NCAA Mens Final Four

Discussion in 'Community' started by MacNut, Mar 14, 2004.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Ok the 65 teams have been picked now who do you think will be in the Final Four

2. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

okay, well you posted before i did, so I guess I'll reply here... Duke, St. Jo, Zag, and Conn.

3. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

4. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

5. womencantsail macrumors member

Stanford, Wake, Illinois, Gonzaga

What a bunch of crap, UNC a 6 seed, MD a 4, no Utah State but Vandy and Mich. St get in, and how did Duke keep a #1. The committee should all be shot for that.

6. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Any bitterness toward Duke will not be tolerated. A Final Four list without Duke is, well, just plain wrong.

I say Northwestern will be in the Final Four! hehehe :p

7. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

9. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

There's only one team I'd really like to see in the top 4, and that's Texas, but with the way we've been playing recently, it's questionable as to whether or not we can pull through. Either way, I'll be cheering for the Longhorns all the way through...

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it would be nice for stanford, but they have a very tough bracket and i don't think they can get through it

too bad they lost one game and got the tougher schedule...or so some think within the stanford faithful/community

the last time stanford won was in 1942 which is one of the longest draughts among ncaa champions

11. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Stanford's season schedule was actually not that bad, in my honest opinion. UConn definitely had it worse. And as we'll see, UConn's the better team. It had a really tough schedule.

I'm going to have to go with the standard call: Final Four is Duke vs. UConn and Oklahoma State vs. Kentucky.

This is controversial, but I think that Duke will beat UConn. Duke's schedule WAS harder than UConn's and I think Duke is the better team. Sure, Sunday was terrible, but when Duke is on its game, it does well. The Maryland thing was a fluke.

Kentucky's going to to easily handle Oklahoma State. There's no question.

I think it'll be Duke v. Kentucky in the championship. Now despite my loyalty to Duke, I'll be realistic. I think it'll be a narrow victory for Kentucky. Duke's d isn't good enough; when it plays top-50 teams, it lets them get more points than it does, on average. That means that even though it usually wins, it does so narrowly. When it loses, it loses big. However, it's a high-scoring team. Maybe about ten points higher than Kentucky on average. Kentucky, though, is balanced. It's got a good d, I think, and it scores about as many points as it gives. I think Kentucky will probably depress Duke's score just a little bit off of the average and that Duke will let Kentucky score much higher than it usually does.

But it'll be close. Kentucky doesn't usually win big, either. I think Kentucky will edge out Duke in the 70's.

12. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

it's the teams stanford has to meet which has the local northern california papers so upset

it's as if nobody wants stanford to win...he he

;)

13. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

fluke? eh... depends on how you look at it. surprise? yes... fluke, i think not only because MD REALLY exposed duke's weak defense... and when redick isnt shooting, that means trouble...

14. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

you guys have to admit that pitt got kind of a raw deal.

29-4 overall
    #7 RPI
    4 losses by a total of 10 points, 2 in OT
    13-4 vs. RPI top 50
    regular season big east champions, BET runner-up

this gets them a 3 seed where they'll have to play #10 Wisconsin in Milwaukee? And if they survive that, they get to play Oklahoma State. That's a mighty tough road, IMO.

if pitt learns how to score, they will be very tough to beat. they force teams to play their game: slow, tough, physical, half-court. then again, i'm biased as hell. GO PITT!

15. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

You're right that Duke slipped up and let MD get past them more than it should have...11 points more points than Duke, on average, let top 50 teams get this season.

HOWEVER, the real story, in my opinion, was Duke's mistakes on offense. Although it is true that Duke scored about 14 points higher than it did on average against a top 50 team this season, the circumstances of the game itself point to Duke's numerous missed opportunities. It missed, what, something like 14 freethrows?! And shooting at the 3 wasn't satisfactory at all. Duke had more opportunities to score against MD (clearly, Maryland's defense isn't that brilliant, either), but Duke just didn't do it. If it had gotten its freethrows in, it would have won, if I'm not mistaken. Then, it was totally Duke's offensivee mistakes, which I don't think will happen again.

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Stanford only played four games with other top-50 teams. Connecticut played 16. Duke played 14. Kentucky played 18. Oklahoma played 10.

In fact, of the teams with the top 24 RPI's, Stanford ties for the lowest number of top 50 games played, along with Gonzaga. That's why I don't think either of them will make it to the Final Four. They've had it easy. In the top 40 teams (RPI), only one has a lower # of top 50 games played: Southern Illinois. They're not going anywhere either.

Sure, Stanford will battle it out for entry to the Final Four, but I think it'll lose one game short. It's great run is a result of its relaxed season.

17. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

My prediction: Three number one seeds and a cinderella team that wasn't seeded either 1st of 2nd in its regional. But I won't guess which regional will be the cinderella, since that would reduce my chances of being correct!

18. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

One of my friends is convinced that Arizona will be the cinderella team. I think Maryland has a better chance. However, I just don't think it will happen. I think this year will be dominated by the favorites. However, I'm a man of the numbers and so a cinderella team probably wouldn't show up on my radar.

19. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

anybody thinks gonzaga can pull it out?
    i think wake could be the other "surprise"

20. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

no argument here... pitt should have been at LEAST a 2

21. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Kentucky, St. Joe's, North Carolina, Maryland

22. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Most of the better teams will win most of their games, but what usually happens is that 20% to 30% of the games are "upsets" according to the seedings. That's what makes it exciting.

23. womencantsail macrumors member

I've changed my mind: Kentucky, Oklahoma St., Illinois, Stanford.

With Stanford as the National Champ.

I just have to laugh at you guys who think the RPI is the greatest thing since sliced bread. RPI = BCS. Stanford won 29 of 30 games. St. Joe's won 27 of 28 games. Show me another team that did that. You can't blame a team for their conference. You don't get to choose the teams in your conference. It has to do with geography and size of school. Maybe you didn't notice, but the Pac-10 stands for Pacific 10, so the teams in that conference are going to be on the Pacific coast, with the exception of the Arizona schools, but hey, they're next door. Just like the ACC teams, are on the Atlantic Coast.

As for you guys saying Pitt should be a 2. Fine, tell me what 2 seed should be ousted for Pitt. I guess, the only reasonable argument would be against Miss. St., who lost to Vandy in the SEC tourney. But Wisconsin and Oklahoma St. didn't get the shaft right? They just had their conference championship games ignored.

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

You know what, if team A wins all its games against middle schoolers and team B wins twelve of twenty games against top NBA teams, then I know where my bets are.

That's an exaggeration, but to look just number of games a team has won is ridiculous. Stanford played easier teams. Sure, it won. That's going to give it momentum. But when it plays a team like Duke or UConn, that lost a few more games but against much tougher teams, it's not going to have what it takes. Stanford's not used to that kind of gameplay. Stanford's not used to TOUGH TEAMS. It's gotten comfortable with its high season record, but when you're playing in the NCAA tournament, you're playing really good teams, not mediocre ones.

No one is blaming Stanford for its conference. No one is saying, "Stanford doesn't deserve to win." What I'm saying is, "Stanford won't win." Why? Because I don't think it's the best team, because it hasn't had the toughest schedule. Sure, maybe they're super good and their record would have been just as good no matter who they played. But I'm not betting on that.