NCAA Football Season 2006

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by saunders45, Aug 1, 2006.

1. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

Well, first games are barely 30 days away. What are your hopes and thoughts on your team this year? I really think that this could be a breakout year for my Huskers. As long as the O-Line can give Taylor more that 3 seconds to throw the ball every time, they could be a real threat on offense. Defense, well, it's Nebraska, plus, actually having the starting linebackers playing and uninjured will be great. I like the schedule too. Both USC and Texas, I think the possibility for an upset is realistic, but who knows. Either way, I totally stoked for this year, especially after the Alamo Bowl win against Michigan last year.

Go Big Red!!!

2. Tanglewood macrumors 6502a

Tanglewood

Lets go AZTECS!! SDSU always start with high hopes and always finish in the tiolet. Heres to hoping for change under new head coach Chuck Long.

3. l3lue macrumors member

l3lue

I will be pulling hard for Nebraska in both of these games, as I'm sure they'll both be ranked slightly ahead of LSU!

4. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I'm really hoping for an upset in at least one game. It would be great for the fans as they continue to adjust to the West Coast offense.

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Well my wife would kill me if I didn't give a shout-out for Notre Dame, so "Go Irish!" That aside, it should be an awesome season to watch this year (all teams) with so many of the playmakers from last year having gone to the NFL. I know top players always go, it just seems like there were more really clutch people that left this time around.

The countdown has definitely begun! :D

6. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

ou will definitely struggle this year. They have little/no offensive line, and their new starting qb this year was put on wide receiver after the TCU game last year. Also, if the NCAA decides to look further into this scandal (which they should), ou could lose a few more players, notably adrian peterson, who was driving a lexus for 6 months without paying for it, from the same car dealership bomar and quinn were "working" at.

That said, I am looking forward to this year for the University of Texas! Playing Ohio State in our second game will be tough, especially with a freshman qb, but they're showing great promise, skill and ability, and I personally think we'll be fine. Almost every other position on our team is stacked.

7. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Except, if I remember right, Peterson was already cleared for that. Apparently, that is standard dealership policy - which means that it falls within NCAA regulations.

8. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

From what I've read, it was ou's own compliance office that cleared peterson, and the NCAA never really looked into it. This is the same compliance office that had no idea bomar was getting paid for not working in January, while a member on a rival message board did.

9. timerollson macrumors 65816

I'm hoping that my school, BC, builds upon it's initial year in the ACC and does well. We have a horrible home game schedule though..not enough to make me pay for season tickets. I'm hoping the basketball season fares better.:cool:

10. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

No. 1 vs. No. 2

It's gonna be like the National Championship in September! :cool:

11. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Are you really counting that game? That was easily the worst officiated game that I have ever seen (and I watched Holland vs Portugal). The last play gets all the blame but even the announcers couldn't hold back about how bad the game was. My blood pressure still skyrockets when I think of that game.

Of course, in the interests of full disclosure, I went to Michigan and I'm incredibly biased. I'm hoping that new offensive and defensive coordinators makes us less predictable. GO BLUE!

12. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

13. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    My Alma Matter Penn State should be a big time contender this year.

But they are ranked really low in the ratings....I don't see why.....:confused:

14. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Penn State is dealing with new offensive lines and defensive lines. They replaced Robinson with a top recruit but we'll see how much time he has to throw.

15. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

16. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

I understand where you're coming from, but that game was horribly officiated all around.(unlike the Super Bowl, THAT was the worst officiated game, but save it for another thread.) The last play was crazy, but it the refs didn't hose the play. Yes there were extra players on the field, but did the nebraska players effect the play, I don't think so because the ball was being run on the michigan sideline. Ecker should've given it to Hart or Breaston. Still, evening out the officiating, it was still a good game.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

Being an Illini, I have no dreams of Big Ten Championships or BCS bowls. I just hope that Zook can start the turnaround and we win a couple of conference games. We'll get smoked by the likes of Penn State and OSU, but we may stand a chance against some others, like Indiana perhaps, at least at home.

How long until basketball starts? :eek:

18. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

my Mountaineers are in the top 10 pre-season rankings, but the most likely scenario:

they breeze through their schedule (they play nobody except Louisville), wind up in a big bowl game, and get their @sses kicked by a team that's played really good opponents and knows how to beat a quality team.

but they're my team :)

19. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

You'r probably right. WV has a great team this year (and a great coach) but if they get too excited they might forget to actually play the bowl game.

20. saunders45 thread starter macrumors 6502a

saunders45

West Virginia has a great team, as long as they don't lose their focus, they could run the table..

BTW... Steve Slaton is a stud!!!

21. beatsme macrumors 65816

beatsme

yea...I'm taking classes at Marshall (in Huntington, WV) right now, but I'm a WVU alumnus. You should hear these kids talk about how Marshall has a chance to beat WVU...they play on Sept. 2.

I think not. My prediction is that it's gonna be ugly...WVU by 3 touchdowns I would figure.

22. tedrjr03 macrumors regular

tedrjr03

Woo Hoo, V Tech alll the day. realy though i dont think this is our year, our chance was last year before we lost to miami.we have to easy of a schedule and lost all of our key players

23. AUFordBoy macrumors newbie

AUFordBoy

Only 2 days left! Who all is planning on watching the South Carolina vs Mississippi State game thursday night on ESPN? I can not belive that the line is only -6.5 South Carolina. I have placed my bets on them already as I believe they will destroy MS State.