nav sucks, but i still need help

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ted94709, Oct 11, 2004.

1. ted94709 macrumors newbie

May 18, 2004
    i know how everyone here hates norton, but i've been using norton antivirus since ive decided its pretty much a must considering how many documents i pass around at school via email. i'm still hoping someone would be able to shed some light on my problem.

every once in a while, for no reason my fan kicks up to high gear. i check activity monitor and it shows nav is hogging up to 80% of the cpu but its not doing anything...its not scanning or anything. it will stay this way seemingly forever. i was wondering if anyone knows a reason for this and a possible solution other than force quitting it.

thanks in advance.
  2. cb911 macrumors 601

Mar 12, 2002
    BrisVegas, Australia
    is nav the actual process name? i don't know about this specific problem, never heard of that process before...

but a similar thing used to happen to me as well a process would just hog the CPU. you could always try quitting that process, but that sounds like you have tried that. and nothing bad happend to OS X? it didn't crash or anything?

you could try searching to see exaxtly what the process nav is.
  3. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

Jun 19, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Well first and foremost what version of NAV are you running? 9?

Secondly more info is needed. When you say every once in a while...are we talking minutes? hours? Days?

There are two types of scanning done by NAV (At least on Windows. Not sure about Mac.) Active, and real-time protection.
    Real-time protection is always going to eat a chunk of CPU but shouldn't take up 80% Na-ah. Nope. If its eating 80% I would suggest there is something wrong with the install and that you might consider uninstalling/reinstalling the app. Also since Mac's aren't particularly vulnerable to document viruses so real-time scanning isn't all that critical. You might want to consider turning that function off if possible. Don't know how or if you can do this. Its an extra pain since you'd have to manually scan those files then but its better then NAV eating 80% of your cycles.

The other type is an active scan initiated by a user or the scheduler. I would suggest going into NAV and checking to see if there are any sched scans and how frequent they are set to run. Also I hate to say this but NAV on the Mac sucks crap. NAV (consumer version) on the PC only sucks butt. ;) Its a pity they don't have NAV corp edition for the Mac. It's a drastically better product. It sits in your taskbar and is very quite just like an antivirus program should be.
  4. ted94709 thread starter macrumors newbie

May 18, 2004
    sorry about the lack of info in my first post. the actual process name is "nortonautoprotec" and i have quit it on several occasions with no problems but it always comes back a few minutes later, but it no longer hogs the cpu.

i'm running version 9.0.2. ill most likely follow the last user's advice in disabling real time protection since that is probably the might be trying to scan in the background. as to how often it happens, probably once every 2 days or so...

thanks for the advice!