NBA 2005/2006 Season

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by quigleybc, Feb 6, 2006.

1. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Let's get it going on!

Who do we like?

Who's gonna dethrone the champs?

Do mac rumors members watch the NBA....

I'm a Suns fan...and a Steve fan...

How about Kobe's 81 points??? sick...

Thoughts?

2. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Guess not.....

Oh well...thread's here if you want it..

3. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

I am a huge Mavericks fan, but they always dissappoint me come playoff time...:(

4. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

I loved the Mavs till Steve left...

But, they're still cool.

5. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Go Pistons!

I don't think they'll get 70 wins, but they should come close enough to secure home-court through the playoffs. That would make their path through playoffs a little easier and could end up being the difference against a team like the Spurs or Mavs.

6. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm a casual sixers fan. I don't really understand the ins-and-outs of how to play the game, but I do know the general rules of the game. I watch about 25 Sixers' games a year (on TV) and I watch almost every playoff game (assuming they get there). I'd enjoy a championship, but not the same way I'd love a World Series or Super Bowl. I really enjoy watching Iverson. Some may call him a ball hog, but I think he is so graceful yet scrappy.

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

If the rest of the season is anything like the Wizards vs. Magic game last night I won't be watching much more basketball. Such an unexciting game--even (or perhaps especially) live and in person.

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm a big AI fan, and have been a sixers fan on and off since the barkley days. when barkley went out to phx, i started to get into them, and have remained a bit of a fan of them until recently, when they got steve, and now i'm back to a full fledged fan. hah. AI and nash are by far my favorite players.

i'm not a fan of kobe at all, never have been. shaq on the other hand, is hilarious.

so yeah, now that football is over, and my capitals suck, i hope to see the sixers make the playoffs and get some tv coverage!

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'm a Wizards fan, and an NBA fan in general, although I don't watch many games. Right now my attention is focused on the 18-1 GWU Colonials; 16 years of fan-dom is paying off.

But the NBA is fairly interesting this year. The Pistons look very very good. The Suns are very interesting, and it will be key how well Stoudemire can get up to speed. Miami looks disappointing so far.

As for Kobe's 81. Amazing, but he'll be judged by the playoffs. Without playoff success, people will still, justly, say he's not a winner like Shaq.

10. katchow macrumors 6502

i'm rootin for the Cavs (home team and all). I like LeBron's attitude.

i'd put my money on the spurs though. Anyone noticed their bench this year? what the hey?

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I don't knwo how many of you go to games on a regular basis, but I was at a game last night, and noticed something that I didn't last time I went to an NBA game - music. I swear there was either music or some sort of sound effect going all game long. I wish I'd brought my ipod to listen to. At least that wasy the music would have been a little better.

Oh, and I do believe that we will see a Spurs-Bullets final, with the Spurs repeating (the Bullets are a year away from winning it all).

12. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

NBA is different for me

The NBA for me is overall a different feeling than other sports...because I have a general liking of a lot of teams, unlike the NFL where I only care about one single team and no other..

A lot of people hate Kobe...and I can see why...but overall, I have always said that he is the best player out there...it's just like he was born to play...I know a lot of you will scoff and flame about that...but he is a basketball machine IMO.

Pistons look unstoppable. Spurs are amazing as usual. My Suns will need to get Amare back to be a force to reckon with come playoff time...

How has AI been doing? I hardly ever hear anything about him...

Should be a good year, I want to see the Cavs and LeBron in the Playoffs.

13. Patmian212 macrumors 68020

Patmian212

Im a knicks fan but havent really followed them since sprewell left. I now hear they suck nuts.

14. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

OMG....The Knicks are horrible...

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

You know, there's a new arena downtown and everything.

16. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

The only thing that makes the NBA watchable is fantasy basketball. Otherwise, too rigged, too star friendly, too strategyless, too repetitive.

I'd rather watch college basketball any day.

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Pistons can throw down...once again on the top.

Hold up did someone called the Washington wizards... bullets? LOL good one. I think you have been missing in action.

Bless

18. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

why do so many people think the NBA is rigged? What are some examples that make people feel that way?

19. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Off the top of my head, Patrick Ewing going to NY and Lebron going to Cleveland by virtue of those teams winning the non-televised draft lottery.

20. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Every favored call for stars.

The Lakers/Kings series a few years ago.

The fact that Shaq hasn't fouled out by the middle of the third quarter every night ...

If I remember correctly, even Ralph Nader wanted the NBA investigated.

Wait'll the playoffs. I'll point out as many examples as I can!

21. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Good, I will be interested in your examples...

I'm not saying it is, or it isn't...but like one poster wrote somewhere else on here...if it WAS rigged, would the finals last year have been the Spurs and Pistons...?

two very dull teams to watch...

22. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

All Star Weekend

I always love the NBA all star weekend.

It showcases all the talent and really puts an emphasis on the positive side of pro athletes.

It is a show, and we got one this weekend. Little Nate Robinson jumping sky high over Spud Webb was great to see, although baby AI should have won the contest with his unique off the back of the back board dunk.

It was nice to see Dirk win the three point contest (crazy for a 7 footer) and LeBron getting all-star MVP was great for the league.

All in all I think the NBA all star weekend is the best of the all star games thoughout pro sports.

Just for the player intro's alone...so entertaining.

23. tutubibi macrumors 6502a

tutubibi

Didn't want to start new thread for this but had to comment on the latest Knicks trade for Steve Francis.

Is it just me or it seems that Knicks are now THE DUMP for all huge and long contracts nobody else wants?
    There has to be some explanation? Maybe gentlements agreement with Isiah to pay it back somehow and let them win?

24. quigleybc thread starter macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Nice update...Stevie Franchise was drownin down in Florida...not that the Knicks will be much better, but they have a much better chance now with Francis

I'm looking forward to seeing them develop now that they have a high flyer..

All the pieces are in place for them to make a dent in there conferance, we'll see.

Isiah sure isn't scared of spending money is he?? Took a page out of the Yankees book..

25. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

A chance for what? They have a chance to win a few more games with him than without him, but that is about it. They are still light-years away from being an actual contender.