Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

GPS navigation firm Navigon, which offers a wide range of turn-by-turn navigation applications for the iPhone, has posted a new video showing how its applications can take advantage of the multitasking capabilities of Apple's forthcoming iOS 4.

In the video, Navigon's Bernd Hahn demonstrates how a user can quickly switch to Safari to look up information and easily return to their navigation application. As an additional example, Hahn demonstrates how to accept an incoming call while in the Navigon application, allowing voice guidance to continue in the background during the call. Upon call termination, the Navigon application automatically comes back to the foreground and full navigation resumes.

Multitasking will be support on the iPhone 3GS and third-generation iPod touch with the launch of iOS 4 next Monday, June 21st. Apple's iPhone 4, launch on June 24th, will obviously also offer iOS 4 with multitasking support.

Article Link: Navigon Demonstrates GPS Navigation Multitasking in iOS 4

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
Video shows receiving a call and the navigation voice keeps talking (annoying) and he says "isn't that cool?". Well no, it's not - it's annoying. How can you hear your phone conversation when you have Mrs. Robot speaking "turn left ahead".

aardwolf

macrumors 6502
May 30, 2007
Video shows receiving a call and the navigation voice keeps talking (annoying) and he says "isn't that cool?". Well know, it's not - it's annoying. How can you hear your phone conversation when you have Mrs. Robot speaking "turn left ahead".

I take it you would rather miss your turn than be inconvenienced? Well, you might be able to turn that feature off. As for me, I'd rather get where I'm going.

Andrew K.

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2008
Video shows receiving a call and the navigation voice keeps talking (annoying) and he says "isn't that cool?". Well know, it's not - it's annoying. How can you hear your phone conversation when you have Mrs. Robot speaking "turn left ahead".

Came here to make that exact same post. LOL Even Sanja doesn't seem too thrilled about her being interrupted.

WiiDSmoker

macrumors 68000
Sep 15, 2009
Dallas, TX

Don't be dumb. How else would it alert you when you're on the phone? You would be the exact same person who would complain if it didn't alert you and you miss your turn. It's the disadvantage of using a all in one device.

I swear some people just don't think.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I'm getting sick of all these tech-companies thinking that "verite style" has to mean "bad audio."

Please buy a microphone, guys. It won't mess up your credibility as a non-conformist creative genius company, ok?

I wouldn't mention it if this was the first, but this seems to a new trend with all these software companies now. Ugh.

chaosbringer

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Lisboa, Portugal
Now THAT is just confusing, directions and calls at the same time, voices overlaping and the person on the phone also earing the directions.
Hope the other person on the call isn't using the same feature, or it would one call and 2 directions voices :D

also, the ring tone overlaping with the gps voice... :rolleyes:

Hope TomTom does a better job cause this sounds mediocre :mad:

Advance The Man

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2005
Don't be dumb. How else would it alert you when you're on the phone? You would be the exact same person who would complain if it didn't alert you and you miss your turn. It's the disadvantage of using a all in one device.

I swear some people just don't think.

What's that I didn't hear you, the navigation voice was talking. LOL, you don't get it!!

usasalazar

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2006

fleshman03

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2008
Sioux City, IA
I'd much rather hear my directions and not miss a turn than need to turn around because I was taking a call.

Besides, should you really be having long phone conversations while driving?

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
Cool feature. I will be able to have Navigon installed again when I get the new iPhone. My 3G ran out of space and Navigon is slow on the 3G, so I uninstalled it.

TheKrs1

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2010
Now THAT is just confusing, directions and calls at the same time, voices overlaping and the person on the phone also earing the directions.
Hope the other person on the call isn't using the same feature, or it would one call and 2 directions voices :D

also, the ring tone overlaping with the gps voice... :rolleyes:

Hope TomTom does a better job cause this sounds mediocre :mad:

Ok... so I have a BlueTooth handsfree in my car, and I have a TomTom GPS (second device). When I get a phonecall, while I am navigating to a destination.... the TomTom doesn't know this, and continues to announce my path. It can get distracting.

My solution? PULL OVER! You want to be on the phone, trying to find a location and receiving directions all at the same time? How about you just pull the vehicle over... take your important call and move on. You probably don't even have to stop the navigation app then... as since your not moving it won't have to update your directions. ... :D

Also while your pulled over and stopped I suspect your chances of running over a small child is reduced by atleast 50%... Don't check my math

autrefois

macrumors 65816
Not sure what I think about the turn-by-turn voice prompts continuing while you're on a call. Although it could definitely be useful it might be annoying or confusing. Definitely meant for a shorter call, or for a trip with few turns!

But I definitely like the idea of being able to go into another app, such as Safari, and still getting directions and keeping its place for when you go back to it. Hopefully other map apps will follow suit.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
My solution? PULL OVER!

Yep. Or here's another idea for everyone!

If you don't want to talk on the phone while getting directions then don't answer the phone!

I'm constantly amazed by people's ability to blame software for their own bad choices. So the software gives you the ability to do 2 things at once but you don't want to do 2 things at once? Well then don't! Pick one.

darkplanets

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2009
Its exactly like using a GPS and your regular cellphone...

I don't see why people are freaking out. Its not like this is new or different; this is the way it is and will always be, until we have HUDS in our cars or wear VR helmets/glasses.

Besides, if you're looking for directions, chances are you shouldn't be making a long call. What they should do is make it softer while its backgrounding, so its less obtrusive, but still noticeable.

Dead Brad Pitt

macrumors newbie
Mar 14, 2010
Oh! Now I can serve navigon directions to my friends by phone without using the second iPhone I bought specifically for this purpose! 3gs for sale: anyone?

Back to the grave :apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.