NCAA Basketball!!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kuyu, Oct 11, 2005.

1. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

The first practices are just around the corner so this seems like a good time to see some predictions for the top-25, the final four, and the 06 Champions.

My team (University of Kentucky) is about to set an attendance record for a first practice. They gave out over 20,000 tickets to the season opener in under 30 minutes! All in all, Rupp Arena will be filled to capacity with over 23,000 people in attendance (for a practice!).

It will be televised on ESPNU (the ocho wasn't available ;)). This could be the year, as people are already talking national championship.

We've got a 7'3", 7'2", 7'1", and that's just the bench reserves for our starting center!!!

Who do you guys like this year???

2. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

Michigan... though there's not much to cheer about there recently.

Otherwise, I usually root for who's playing against Duke or North Carolina. Now, if they happen to be playing against each other I'll usually end up rooting for North Carolina because my Pistons have benefited more from North Carolina products versus Duke products (Larry Brown, Sheed, Stackhouse vs. Grant Hill, Christian Laettner).

3. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Oh boy, seeing this thread triggered fond memories of last year's NCAA Tourney thread...good times!

Anyway...go UCONN Huskies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

I haven't spent enough time looking into this lately, though I know ESPN likes Duke (surprise).

Unfortunately my Illini will be facing an uphill battle with the talent that left at the end of last season, but I can only hope UNC has similar challenges :p

As always, College BB is my favorite sport to watch, so I'm looking forward to seeing the season get moving. I'm anxious about Illinois, but excited by the potential.

5. Jovian9 macrumors 68000

Jovian9

UK!!!!!!!
    The Cats are cutting down the nets this year.

6. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well I had to bring that Old suit out of the closet while it still has some meaning! :p

Of course I am pulling for the most amazing, underdawg, repeat of the millenium! (been a short millenium of course)

I, like emw have had little time to keep up with things even though it is my favorite thing to watch, that and NFL are a dead tie.

GO HEELS! NCAA National CHAMPIONS!!

7. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Heel, yeah! Go Heels! :cool:

(And boo Duke.)

8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Ya mean dook? :p ;)

9. kuyu thread starter macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Speaking of Dook, I see people all over UK's campus wearing t-shirts that say "Duck Fuke" Too funny ;)

By seasons end, Rajon Rondo will get the credit he deserves as the best point guard in the country. Did anyone see the play against Florida's Roberson last season when Rondo straight pwnd him? Imagine: You dribble from your right hand to your right hand, behind your back, running full speed, without taking an extra step. And you're a 18 year old true freshman. Think about it. Amazing... (got called for traveling... didn't actually... still cool)

He also set the single game steals, avg per game steals, and season steals record(s) for all time at UK. Averaged 11.3 points/game in the NCAA tournament. Started every game. All as a true freshman.

This kid's going to be a superstar, no doubt about it.

10. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

I'd have picked UConn to go all the way this year, but all their point guards went off and got arrested for stealing laptops (and probably not Powerbooks, either). So now I'm not sure who I think is going to win it all; just hoping against hope that it isn't Duke! :p

Stanford's going to be good again this year. Won't see the new coach growing pains that were painfully evident early last year, and Chris Hernandez, "Danimal" Grunfeld and Matt Haryasz are perhaps the top threesome in the Pac-10 conference. Tim Morris passed Human Bio this time around and Fred Washington got his hand surgically repaired, so there are two very exciting, athletic wings to attack the rim and cause havoc defensively. The only thing missing is what is normally a Stanford trademark: depth in the paint (can't the Lopez twins just skip their senior year of high school?). sophomore Peter Prowitt has got to give Matt Haryasz, who's more of a high post guy, some quality help. All in all, these guys are good enough to win the Pac 10 and get into the Sweet 16, barring injuries (KNOCK ON WOOD).

11. technocoy macrumors 6502a

technocoy

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Well based on last years performance and returning players, I think UK is the team to beat. That all counts for something, right up to when they actually start playing. They kept alot of talent and did well last year as a young team. They will probably do very well <gimace>.

Go HEELS!

13. jcarm24 macrumors regular

jcarm24

Duke has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. I have no affiliation with the college or state. But it was the team I started rooting for when I starting watching pro and college basketball. I will root for them even if my kids go to NC or any rival team.
    Oh yeah, go Eagles

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Now that the season is in full swing, it's time to revive his thread from last month.

The Illini had an uneventful showing against San Diego St., but still didn't look that polished. Looking forward to 11/29 against the Heels (at UNC).

MSU got upset today, as did Stanford. Pretty shocking, especially MSU by 22! I didn't see the game, but it doesn't sound good!

15. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

who knocked you guys out of the tourney last year?

Oh yeah... NC State

Go Pack baby!!!!!!!

16. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

GW has it's highest pre-season ranking in a while, excited to see how they do this year....

Maryland cracked the top25, and with darryl strawberry back in action, i expect them to be in the hunt again

17. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

it's time? how many more national championships do you need?! spread the wealth ;) :D

18. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Though they only have 900+ votes, in both ratings polls, anyone think U of Memphis could be a sleeper, this year?

19. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

is this the same memphis that just beat alabama? hardly a "sleeper", they're ranked...:confused:

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I think the Terps are gonna surprise some folks this year, not that they're going all the way or anything (UK, though...). More than anything else, I just want us to avenge that embarrassing three-peat Clemson put on us last season.

Oh, and to kick Dook's butts again this year, of course.

21. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

UNC lost their first game last year and sadly went on to win the national championship ... so losing an early game truly doesn't mean anything, but I was smiling to see MSU lose

22. Macaddicttt macrumors 6502a

Macaddicttt

I'm not a big basketball fan, but I think I'm obligated to say this.

GO HOYAS!

HOYA!
    SAXA!
    HOYA!
    SAXA!

23. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

I think it's **** that GWU and Georgetown don't play each other

24. emw macrumors G4

emw

Looks like Illinois struggled a little bit yesterday before finally pulling away from Texas Pan American. I didn't get to see the game, and I guess it's just as well :eek:

I can take some comfort in seeing UNC struggle against Gardner Webb, although it will still be a tough game on the 29th!

25. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

Im going with Maryland!

FEAR THE TURTLE!

Attached Files: