NB Imovie HD Help

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by nicolle19, Jan 23, 2007.

1. nicolle19 macrumors member

I have had my new iMac for about to months now and love it. I have had this year old panasonic pv-gs29 dv camcorder. I am trying to get the video off the tape through the camcorder on to imovie. Imovie cant find the camera. It seems that with Imovie you must use fire wire which this camera only has usb and dv(which I cant find the cable). In the help menu it says you can use usb for video transfer but the imac will see the camera pull up as a external HD, but nothing comes up. Any help with this would be great. Also where can you get a cheap DV cable bc the manaul says you can transfer with this, panasonic.com wanted 45 bucks

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Some cameras call their firewire ports "dv" or "i.Link" so they don't have to pay royalties to Apple. You can get a firewire cable (4 pin on one end, 6 pin on the other) at pretty much any computer/electronics store.

Lethal

3. Suprami X macrumors newbie

Suprami X

USB doesn't work for video transfer on Macs, well not in iMovie or FCP anyway, I've never really bothered looking much beyond that.

That last batch of Firewire(DV) cables we bought at work cost us £3 each, so don't buy an expensive one just because it says Panasonic on the box, a generic one should cost sub $10, When I was last in the U.S. I grabbed one from Walmart I think.

4. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

My Sony Tvr-22 has a memory stick slot on it for taking low resolution video and still photo snapshots that you download via the USB.

As for Firewire or DV or iLink...you need the cable like Lethal said.

If you were close I'd loan you my extra one...

5. nicolle19 thread starter macrumors member