Natural Keyboard

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by DeusOmnis, Apr 15, 2003.

1. DeusOmnis macrumors 6502

Does anyone know of a good mac natural keyboard? Thanks

2. cubist macrumors 68020

Excellent response, kethoticus! Even if I were to come across a keyboard on a beach, I would be very reluctant to view it as anything other than man-made.

Years ago Microsoft sold a keyboard which they called the "Natural Keyboard". It had a huge hump in the middle, making it very difficult to use. Nevertheless, it had its advocates. If you wish to use one of them, you may need to get a PS/2-to-USB adapter, such as those sold by CyberGuys.

Before that, there were some so-called "ergonomic" keyboards with a variety of gimmicks, such as hinges in the middle. Even Apple sold keyboards of that type. Apple's were all ADB; I've never used one. Again, if you find one, you can use an ADB-to-USB adapter.

I think the "ergonomic" fad has died out. The only residual is stickers you sometimes see on keyboards that say "Use of ANY keyboard will probably cripple you for life," or words to that effect. For people who take such warnings seriously, I recommend a pint of Bass Ale (or two) followed by a long afternoon nap.

3. DeusOmnis thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the non-helpful posts, does anyone have a real response?

4. Wes macrumors 68020

Wes

I think both of the posts were serious and addressed your question. I just did a search and found: http://www.directron.com/kbd-ms.html I really don't see the point of these keyboards, they just make it more uncomfortable. My friend had one, he hated it.:confused:

5. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

I think you might wanna look here

6. BubbaTAC macrumors member

For reals this time yo

I use the Microsoft "natural elite" If you buy a new one they come with the ps2to USB adaptor and work just fine under osx, only weird thing is that the alt and command buttons are switched, this makes it a little weird for touch typists, but you get used to it very quickly. I recommend it. There is also one made by a keyboard company called Data desk that I have not tried, but it looks pretty good, here is a link to get it from small dog, its like $60

http://www.smalldog.com/product/39865

Adesso also makes two, with and without touchpads

http://www.adessoinc.com/products.cfm?categoryid=7

again, all that bein said, I'm using a Microsoft, I got it for $14, check out bensbargains.net regularly and they come out in deals all the time

7. DeusOmnis thread starter macrumors 6502

8. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

these keyboards are quite handy when two conditions are met: 1. it's exactly the right keypress pressure for your hands, and 2. you're used to it. otherwise, they can actually be painful to use. i've been thinking about getting the apple version and adapting it, i just think it might look funny...beige plastic just doesn't seem 'real' to me anymore...

pnw

9. DeusOmnis thread starter macrumors 6502

I can actually type 10 wpm faster w/ my friend's natural, which is the microsoft one, but I was hoping to find a mac one. I guess i could try going to compusa and testing them.

10. MeanE macrumors newbie

I have an MS natural Pro (old style...they are blue on top now). It is by default USB (has a USB hub in it as well) and comes with an adaptor to go to ps/2 if you wish.

I was a detractor of natural keyboards for quite awhile (not having used one). I then picked up this one for quite a good deal and after using it for a few days...found it was WAYYYY superior then the "normal" keyboards.

It forces you to type properly...and it is much much more comfortable.