NBC 2.0... The death of prime time programming?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by DISCOMUNICATION, Oct 19, 2006.

1. DISCOMUNICATION macrumors 6502a

DISCOMUNICATION

And so it begins. They say they are trying to focus and consolidate cost and resources for new media outlets (web, iPods, etc.). It seems more like they're the first of the big 3 networks to admit defeat. They've given up on trying to fill the entire schedule and are just going to run cheap crappy game shows in the first hour of what was prime real estate. Is this the future? At least we'll have less crappy shows that get canceled after 3 episodes. I'll take quality over quantity any day.

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Looks like ABC knew what they were doing with their "create as many shows as possible, dump the failures, and hope we have some winners" strategy.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Doesn't surprise me. But I think they could make more money if they encouraged people to make better shows than they do now.

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Maybe, developing good stories with realistic characters would be a good start. The 1960s had unrealistic t.v. shows but at least, they were entertaining. Now, if it's not shocking, no one even notices. There are few good stories and many paper thin characters. More money is lavished on clothes and sets and equipment than on stories and acting.

5. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Not that big of a deal.

Most of the restructuring is the news division, which needs it. NBC, MSNBC, CNBC, etc. will be merged into one news division. Sounds reasonable to me.

The trouble with narrative t.v. shows, doesn't lie with lack of writing, producers, etc. It's the damn actors that demand multi-million dollar per episode contracts.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I can't see traditional programming going away in the near future. After all, where do TBS, TV Land, TNT and all those guys get their off-network reruns?

I'm not sure if this is as big a deal as the article is making it out to be. So what has NBC done? Taken the hours of game and reality shows they already had and put them into one time slot. Frankly it looks short-sighted to me. At the present time their Thursday night has Deal or No Deal in the 9:00 slot. I ask you: if they reverse the situation and put DOND in front of My Name Is Earl and The Office, will their ratings be the same or better? Doubt it. So what's the point of limiting your 8:00 hour to only one kind of TV show?

The only one I can see is that after 9:00, you can be less "family-friendly"...and that's what racy sitcoms and gruesome crime shows are. Game shows are harmless, and reality TV shows are full of bleeps, but they can fill the 9:00 with people whose brains have been scooped out of their skulls (Heroes) and it's considered fair game. So, if NBC is afraid of the FCC for violating the "family hour", this may be a response.

I'm really hoping the whole reality fad will just finally tank. Those shows have no staying power. Aside from being abysmally stupid to begin with, they have weak rerun/DVD potential. Game shows are another thing. DOND is quite addictive, and NBC is on the record as saying they will not run that show into the ground the way ABC did with its constant stripping (Mon.-Fri.) of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? But even then, they are risking overdoing it with their new show, 1 vs. 100.

Anyway, don't panic about it. Frankly I'm still more pissed about how they've done away with opening themes on shows, how they mutilate the closing credits, and how they advertise in the lower third during some shows, than I am with NBC's schedule changes.

7. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

the WGA contracts are up for renewal next year. You can bet they're going to want a piece of the online revenue. My feeling is that it'll get ugly...

8. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Id never thought Id say this but I think that Fox is starting to produce more shows then some of the other networks. I think a lot of other networks are copying the 24 model of not so by the book television. The best thing Fox ever did was decide to start there big shows in January and run them repeat free until summer. What was once known for bad mid season replacements has turned into some of TV's finest programs. If only ABC would of done this with Lost and not had the huge gaps throughout the season.

The fact is TV is run by advertisers and they don't care about quality but a way to get the quick advertising dollar. So until the ratings fall on DOND then it will continue to be on 3 nights a week.

9. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Network TV is dead! Why the debate about NBC, ABC, CBS , etc. etc. Who needs these dinos of the '50's & their offspring? Fox, CNN. TVIO, DVR, PayTV.

Think about it! Forget Itunes, blah, blah

Sat. Dish, Cable TV, Phone TV, what ever. Only 3 things count when you watch TV - (not in order) Live News & Sports, your fav. TV Shows & not missing anything that you may have wanted to see.

Instead of 10pm on Wednesday, pick your day and/or hour. No need to dvr. Instead of paying for channels just buy your number of hours per month from your TV provider & watch whatever, whenever. TV Show makers wouldn't need Network TV & Advertising. Why bother, sell direct !! 100 Mil. watching their TV show at 5 cents per view =

10. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I for one think TV right now is the best it has ever been.

Show's like

Lost
    CSI's
    House
    Jericho
    Heroes
    Grey's Anatomy

Are so good IMO, that I've stopped renting movies all together.

11. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Glad to see you leftout the 'Steelers' quigleybc. I'll be sure to make note of that on the NFL topics here. :D

12. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't see that happening anytime soon, considering that most households don't have digital cable yet and don't like paying high bills as it is I think that video a la cart is a long way off if it ever happens.

13. Cube54 macrumors regular

Cube54

Is it? Analog TV & Radio dies in The USA in 2009-2010. The FCC is even getting ready to sell off the free 'waves'. WiFi Zzzzzzzzzzz

14. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

Yeah, but the writer's get paid crap as it is. My beef is with the actors guilds.

15. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Sort of. The latest ever-moving all-digital broadcast deadline is February 2009, but that comes with a program to get converter boxes to people who still have analog receivers. It's a transition for broadcast TV, not its end.

16. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada

HA HA

ya, you're right !

Check that

STEELERS in the house !

pretty much all sports on TV. But that's not too relevant to this thread...or is it?

:D

17. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Actually, I think the more telling part of "NBC 2.0" is that they said many of the job cuts will be in on-the-air reporters. Obviously they're not about the news anymore, which is sad (though I dunno, it's not like they were great with the news anyways, maybe it's for the best).

I think one of the biggest mistakes of this decade in broadcasting may well be the Firefly fiasco, and not just because a good show was cancelled. Firefly may well become the first show to move from network tv to entirely online, which would truly spell the beginning of the end for broadcasting. Yes, Tivo and all that has taken away the need to fill every time slot with good stuff, but online "TV" shows will take away the need for a tv at all.

jW

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

This is the network that cancelled "Boomtown" -- the show that was "Lost" before "Lost" was on the air. The show that did more to turn the storytelling method in its side than "24."

And NBC killed it.

These guys just don't get it.