NBC "Video iPOD" this AM (9/3/03)

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by -hh, Sep 3, 2003.

1. -hh macrumors 68020

-hh

Recall those rumors a few months ago about a Paperback book sized iPod enclosure?

Well, I think I saw one this morning.

I happened to be watching WNBC (Channel 4, New York) this morning, and between 6:45-6:50AM EDT (I'm assuming it was the TODAY Show), they had a short segment on "new toys coming this fall".

The toys included a doll that did something (missed that one), a new combo cellphone+MP3+games handheld...and what I can only describe as a video iPod.

They reported it was a portable TV console, with a 20MB hard drive. I wasn't really paying too much attention until I heard the word "iPod" and looked up to see an Apple iPod-like clear and white plastic box with curved corners, ports on the side, and most of the flat side of the device being a color TV screen (probably a 1/2" edge around the sides).

They moved on quickly and I never heard the word Apple or who reportedly was making this product. But its design and curves certainly looked a lot like an iPod, and from what I recall on the old rumor thread here (I didn't go check it), the dimensions and "holes" sounded right. Just wish I had had been paying better attention...or better yet, a VCR running.

Interesting, to say the least.

-hh

2. Squire macrumors 68000

Squire

Sounds cool. It's unlikely, though, that Steve would allow info on TWO new products to be leaked within a few months of one another. Could it be that they were comparing it to the iPod?

So, what do you do with a video iPod? Watch movies on the go?

Squire

3. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Interesting...though when you heard "iPod" it could have been in context of "looks a lot like an iPod" or "about the size of an iPod." Personally, I'd never want to try and watch anything on a screen that tiny. Even watching DVDs on the Ti is annoying when you're used to nice big TV screens. :)

4. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

it doesn't seem like anything revolutionary...Just has an antenna to get TV signals...We've had these for years.

And as far as storing anything, what video file of any substance will you store w/20 MB?

5. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

perhaps it's 20GB, but even then not a whole lot of video...

6. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Perhaps it's a point-and-shoot digital camera of some sort. A nice big screen, tons of storage space for taking short video clips. Or maybe an iPod for music videos...... you queue up a song and it plays the music video in mp4 format.

Just a little bit of speculation..... and hope.

7. -hh thread starter macrumors 68020

-hh

True. However, I do have to say that the enclosure really looked like it was carved out of an iPod, both in terms of its general size (maybe a little bit bigger), as well as its "Look And Feel".

The display on the device appeared to be turned on...it was more than a simple glossy color label...but I cannot recall if the images were static or moving. Argh.

Just hoping someone else caught this (has NBC on tape, etc) so they can confirm that I'm not going crazy. :D

-hh

8. MorganX macrumors 6502a

MorganX

Remember the video will be for a 3-something" screen.

9. macstyle macrumors newbie

I saw it on the wnbc.com it's made by rca and has a 20 gig hd.

10. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Speaking of iPods w/ antennaes, do you think Apple will ever release an iPod that can get the iTunes radio channels w/ an antennae?

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Remember that the iTunes radio stations you can access from your Mac are internet-based radio stations. That is, they broadcast online and don't involve a radio signal at all. Therefore, an antenna wouldn't do you much good.

But it would be nice to have access to those radio stations on your iPod.

MAYBE the iPod will one day ship with a VERY portable wireless network card that would activate when you're in a wireless "hotspot," as is the case with notebooks now.
    In that "hotspot" you would have full internet access...Depending on the software, Apple could either allow you to totally browse the web (would be a pain, I don't think this would be good, because the iPod would try to be a jack of all trades) or simply allow you to access the radio stations available through iTunes (or others that you can input when you sync your iPod to your computer, wirelessly, of course).