NBC Direct to Offer TV Shows

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 19, 2007.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

NBC announced today that they will be launching a new service called "NBC Direct" which will allow users to download and view NBC's popular primetime shows to their desktops for free and watch them for up to one week after broadcast.

The first version of this software will launch in October for Windows PCs only, but "future versions" are said to add Mac compatibility.

At launch the shows will include "Heroes," "The Office," "Life," "Bionic Woman," "30 Rock," "Friday Night Lights," "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" and "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno."

In 2008, NBC plans to offer expanded sales options which could include download-to-own, rental and subscription models.

NBC recently withdrew from future iTunes distribution of their television shows due to a contract dispute with Apple.

Article Link

2. macrumors 6502a

WTF? Why aren't macs supported?!!!!

3. macrumors 68040

killmoms

Let's all take bets, see how long it takes NBC to realize they were making more money selling through iTunes (the most popular music and video download store ever) than from advertisers on this service that no one will use.

4. macrumors 68000

Prob. because they are using POS Windows Media.

Expect a solution once Microsoft Silverlight ships well enough to handle the video.

This is what netflix has said I think the case will be the same here.

Stupid NBC.

5. macrumors 68000

This is the dumbest idea ever and a step backwards for Internet distribution.

6. macrumors regular

SoldOutMatinee

30 Rock love.

7. macrumors 6502

johnmcboston

I don't get the "one week after broadcast". Why not expire them one week after download? This effectively means you can never 'catch up' on a season, only watch something within 6 days of missing it. Pretty much useless.

8. macrumors member

Foolish

So...

They would rather make nothing on their shows? Oh wait, advertising revenue. You can guarantee that this new "free" service will have commercials and no way to skip them. Thanks. Just what I wanted... the need to fire up my piece of crap PC and then watch commercials.

NBC is DUM!

Neuroguy

9. macrumors 68000

I was buying each ep. for my iphone until NBC announce their withdrawal.

Now I am just going to TiVo it.

10. macrumors regular

Hmmm ...let me get this straight, they're going to offer them for free this year, then change the model in 08 and start charging?

Brilliant marketing plan! (sarcasm intended)

11. xnu
    macrumors regular

xnu

Amazon must be happy.

12. macrumors regular

SoldOutMatinee

damn, y'all complain way too much.

13. macrumors regular

kbrain2929

I have a feeling that someone is mad @ Apple! :eek: Who can be mad @ Apple!!! I'm at a loss! :apple:

14. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Its a stop gap until they get some other plan for episode sales.

NBC is simply timeshifting for us? Whoopdy Frickin Do! This is what my Tivo does for me.

I guess if I watched NBC, its good to know these are free, albeit ad-supported...:(

15. macrumors P6

Peace

LOL.. Quote of the day!!.

Me thinks NBC already saw the lack of revenue flow from Amazon and decided to go to plan B.

16. macrumors 65816

Why are you all complaining? NBC wants to offer it for free now. There's no indication that next year they'll stop offering it for free, but they will probably add a download-to-own feature.

For all we know this could've been what NBC and Apple couldn't agree on.

17. macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Correction, they've moved on to Plan C. Let's hope after Plan C fails as miserably as Plan B they will move on back to Plan A.

18. macrumors 6502

Interesting how NBC is willing to let you time shift shows via your computer up to a week for free. But if you want to be able to watch it any time after that point they want you to pay them $4.99 an episode (ergo the Apple dispute). NBC, you cease to amaze me! It's just like how can you seriously be surprised that people just go and download the content by legally dubious sources, rather than going through all that.

Iggy :)

19. macrumors 603

jeremy.king

1. The six day rule.
    2. No way to purchase episodes until further notice.
    3. No mac support (or iPods?)

Edit: Nightstorm covered it too.

20. macrumors P6

Peace

I really don't care what kind of plan they have.Personally,if I want to watch a TV show I've already seen I just hit record ;)

21. macrumors 68000

Because whatever system they finally go with will likely be a) incompatible with macs, b) incompatible with AppleTV, and c) incompatible with iPods/iPhones. It's sad that NBC was one of the first to buy into TV shows in the iTMS and now we're at this point...

22. macrumors G4

flopticalcube

demonoid too. ;)

23. macrumors regular

mmzplanet

Handbrake and NBC...... Have you met?

I'll just keep making my own from DVDs. Not only do I have a nice DVD to watch it from.... I get a copy for iTunes to use on my AppleTV or iPod too.

The best part... still no advertising to deal with!!!

:apple: does not need you.

For that matter I still have my DVR too.

24. macrumors member

Sorry to sound like an Apple fanboy, but NBC *DOES NOT GET IT* and Apple does.

NBC wants me to use their crappy video player and watch their videos seeded with many of those long boring web commercials. I do not watch TV on the network's web site, I watch TV on my *TV*.

Since people can't buy then via iTunes, people will download them. And NBC will get zilch. No $1.99 per episode, no ad revenue, no nothing. NBC better wake up and realize that their web site holds no appeal to TV viewers.

25. macrumors member

You know, who really needs the crap on "mainstream" TV? I spend my 20 bucks a month on iTunes to get my Stewart/Colbert fix, and the rest is crap. Yeah, I bought a few NBC episdoes here and there, but I certainly will NOT partake in this new 'service'.

I decide WHEN and WHERE I want to watch something. Screw NBC and their misguided ignorant restrictions and format.