Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrianInLA

macrumors member
May 8, 2009
Chicago, IL
No image or sound issues to date - only complaint has been the live sports listing. There was two nights where the list wouldn't update and show what could be viewed.

Kittykatzrus

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2016
Is anyone else having trouble watching the Olympics on the NBC sports app on ATV4? It's incredibly laggy, skips constantly (both forward and backward) and plays the same thing over and over again. Many times, the sports listed are not the ones actually being shown. I'm wondering if it's just me...
I called SLING TV today about this same issue. 877-811-4788 They might be able to walk you through your issues too !

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
The biggest annoyance for me is that when you switch streams, you often have to watch the same commercial over again. It gets tiresome if you're merely channel surfing.

That irritates me so much! Not only do you keep having to re-watch the ads when channel surfing, but you have to watch them again when the app crashes and you relaunch it. Soooo annoying! Seems awfully convenient for NBC though. :rolleyes: #justsaying

I'm not one to hate on commercials in general, and I get that they're something that are always gonna be there, but man. Having to sit through the same exact commercials you just saw 2 minutes before because your app decided to crash is just so frustrating, especially when something exciting is going on with one of the events.

Reactions: tonyr6

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
Anyone having streaming issues tonight? I've been watching it all day and it's been fine, but now all of a sudden the NBC Primetime live feed is almost comically pixelated - I can't see a thing. Other streams seem to be working okay for me.

Hookemfins

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
The delay issue I mentioned above was back and I know why. I had the olympics on the ATV4 on one HDMI and flipping between baseball and NASCAR on DTV. The stream held for around 2 hours. I went to the NBC live on DTV at 10:18 to catch and caught the interview with 3 USA medalist in the 100 m hurdles. I flipped back to ATV 4 and that same interview appeared at 10:32, 14 minutes later.

The delay stems from the commercials run on the app. I timed the same commercial break from NBC live to the in app one. The break in the app ran for 4:15 while the NBC was for 3 minutes.

Anyone notice that on the bottom there is a message that says "light tap to FF and RW. Pause to seek"? Doesn’t work on my end.

JBaby

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2015
Anyone notice that on the bottom there is a message that says "light tap to FF and RW. Pause to seek"? Doesn’t work on my end.
It works for me, but it's very finicky. It should not work as a touch because it's way too easy to skip back/forward. It should require a click of the touchpad. Really it shouldn't be doing its own thing at all. It should follow the guidelines that  has has put in place so every entertainment app is simple to use for the Muggles. At first the way the app worked confused me too and I'm far from a Muggle. I don't think  should accept entertainment apps that don't follow the simple way the Siri Remote works. I may be in the minority who holds this opinion. The AMC app is another offender who's running amok doing its own thing.

voiceofreason23

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2009
Indio, CA
Every time I used the app, it did just as described above. Lagged constantly, would repeat back the same content over and over, and when it did start to "move forward" it would skip 15-20 secs of content (sometimes minutes). NBC has a long way to go in this medium if they want to compete with Watch ESPN and Fox Sports GO. Just another reason why the IOC should void their contract with NBC and find a new broadcast partner.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I used the app a lot. Used it more that I watched network content. And I admit there are areas that could be improved but all in all, I thought it worked pretty good. Did not have any problem with lagging or skipping or anything. For NBC's first shot at doing something like this (full Olympic coverage), I thought it was a pretty credible effort. I really liked the ability to choose the sport I wanted to watch and be able to watch a live feed of it without on the network fluff and human interest stories. That said, lots of room for improvement by winter olympics time. Hope they put some additional effort in to it.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
For NBC's first shot at doing something like this (full Olympic coverage), I thought it was a pretty credible effort.

But it's not their first shot, which makes it all the more frustrating for those of us who had problems using their streaming app. Some days using the app was so bad that I had to resort to watching cable to see what I wanted to watch. And the "HD" picture Cox provides is not the greatest.

They hosted live streams of the London 2012 and Sochi 2014 olympics as well. They may have also live streamed the 2010 olympics, but I don't remember. In my opinion the fact that there were so many people having these problems shows me that NBC just isn't technically proficient enough to be hosting live streaming of a huge sporting event like the Olympics. Add to that the "HD" picture on NBC's live streams was barely HD at all. I agree with voiceofreason23, above, about the IOC finding a different broadcast partner.
[doublepost=1471881784][/doublepost]I found this page on Wikipedia about NBC and the olympics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympics_on_NBC. They didn't start live streaming until London 2012 and it appears they have not improved at all in the 4 years they've been doing it. Ugh.

Last edited:
Reactions: JBaby

BuffaloTF

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2008

Yeah, it's poorly worded instructions. Lightly put your finger on the left or right edge to bring up the bar, then you gotta click to move it 10/15 seconds in that direction - there should be an icon over the position marker line with either a clockwise or counter-clockwise arrow and the # of seconds it'll move. Then, if you pause, you can drag your finger across to move quickly to different times, back and forth.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
But it's not their first shot, which makes it all the more frustrating for those of us who had problems using their streaming app. Some days using the app was so bad that I had to resort to watching cable to see what I wanted to watch. And the "HD" picture Cox provides is not the greatest.

They hosted live streams of the London 2012 and Sochi 2014 olympics as well. They may have also live streamed the 2010 olympics, but I don't remember. In my opinion the fact that there were so many people having these problems shows me that NBC just isn't technically proficient enough to be hosting live streaming of a huge sporting event like the Olympics. Add to that the "HD" picture on NBC's live streams was barely HD at all. I agree with voiceofreason23, above, about the IOC finding a different broadcast partner.
[doublepost=1471881784][/doublepost]I found this page on Wikipedia about NBC and the olympics: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olympics_on_NBC. They didn't start live streaming until London 2012 and it appears they have not improved at all in the 4 years they've been doing it. Ugh.
So, if I understand your statement correctly, there was an NBC Sports aTV3 app in 2012? Or was the 2012 live stream you are talking about through the NBC website, or was it an iPhone app?

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
So, if I understand your statement correctly, there was an NBC Sports aTV3 app in 2012? Or was the 2012 live stream you are talking about through the NBC website, or was it an iPhone app?

Yes to all three. In 2012 I was in the Peace Corps, stationed in Eastern Europe, and I couldn't watch the olympics on the NBC Sports streaming app on my iDevices without a VPN because NBC was location blocking the streams.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.