video call .. You can see the screens to demo this; showing the not-ios-native app to clearly have video capabilities already; which in my opinion means I am either confused, misread your titles, or the title shouldn't imply video is new, but that the app being native is new.

Skype is a great app, I use it daily, I video chat daily, but their implementation and support is just f* horrible. A native app is welcomed, but way over due, and hopefully it won't be the last version and Microsoft respects those millions of Mac users. (Side note: version 5 is HORRIBLE).

Linked: screenshot of video already working just fine on ipad2 ..

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/693961/skype_ios_ipad2_videocall_to_my_macpro_clearly_works.jpeg

That's the iPhone version running on an iPad.

HMFIC03

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2011
Tokyo
This is what I was waiting for .... I almost gave up hope after MS bought Skype ... I can reach all my friends/family on skype, but only half of them on FaceTime.

Me too. Can't wait my wife is in Iraq - looking forward to this, hope it's soon!

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
That's the iPhone version running on an iPad.

Read what I said, I am talking about the title - how it says it's bringing video to the iPad, iPad already has Skype WITH video .. be it via their iphone app .. The article title is a bit silly; It should be about a 'native app for ipad' - it has nothing to do with video ..

adwebinc

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2009
This is perfect for remote collaboration with my MBA team members. Not all of them are fanbois like me.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I've used Skype. Doesn't even compare to Facetime/iChat. If someone is using skype instead, well, then I don't video chat with them.

mplaisance

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2009
Exactly

I am not a big Microsoft fan but this is exactly what Microsoft needs to do. Invest in Apple's technology. Microsoft is a SOFTWARE Company, which means they should make software. Microsoft needs to put their ego behind and do what they were made to do and that is make great Software (of course if they still can)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.