NC Women Awarded $9 Million over Husband’s “Other Lover”

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by joro, Mar 31, 2010.

1. macrumors 68020

joro

Link: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...sbands_alleged_lover_earns_her_9m_from_j.html

2. macrumors G5

ucfgrad93

This is just idiotic. Sorry that your husband cheated with another woman, however, that doesn't entitle you to $9 million.

3. thread starter macrumors 68020

joro

There are two things about this case which I find mildly amusing that the article doesn’t point out or doesn't expand on.

(1) From the way it was reported locally, she got the $9M because the defendant failed to appear for the trial despite being served a summons.

(2) I think it’s interesting that the law is still on the books. It’s a very antiquated law that’s based on the idea that people are “property” and interfering with “property” can get you sued.

Surely I would think such a ridiculous amount would be overturned but you never know with appeals especially given she didn’t show up for the original court date.

4. Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

*shrug* More power to her. The "other" person always seems to come out of these things without a scratch.... (Of course, hearing this lawsuit is a flagrant waste of taxpayer money).

5. Slarti Bartfast, Mar 31, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2010

macrumors member