NBA Playoffs are here! Predictions?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maxterpiece, Apr 26, 2006.

1. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Please post your thoughts or predictions on the NBA playoffs!

My predictions:
    Round 1:
    Eastern Conference -
    Detroit will beat Milwaukee 4-0
    Miami will beat the bulls 4-2
    New Jersey will beat indiana 4-1
    Cleveland will beat washington 4-3

Western Conference -
    San Antonio will beat Sacramento 4-2
    Phoenix will beat the Lakers 4-3
    Clippers will beat Nuggets 4-1
    Dallas will beat Memphis 4-0

Round 2:
    Eastern Conference -
    New Jersey will beat Miami 4-3
    Detroit will beat Cleveland 4-0

Western Conference -
    San Antonio will beat Dallas 4-2
    Clippers will beat Phoenix 4-3

Round 3:
    Detroit will beat NJ 4-1
    San Antonio will beat the Clippers 4-1

Finals:
    Detroit over San Antonio 4-3

2. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

hmmm only 8 views. I think I posted this thread in time for the non US folks. Anyway, I don't get how all of the sudden Kobe realizes how to play to win. All season long he hoists up 30-35 shots a game and alienates all his teammates, then in two playoff games against a team that he has absolutely dominated on an individual level, he cuts his shooting down to 21, then 24 shots.

All of the sudden he's got his teammates feeling important and talking about how kobe really is playing within the gameplan - really talking like they are equal parts of the team, and not just taking up space. I don't know. It's astonishing to me, and it's really a credit to Phil Jackson. I still don't think LA can beat Phoenix, because Kwame, Smush and Luke Walton are all really inexperienced and they are going to fold. Also Odom is not as good as he's been playing.

3. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Ok, let's try this:

Eastern Conference:
    Detroit over Milwaukee 4-0
    Miami over Chicago 4-1
    Jersey over Indiana 4-3
    Cleveland over Washington 4-2

Western Conference:
    San Antonio over Sacramento 4-1
    Phoenix over Lakers 4-3
    Dallas over Memphis 4-2
    Clippers over Denver 4-1

Round 2:
    Eastern:
    Detroit over Cleveland 4-3
    Miami over Jersey 4-1

Western:
    Dallas over San Antonio 4-3
    Clippers over Phoenix 4-2

Round 3:
    Eastern:
    Miami over Detroit 4-3

Western:
    Clippers over Dallas 4-3

Finals:
    Clippers over Miami 4-2

CLIPPERS WIN!!!!!

yeah, i know i'm a homer....

daniel

4. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

shouldn't you have done this like a week ago ... its much easier to preduct like two to three games in

5. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

yeah iknow. I forgot. It's still a challenge - most of the series' that people were unsure of are tied 1-1.

I liek the clippers too dandaman, they are definitely the dark horse of hte playoffs. THey have a lot of experience in Mobley and Cassell, they have size... etc etc. I still don't see htem going too far.

I'm most surprised that you think memphis is gonna pull out 2 wins against dallas. They have looked really really bad. Atkins and Bobby Jackson are non factors, gasol looks scared in 3 out of every 4 quarters in each game. Really the only player who's done anything is eddie jones. 34 year old eddie jones.

6. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I see the pistons Vs. Spurs again.

Wait..clippers over the suns?.....you tripping!

Bless

7. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

8. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

go suns!

what's the deal with the home team format this year... i haven't followed it too closely, but looking back over some of the series, it seems like there are different formats for a few of them. phoenix played its first two games in phx, whereas denver played once in LA, then twice in denver? or am i missing something? confusing...

ok so i guess denver played twice in LA to start, but they are the higher seed... so what is the format? i thought it was usually either 2-3-2 or 2-2-1-1-1... either way, it should start at the higher seed's home, no?

9. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

LOL

10. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

denver is the higher seed only becuase they had the best record in their division. The leaders in each division automatically get the first 3 seeds, then the next 5 teams with hte best records get the rest of the places in each conference. So, this year the clippers had a better record but a lower seed, and since homecourt is determined by record and not seed, the clippers get homecourt advantage.

11. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

YEAH!!!!!! :D :D :D

Die-hard Clipper fan here. I was at the last playoff game before this year -- a loss to the Utah Jazz in '97 where the Sports Arena was half empty, with more Jazz fans than Clipper fans. How far we've come (finally!) since then.

My friends and I were at all 3 home games in this first round. Awesome, awesome experience. Staples Center was absolutely rockin'. :cool: We even considered going on a road trip to the Denver games but a few friends wussed out and didn't want to. :mad: :rolleyes:

I'm kind of torn on who we want to face next. A Clippers-Lakers series would be absolutely nuts, especially when we beat them. :D Problem is, it's already causing second round tickets to be extremely scarce. eBay and ticket brokers are charging way more than round one, assuming a Laker opponent. It'll be tough if we can't go to all the games because of stupid Laker fans, especially when the Clips need as much support as they can get in this Laker town!

The Suns are still the tougher matchup, even though the Lakers did go up 3-1 on them. They can capitalize on the Clippers' biggest two weaknesses, turnovers and perimeter defense. The only thing I like about that matchup is how funny it'll be to see Laker fans unloading their Clipper tickets at rock bottom prices... :p

If the Lakers win tomorrow, I'm pretty confident we can take them in the hallway series, even with the hostile pro-Laker crowd. It'd take elimination of turnover problems to beat the Spurs or Mavs in the WC finals, but you never know!

12. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Suns fan, but not pinning to much hopes on their post season. I'm a little surprised at their deficit in the Lakers series, 3-2, but feel they can make a comeback.

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

14. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh, thanks for explaining. i realized that denver had the higher seed because of the divisional title, but didn't realize that the seed didn't inherently correlate to home court. thanks!

just enough to make that fact known in a thread dedicated to basketball? ;)

15. Dandaman macrumors 6502

Ticketmaster has the playoff tickets on sale today at 10:00 am PST. I'm gonna try to score some face value tickets for the game.

I want to see the Lakers in the playoffs just to show them who the real team is in LA :D . But I think we'd match up pretty well against both teams. We have both solid guard play from Cat and Cassell. We got much better big men than either team, especially if Kwame has this whole harrassment thing bogging him down. We'll see.

daniel

16. bankshot macrumors 65816

bankshot

Ooh, thanks for reminding me. We got presale tickets to home games 2 and 3 via Ticketmaster, but game 1 was already sold out. It'll be interesting to see what kind of tickets they release for the public sale, if any. Just 15 minutes away...

It'll be great when the Clippers can finally declare that LA is our town! :D

17. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Lets go suns......can't see them get take out by the lakers.

Pistons rule the NBA.

Bless

18. 4God macrumors 68020

4God

I dunno, Lakers play at home tonight and the Suns are without Bell because of that hard foul in the last game.

19. Dandaman macrumors 6502

I tried getting tix for game 3 but none were available. Oh well, I guess I have an extra 50+ dollars in my pocket and can watch from the comfort of my own home.

daniel

20. itcheroni macrumors 6502a

So many LAC fans here! I'm rooting for them but, realistically, it's going to be Spurs again, or Dallas if they could somehow beat the Spurs.

21. Bobby Garcia macrumors newbie

Bobby Garcia

Brilliant Predictions

The predictions were damn close for the 1st round. Good job on being so on point.

I am a long-time Suns fan, since the days of K. J., "Sir Charles", Thunder Dan, etc. I am just glad to see that they are shaping themselves back into a championship contending team. Not saying that they will get there this year, but as basketball aficionados and critics, we can all agree that Nash has the poise to take his team far. I just hope they can maintain their composure in game 7. Marion needs to be more aggresive in the 1st half. Bell needs to calm down, otherwise he's doing well. Stoudamire needs to walk it off, haha. All I can say is, Go Suns.

My prediction is no different than most. Street & Smith called this in October, Pistons over Spurs in 7 games.

22. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

Thanks Bobby. First round is the easiest to call though.

How about the suns though... Damn. I didn't think they'd blow out the lakers in the final game. And kobe only taking 16 shots?? I dont think anyone would have ever imagined that he would go out like that.

I wouldn't be surprised if a big name gets hurt in the dallas vs san antonio series. I also wouldn't be surprised by some suspensions. Dallas has been aching to prove to the world that they are of the same caliber team as san antonio, so they aren't gonna go down without a fight.

Clippers phoenix series will also be fun. I see VC absolutely abusing the miami defense, and with wade already hurting, I don't think miami can pull it out. They don't have any other consistent players. Last year they had eddie jones and damon jones sitting out on the 3 point line. Eddie jones also could cover the best offensive player on the other team, letting wade focus more on offense. Jason Williams is a despicable defensive player, payton used to be great, but has really lost a step. The heat are just a hodge podge team with no real identity. I liked them much more last year.

23. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Lets go suns!!

I would love to see a Suns VS Pistons but i dont see that happening....spurs Vs pistons again.

Bless

24. calyxman macrumors 6502a

calyxman

Those Suns make me proud. Steve Nash deserves his MVP award. Barbosa stepped up his game when it really counted. This is the most underestimated team in the playoffs. Nobody thought they'd have a chance against LA after being down 3-1. Absolutely amazing!

Go Suns!

25. maxterpiece thread starter macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

well they shouldn't have fallen behind 3-1 in the first place, but anyway, they look much better now. More confident.

What I'd like to talk about is NJ baby! See my predictions? Nets in 7 over the heat. You got one team with players who play well together, and one team with 2 players who play well together, then a bunch of talent that doesn't really fit in.