NBC Mini-Series "10.5"

Discussion in 'Community' started by voicegy, May 2, 2004.

1. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Poorly written, horribly acted, dreadfully unscientific - but some of the effects in this West Coast Quake flick are neat. :)

Sunday night's episode showed the Seattle Space Needle and the Golden Gate bridge get obliterated. Got to admit, they did a heck of a good job. Monday night promises even more mayhem, as Los Angeles gets hit with "the Big one."

I even found this preview on the web mildly amusing - using an old web browser trick to "bring home" the terror - turn your sound up a bit, too:

http://makeashorterlink.com/?R2A612138

2. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I didn't even watch it. My family watched it and laughed. It's hard to believe that the writers did absolutely NO research, but that's the story going around.

I don't know. Maybe it played well in parts of the country where the citizenry aren't motivated to know the facts about earthquakes, but I have a feeling that the gross inaccuracy probably hurt ratings in the West unless the urge to see your local landmark keel over was too great.

For a much better disaster movie (no idea if it is any more scientifically-grounded, but it's pissing pissing off Republicans, the trailer rocks, and the writer-director made Independence Day) check out The Day after Tomorrow.

3. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Just curious, but how is The Day After Tomorrow pissing off Republicans?

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This movie should win the award for worst acted mini series ever. I could only watch 5 mins of it without changing the channel.

6. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I watched the scene of the Golden Gate Bridge being ripped apart, it looked like Matchbox cars being thrown off of a toy model. :eek:

7. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i thought it was entertaining and very scientific

earthquakes big enough always follow trains right down a track, no matter what path the train takes

earthquakes always swallow up one of the heroes

earthquakes always break off the most expensive real estate in the world and dump it into the ocean

8. Mason macrumors regular

Check this site out for information on how this show is full of crap.

Oh, and I especially like the part where they use nuclear bombs to seal fault lines thousands of miles below the earth's surface, but people 300 feet above the explosion are ok because they put gravel down the hole.

9. Krizoitz macrumors 6502a

Krizoitz

Apparently they did a showing at CalTech, they laughed through the whole thing.

10. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

This movie was so bad I watched a Red Sox game instead. :eek:

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Someone needs to tell the writers that Barstow (which I, sadly enough, live near) is actually 3000 feet above sea level. I'm still puzzling over how the Pacific was lapping at their feet. :p :p :p

12. voicegy thread starter macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    hahahaha! Too bad an earthquake didn't swallow up the script.

I had a chance to go with my movie critic friend to see Van Helsing Monday night...was a tough choice...stay home and see the 2nd half of "10.5" or see Van Helsing for free before it gets released to the general public...just take a wild guess at what I decided...

...and, friends, "Van Helsing" friggin' ROCKS!! Non stop action (sometimes too MUCH action) amazing sound and a great story - same guy who did "The Mummy"...take that movie and multiply it by 5, and toss in Dracula, Wolfmen and Frankenstein..what a ride!! (I'm sure someone will post about it when it comes out, so I really DON'T want this to turn into another thread entirely!)

13. Kelvin macrumors member

Kelvin

According to the Richter Scale (which is logarithmic), a magnitude 10.5 quake would result in earth movement of approximately 3 kilometers @ 100KM from the epicenter. 3 kilometers! Absolutely moronic.

I saw a few bits here and there. I liked the part where this lady is standing in a bathroom and the quake hits and all the mirrors break, but none of the windows break. WTF?! Windows break during an earthquake because the structure is flexing. Why in the hell would bathroom mirrors break?!?!

14. &RU macrumors member

my belief was not suspended...

The acting gave me the chills, and not in a good way. I swear that the writers lifted every line in the script, because I could tell you every line before the actor delivered it. And I am glad that I wasn't the only person to laugh through the "serious" parts. I wish I was at Van Helsing too. :(

15. Bedawyn macrumors regular

Because it's treating climate change as a real problem. I'd say more, but we'd get thrown into the politics forum. :)

I love disaster movies and had planned to watch 10.5, but ya'll are making me glad I forgot about it!

16. zarathustra macrumors 6502a

zarathustra

I am a republican and I am concerned about climate change and the environment. And so are other (much, much higher ranking) republicans. What's your point, bucko?

You already said too much - how would an apocaliptic movie piss off republicans more than democrats. Yeah, makes sense. :rolleyes:

BTW: the movie 10.5 made me gag. I have to agree with what was said before me: poor acting, poor script, scientific loopholes big enough to fly a 747 through. What was the worst is the constantly moving camera angles and sudden zooms á-la NYPD. Except NYPD uses them sparingly to accentuate a tense moment, but in this movie every second of conversations was a zoom-unzoom, move camera in circle, repeat.

To quote Bart Simpson:

"I didn't think it was physically possible, but this sucks and blows at the same time!" :p

17. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

WELL, overall it makes more sense than fear factor, survivor, and american idol...and those shows are big hits

the acting may not be the best, but at least one of the actors, fred ward, did an excellent job in the movie, "henry and june" with uma thurman and perhaps my all time favorite movie...not easy to find, it's one of those independent, art house movies with a low budget but great script

18. Awimoway macrumors 65816

10.5 smashed ratings for NBC movies. I guess that means many more research-free disaster movies. :rolleyes:

19. mike412 macrumors newbie

well, I didn't watch it, but I can tell you that Mac OS 10.5 will be much better than this movie. :)