NCAA Basketball

Discussion in 'Community' started by Kwyjibo, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

So probably one of the biggest games before april happened today here on my campus

Wake Forest (1) @ Illinois (3) .... AND WE KILLED THEM.

I'm pretty pumped about our program, I have been since last year but man we passed our first two tests soooooo well. Who's your team and how are they doing after these five or so games ....

btw we're 67-3 over the for the past 5 seasons to current .... so its tough to come here and win.

2. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

after an opening scare to Vermont, the Jayhawks have looked well in their last two games (granted, they only played St. Joesph's and Nevada). But after Wake Forest's lost tonight, Kansas should be back at #1 in the polls, if Illinois doesn't jump them (they looked really good tonight :eek: ). We really don't get tested again until we go out an play Kentucky in Lexington, but by then we should be a finely tuned machine. Hopefully, this is the year we win it all, especially with our Senior leadership.

Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk, KU.

:)

3. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'm pretty sure that considering the quality of our play tonight, and if we win against arkansas, then we should be #1.

4. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

maryland looked terrible against wisconson the other night, but they played like crap for the first half of last season and managed to win the acc last year. and this is a better team than that one, i'm feeling confident of their chances.

george washington played a tough game against wake forest early in the season, and look like they have the talent to run the a10 this year. looking for their first tourny apearence in a few years, have the athleticism to cause a few upsets.

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

6. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

trying to revive this as the NCAA-BBALL discussion thread, and keep the other one strictly to the final 4....

anyone watch iowa state and UVA last night? iowa definitely got away with one there, UVA should have been able to close that out... but nice upset win for iowa state!

7. quackattack macrumors 6502a

quackattack

Illinois looks really scary. I'm excited to see how my Ducks do against them on Saturday. Undefeated so far, Pulling for the upset! :D :D

-quack (maybe my nick makes alot more sense now ;) )

8. emw macrumors G4

emw

If they play like they did against Chicago State (18 Turnovers) you might have a pretty good chance. Also, my Illini will have played 3 games to your 1 in the past week, so they could start wearing down.

On the other hand, they're playing in their second home, the United Center, where they always play well (unlike the Bulls).

But I'm looking for it to be a great game. Hopefully Illinois will still be undefeated by then, after a tough game at Georgetown on Thursday.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

:confused: :confused: tough?? georgetown hasn't been a factor in about 3 seasons... i wouldn't worry about this game at all! tickits are INCREDIBLY easy to come by down here because no one wants to go!

10. emw macrumors G4

emw

I never like to downplay any opponent on the road - even if they haven't been playing exceptionally well. Especially since we're playing 4 games in 7 days, going from Arkansas to Champaign to Georgetown to Chicago. Not a lot of time for resting up. And you know G'Town will be geared up playing the #1 team.

11. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

oaklahoma state certainly looked like the real deal last night... their bench was incredible, best sign of a great team

12. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i see your point about being tired... but i think your bench could beat them. that program has suffered so much internal turmoil over the past few years that no attention has been payed to actually playing the game well.

but... who knows... watch me have to eat my words come this weekend... :eek:

13. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Illinois has two different benches, it just depends on which shows up. We have the one thats awesome, and huge (Nick the chainsaw Smith) with tons of experience because they've been playing together.

Then theres the crappy one that doesn't do anything that came out the last game with Nick Smith playing point, and Shawn Pruitt giving up 5 turnovers, 3 Fouls and 2 Walks ... So our bench is either the best or the worst ...

14. emw macrumors G4

emw

Whew! Georgetown lead Illinois more than Illinois had been behind all year in total! I was worried there until the end of the first half, when Illinois started coming alive.

Now if we can just get by Oregon, I'll be happy. It will be the first time Illinois will ever hold the #1 spot for more than 1 week. But Saturday will be tough. 4th game in 8 days. Ouch.

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Kuyu, good luck with indiana today, should be a good game to watch.

16. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

OK it is heating up, UNC #5, my boys are starting to crank-it is time to declare your team and start shouting!!!!!!!!!

I was torn up to watch my panthers lose thier playoff shot in the NFL, but now that they are gone, it is all NCAA Basketball and the Tarheels!

17. Cabrini715 macrumors member

Cabrini715

Gonzaga is looking extremely strong this year especially with their win over oklahoma state and i think they'll go far. Sweet 16....definitely

18. Kwyjibo thread starter macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I'd be more than happy if the zags only had one loss on the year because it immediately sets them behind illinois :)

still number one and still strong, I was so anxious when kansas nearly lost to Ok St. But a 2pt victory at home, that was a little bit weak. Its good to win the tough games tho. Kansas is finally getting some real tests hopefulyl they'll drop a game so that makes like 7 undefeated teams left.

The big ten is shaping up differently than I expected with iowa emerging and all and wisconsin being below average for wisconsin.

19. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

ACC is a hard life this year, a tank with nothing but sharks and everyone is hungry!
    We did move to #3, which is higher than I want to be, good to be an underdawg and not the guy everyone wants to knock off.

Our next 3 games

Sat, Jan 8
    (22) Maryland
    12:00 pm

Wed, Jan 12
    (9) Georgia Tech
    7:00 pm

*Sat, Jan 15
    at (4) Wake Forest
    1:30 pm

That will be harsh!!!!!!! Especially ending that week at Wake!

20. emw macrumors G4

emw

My predictions from November are here. I still stand by them at this point. I don't see my Illini losing until they travel to Wisconsin.

I think if Illinois can win on the road at Wisconsin, Mich State, or Iowa, they will lock the Big Ten title. Iowa is tough, and so is MS, so they'll have to be careful.

21. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

ill-ini

gotta chime in and say that my team is the Illini. Have been since 02 when baby Dee, Deron , and James were freshies and now they are oh so good. I got to go to my first game against Chicago St. and it was a treat. I was afraid of Cincy but we won anyways!

[​IMG]

22. emw macrumors G4

emw

Glad you had the opportunity to go see a game. The Illini have been my team since 1983, when my brother started school there. I have been even more of a fan since I started in 87. It's been a long time since the '89 Final Four, so here's hoping they go all the way this year!

23. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Go UCONN!

Connecticut baby! This year is a bit of a rebuilding year, though they do have some talent. They beat Indiana but were upset by UMASS. The rest of their games were gimmies. They are just a little young - They haven't quite found themselves yet and have had trouble playing conistent basketball. Except Josh Boone, who's doing great!

Big East games start on Wednesday! If they make it far this year I'll be pleasantly surprised. And in the mean time I'll just reflect back on last season! :D

24. mwpeters8182 macrumors 6502

Just chiming in here, as no one's mentioned my Orange(men) yet. I had the opportunity to see them win it all while I was in school there, drove down to New Orleans for the Final Four. Other than a less-than-stellar showing against OK State, they've played very well, beating two ranked teams already, and an underrated Hofstra team.

This should be a good college basketball season. Good luck to everyone's team of choice.

MP

25. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Has been a tough week for a lot of top 25 so far, Kentucky even almost ate it, and who would've believed UConn?

Some great games though.