Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

nbcolympics.png

NBC has released a pair of iOS apps to give US-based viewers comprehensive 2012 Summer Olympics coverage, including livestreaming of every event from London.

The most exciting development in Olympics coverage this year is NBC's livestreaming of every event from London. The company plans to offer streaming on computers both on the NBCOlympics.com website, and on the NBC Olympics Live Extra iPhone and iPad app [Direct Link]. NBC plans to offer 3,500 live hours across 302 medal events live.

In past years, NBC has controversially time-delayed events to run them during prime time in an effort to maximize ratings. This year, NBC will allow viewers to watch every event live, and restrict replays of selected events until after they have been run on NBC during prime time.

Viewers do need to verify that they subscribe to a cable, satellite or telco video tier that includes CNBC and MSNBC. NBC has created a help webpage to answer questions and assist users in getting their Olympics livestreaming working.
Get to ready to watch every moment of the 2012 London Olympic Summer Games LIVE for FREE with the NBC Olympics Live Extra app. In addition to watching all the live action, during the Olympics, enhance your viewing experience with alternate camera views, plus full replays on-the-go! You can follow your favorite events and sports, and receive push notifications for event start times. Download now on your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch to prepare for the start of the London Games, and take a look back at the best of the Beijing Olympics
NewImage6.png

The free universal NBC Olympics app [Direct Link] offers news, on-demand video, photo galleries, and more:
Experience the best of the 2012 London Olympic Summer Games with the NBC Olympics app. Get prepared for the Games now by checking out news, video, photos for every sport and all Team USA athletes. Plus, you can follow your favorite sports, teams and athletes, and engage with other fans on Facebook, Twitter and Google+ -- all from your iPad, iPhone, iPod touch.

During the Olympics, you can follow every event from London, including real-time results & schedules, medal counts and TV & Online listings. And during the nightly Primetime Show televised on NBC, the app will feature a second screen experience that makes a great companion to the on-air broadcast!
NBC Olympics is free for iPhone and iPad via the App Store. [Direct Link]

NBC Olympics Live Extra is free for iPhone and iPad via the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: NBC Releases Summer Olympics iOS Apps, Offering Livestreaming of All 302 Events

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Viewers do need to verify that they subscribe to a cable, satellite or telco video tier that includes CNBC and MSNBC.

Well, that makes it useless.

Might have bought a $5-10 pass for the duration of the games. Their loss.

Andy-V

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2007
Well their logo is nicer than the official one (though that's not saying much).

babyj

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
Hopefully the BBC will be launching something similar in the UK, or will be streaming via the iPlayer app or their website.

Are the US and other countries getting the 24 HD TV channels that the BBC will be broadcasting (via Sky and Virgin in the UK)?

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Well, that makes it useless.

Might have bought a $5-10 pass for the duration of the games. Their loss.

Perhaps this was done to appease cable/satellite/telco companies, but as a cord cutter myself, I would appreciate in-app purchase option as well.

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Hopefully the BBC will be launching something similar in the UK, or will be streaming via the iPlayer app or their website.

Are the US and other countries getting the 24 HD TV channels that the BBC will be broadcasting (via Sky and Virgin in the UK)?

Already have done, check out the AppStore. :)

EDIT: Seems to be no iPad version, only iPhone.

Last edited:

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
trying to look at the difference but cannot figure it out.

what's the difference between the two apps?

And I recall from previous years that NBC has all/most of their sister-stations have Olympic coverage...around 6-8 stations, maybe more?

jon1987

macrumors regular
Jan 27, 2011
Can't see anything for the iPad, just the iPhone.

Hmm good point, didnt check my iPad. I hope they bring out an iPad version, the iPhone version looks quite good. I have been watching live sport direct from the Beeb website lately, but a dedicated app would be nice.

dvwtwo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
Uh oh. Looks like a custom video player rather than the built-in system player, which suggests no AirPlay. If that's the case, that stinks. Also, I am a cable subscriber (for now) but would appreciate it if these networks would get with the program and start offering alternative pathways. An in-app purchase for non-subscribers to get video would be most welcome, just like NBC does for the Tour de France and MLB does with their At Bat app.

mza_7558019259484996109.320x480-75.jpg

CougRon

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2005
Auburn, WA
I'm confused. What's the difference between the two apps? there must be something different between the two, why else have two? but from their descriptions here they sound identical.

dvwtwo

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2010
I'm confused. What's the difference between the two apps? there must be something different between the two, why else have two? but from their descriptions here they sound identical.

Live Extra is really just video. The other one is news, results (presumably), bios, etc. Really quite dopey that they're two apps, but whatever. NBC and the rest of these media companies are such dinosaurs that I'm thrilled the app even exists.

CougRon

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2005
Auburn, WA
Yeah, okay, from taking a deeper look at the app store descriptions it looks like the NBC Olympics app is news, stats, articles, highlight clips and replays and secondscreen for everything they show on the network. The Live Extra app includes the highlights and replays, plus live feeds for all the events with 'dvr' playback ability. None of the news articles and focused stats and such. That is if I'm interpreting it correctly.

Still confused as to why this is two apps. there seems to be considerable overlap. Perhaps they originally planned for one of them to be a paid/subscription app but changed their mind and were too far in the development process to merge the apps in time to meet deadlines?

belsokar

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2005
Unfortunately it's not a native app, looks like an Adobe cross-compiled app...most people may not notice, but may lead to issues with performance, and that nice native feel...

with that said, they probably did it this way so they could roll-out to android devices as well...

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Still confused as to why this is two apps. there seems to be considerable overlap.

Perhaps NBC is doing us a favor by letting us choose superior London 2012: Official Results App for the news and Live Extra for video.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.