Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
It was my 14th birthday yesterday, and I get the day of school every year on my birthday, so guess what I wanted to do yesterday? i wanted to go out and take photos...here are the unedited results (2 pages of selects)

Go ahead and criticize these images all you can, its the only way I can learn to become a better photographer :)

http://homepage.mac.com/glenn.wolsey/nature/

randas

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2005
nice shots, I like the one with the park bench

and WHERE do you live? theres 3ft of snow outside where I am right now :mad:

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
randas said:
nice shots, I like the one with the park bench

and WHERE do you live? theres 3ft of snow outside where I am right now :mad:

I live in New Zealand. Its the middle of summer right now, although right this moment its pouring with rain outside...

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I like your shots Glenn, but next time try slowing down your shutter speed/ISO/aperture combo (if you can) to soften the water a bit.

You can also do this with Noise Ninja after, or Photshop.

Nice work.

Those trout make me want to grab my fly rod!

Glenn Wolsey

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 24, 2005
New Zealand
iGary said:
I like your shots Glenn, but next time try slowing down your shutter speed/ISO/aperture combo (if you can) to soften the water a bit.

Nice work.

I have a load of photos from yesterday in Aperture where I used a slow shutter speed, would you like me to make another gallery with a few of those?

What Photoshop filter can you also use to make them softer? I am a Photoshop novice :)

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Glenn Wolsey said:
I have a load of photos from yesterday in Aperture where I used a slow shutter speed, would you like me to make another gallery with a few of those?

What Photoshop filter can you also use to make them softer? I am a Photoshop novice :)

You need to pick yerself up some Scott Kelby.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:

Nice work.

I agree with you iGary. The "force is strong with this one", he just needs time to make him "complete".

One of the best exercises that I had in college was to find a spot and spend at least 6 hours photographing it. And wit digital it helps have ND filters to limit ISO's of 100 and 200 to lower limits.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Coolnat2004 said:
GLENN!

Can I come over?!

I don't have a waterfall in my back yard!!

This is what I call "local envy". We loose sight of what is around us because we see it everyday. Yes, some locations may offer more than some, but most of us have rivers or streams that could do as well.

Much like with the National Geographic. In some cases they have been where we have been. Excluding, despite their shrinking budgets, their "exclusive" pictorial advantages - they still come away with powerful images.

Why? Because of the photographers eye.

Glenn, you are demonstrating some great skill with your eye. It will be just a matter of time that you will master the technical details. These few shots showed that you are well on your way to master the details to make these images even better.

cgratti

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
Central Pennsylvania, USA
Glenn Wolsey said:

PM me and I can help you with the filters, I know quite a few filters for what you need.

ScubaDuc

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2003
Europe
Chip NoVaMac said:
This is what I call "local envy". We loose sight of what is around us because we see it everyday. Yes, some locations may offer more than some, but most of us have rivers or streams that could do as well.

Much like with the National Geographic. In some cases they have been where we have been. Excluding, despite their shrinking budgets, their "exclusive" pictorial advantages - they still come away with powerful images.

Why? Because of the photographers eye.

Glenn, you are demonstrating some great skill with your eye. It will be just a matter of time that you will master the technical details. These few shots showed that you are well on your way to master the details to make these images even better.

I fully agree with your comments: having an "eye" for the image is what matters, technique comes with experience. Great job!

Edit: I will be coming to NZ this coming November: Which lenses would you recommend I take along? Would I need a 500 mm or a 200 (micro) would be enough? I have my diving equipment and 15 kgs tops on air Tahiti.....Help!

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Glenn Wolsey said:
It was my 14th birthday yesterday, and I get the day of school every year on my birthday, so guess what I wanted to do yesterday? i wanted to go out and take photos...here are the unedited results (2 pages of selects)

Go ahead and criticize these images all you can, its the only way I can learn to become a better photographer :)

http://homepage.mac.com/glenn.wolsey/nature/

It would be easy to just say "nice pics" but you want ideas that will help you so...

many of the compositions have bilateral symetry. This looks kind of "static", balanced or "no tension". The park bench image is not this way. It has a forground object and the left and right sides don'r look alike. Do more of this.

Squint hard and make the view through the viewfinder look blurry then make the blobs of color be arainged by the "rule of thirds"

Put the points of interest on one of the intersections of a 3x3 grid and align other points of interrst along a 60 or 30 degree sloping line

whocares

macrumors 65816
Oct 9, 2002
:noitаɔo˩
ChrisA said:
Put the points of interest on one of the intersections of a 3x3 grid and align other points of interrst along a 60 or 30 degree sloping line

One thing I really like (and use!) about my DSLR is the overlaid grid in the viewfinder. Two advantages:
* better composition;
* finito the sloping horizons. :eek:

andy8408

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2005
Shrewsbury, UK
nature photos

The best time to shoot landscape/outdoors is either early morning or late evening, when the sun (if there is any) is less intense, a good picture should lead the eye through the page to a point of interest, the park bench picture leads the eye out to the right and away into the distance.

Keep on clicking...and you will only get better.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
marchcapital said:
what camera do you use?

Actually, it's not always so important which camera or which lens a photographer uses, but how he/she uses the particular equipment at hand.....

Someone can have a whiz-bang top-of-the-line mega-expensive DSLR with mega-mega-pixels and every possible menu function or button function known to man and a zillion lenses and STILL come out with crappy images while someone else can approach the same subject with a simple digital point-and-shoot or a simple all-manual film camera and come away with stunning results.

In photography, the equipment is only one piece of the total equation. It's the photographer's eye, creative imagination and ability to work with what he or she has that is important in the outcome of the final image.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.