[NDS] Any Advance Wars Pros here? (Spoliers)

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Jun 30, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Hello.

I've had Advance Wars Dual Strike since it came out and the game clock shows more than 200 hours of play. I've cleared the main campaign several times but I still have the hardest time clearing one of the mission.

Mission 24 Pincer Strike

It the one where Drakes Clone attacks you with Jugger. His base is in the Northeast. You attack him with Orange Star in the South-West and Blue Moon in the North-West.

I've cleared almost every mission with an "S" grade. (Healing Touch and Dark Ambition with "A" only) but I still lose this mission 2 times out of 3. I can't seem to get a better grade than "C" when I actually manage to win.

Anybody got some pointers for me? What's your strategy, which COs do you use for this mission? How do you survive is sea attacks? Do you even bother attacking him by the sea?

Thanks

srobert

Edit: Dang I hate it when I make a typo in the thread title. :D

2. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

srobert-

Sorry I don't have any pointers, I haven't gotten to that mission yet. I got AWDS a few weeks ago and it is my least used game. I really like turned based strategy but haven't been able to get into this one. Shining Force and Final Fantasy Tactics are among my favorite games. Is this game just a slow starter?
    I was thinking of picking it back up but I've been glued to Final Fantasy Tactics Advance which seems easier strategy wise but the character advancement is very complicated. Also, I have been playing Shining Force Resurrection of the Dark Dragon and really love it because it lets you walk around and collect items and talk to people between battles like Zelda and it has a good story, although the strategy is way too easy. Do you know any other titles in this genre worth playing on the GBA or DS platform? I've read about the Fire Emblem and Tactics Ogre series but don't know if they would be worth picking up...

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Advance Wars is a little different than most Turn-Based Strategy games in the sense that you don't level up. Some people might not like this. It's also considered very hard. You got to use pure strategy and tactics to win against your enemies. You can't simply power-level in the beginning and steam-roll your way to the finish like in some other games. (Like my all time favorite FF Tactics) When you fail in a mission, you don't simply take a break to level up, you stop and plan a different strategy. I love that about Advance Wars. Don't get me wrong. I'm also a huge fan of leveling Turn Based Strategy games.

Also, all the units seem perfectly balanced and it fill like each tile of each map as been placed there for a reason. A very well polished game.

I played Fire Emblem but didn't like it. It was a decent game but very frustrating. Nothing worst than spending 20 hours leveling a character to have him die in a mission… probably from a dirty shot. :) Fire Emblem (GBA) is a very well rated game though and you might enjoy it very much.

Never tried Ogre Tactics (DS). It came out about at the same time as FF Tactics (DS) so I opted for the later. I loved Ogre Battle on the SNES but I hear that Ogre tactics is more similar to the more moderns Turn Based Strategy Games (Like FF Tactics).

There's a whole bunch of decent tactics game of the PS2. Basically, anything made by Nipon Ichi. I'm thinking Disgea, La Pucelle and Phantom Brave. These games are old school.

There aren't any other Tactic games on the DS so far but there is one coming soon: Panzer Tactics. You might not like it if you didn't like Advance Wars. It's in a similar style and from someone who worked of the series. Unlike AW, It's hex based. Some people prefer squares, some people prefer hexes. :)

4. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Thanks for the reply. I think Ill give it another shot. One thing that turns me off is that since the units are tanks and planes etc they aren't as easy to get attached to...I definately would recommend getting a used copy of FFT Advance and Shining Force GBA carts if you can find them and don't already have them...FFT Advance isn't anywhere near as good as the original but it is a good time killer. I will look for those PS2 games too...

Thanks Again
    Dustin

5. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Yeah. I liked FF Tactics Advance a lot but those annoying laws bothered me a lot. ^_^

Enter a level, level is filled with monsters, law is "Don't attack monsters" = all the party go to jail or die. :(

If they had removed the law system, I would have enjoyed the game even more. Also, I was not a big fan of learning my skills from items. I am an "end-game" kind of player so I ussually try to get 100% of what's in the game (skills, items, level, etc…) So, that item based skills made me stick to weaker weapons for a long time. Very good game nonetheless :)

I swear I'm gonna get all 300 medals in advance wars! 233 and counting… well… maybe not… those "beat Very Hard Combat Mode" medals might be out of my reach. :-/

Oh, and byt the way, if you try a Nipon Ichi Tactic game, don't start with Phantom Brave. It's the weirdest of the bunch. Disgea sounds like a better introductory title.

6. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Haha me too! I have been using the weakest weapons just to get their skills. Is there an AP menu in FFT? I haven't found it so I have to watch at the end of an engagement to see if a character learned their skill. I decided to change my main guys job to green mage and that Moogle's job to time mage but haven't decided on the others...There is a serious lack of good strategy guides for FFT Advance. I want the most powerful party possible at the end of the game.

7. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Ohh… It's been more than a year since I last played it. Can't remember. But I do seem to remember that some menus were almost hidden and only acessed by weird button configuration. I discovered some handy menus/listing very late in the game. I'll probably replay this game at some point.

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I never liked those levelling up strategy games as much. It's like Castlevania. The old games (Before the Metroidvania style) required skill to beat bosses. now you can just spend hours levelling up and beat the same boss in just a few attacks. I preferred the skill one myself, just forcing you to learn it's attack patterns and develop a strategy.
    but anyways. I'm not very good at Advance Wars :) I'm on that Ring of Fire map (I think it's called) on normal mode. it's way above me.

9. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

If you google it there are some pages with step by step instructions for beating this battle but I didn't want to post them because that takes out the fun...The quick and dirty explaination is to:

Use woods. Then go for the airport and capture the HQ with some backup fire so your infantry/mech won't get annihilated.

Also, you need to destroy the two battleships. They will kill you when you head for the hq. Use stealths for this.

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

That is the downside of FFT but it is still a fun game. I would still recommend Shining Force because you can beat it without ever spending any time leveling. Just use the same characters until the end of the game and you should be good. Also, it has a pretty good storyline and it is fun to walk around towns between battles and look for treasure and talk to people...
    The original Casetlevanias are fun but I still want to try the DS Castlevania it looks great. The game I am really holding out for is FFIII though. Even though it isn't a turn based strategy game I love the whole Final Fantasy series with VI and VII being the best. The previews make it look fantastic because it uses both processors on one screen for the cutscenes..

11. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

this is the only game which tempts me to get a DS lite.

12. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Some little pointers that I've learn while playing Advance Wars and I though might be worth sharing:

1) Infantry is your friend!: These little guys are often overlooked and only used for capturing bases. They can do more than that. They're inexpensive to build and maintain and make very good cannon fodder. You can build inexpensive infantry "walls" to slow down the enemy's approach. I rarely pass a turn without building one of these guys.

2) APCs (And T-Copters)are infantry's best friends!: They make up for infantry's lack of speed. Very useful for capturing sensitive bases far away from your Headquarter early in a mission. You can create bottleneck that way en choose were the engagement is going to take place.

3) Less is often More: Don't try building the most expensive stuff too fast. sometimes 2 normal Tanks can do a better job than 1 Medium Tank.

4) Megatanks schtinks: These guys are fun when you want to slowly punch through the enemy line and have cash flowing out the wazoo but they can be annoying when the enemy is rolling 'em towards you. What do you do? Duck and cover won't do. The best thing to do is force them to empty their very small magazine of powerful shells (4) on inexpensive disposable units. Infantry won't do since it will use it's infinite ammo machine gun instead. You got to send vehicles to force them to use the shells. Inexpensive Recons are very well suited for the job. Send 4 on a suicide mission then beat the helpless Megatank with your own tanks.

5) Recons make very unfriendly Greeting Committies: These guys shouldn't only be used as glorified fog of war radars. On big maps with lots of city to capture, send a bunch of those quick hunters to gun down the enemy's infantry as they are trying to capture bases. Early in the map, the enemy won't have a lot of tanks to defend the infantry.

6) Anti air? Anti infantry you mean: It's mentioned somewhere in the early missions but never forget that anti air units are the most effective infantry killers. Plus, they're relatively fast on flat terrain.

7) Don't forget to use the terrain: A unit sitting in a forest/city/mountain will lose less health when attacked than a unit standing on plain/road/beach.

13. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Hmm… didn't think of that. I'll give it a try and see if I can up my score. I was trying using subs but I had trouble passing his destroyers.

I have a lot of trouble with capturing the properties fast enough in the north-west corner with blue moon. The enemy is pummeling me very early. I'll see if I can find a better strategy for that area.

14. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

The DS Lite has a ridiculous number of good games for it...go search some of my posts if you want a listing. I have 8 and there are probably another 50 I want to get. The PSP is getting a PS1 emulator though so it can run things like FFVII. I might get a PS emulator for my DS just for that game...The touch screen owns and will be much better for web browsing in the future.

15. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

like? i dont like mario kart or any mario game, sega ruined sonic and i find meteoroid prime too slow and boring.

16. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Sorry if some of the ones you don't like are listed but I copied this from one of my other threads...I'm sure out of these games there are some that would be fun for you. FFIII and Zelda are going to be great if you like those types...PSP only wins if you like driving/sports right now or absolutely must have the best of the best graphics wise with games like Metal gear. The PSP may be better when they release the PS1 emulator for it though...A big plus for the DS is that if you have a girlfriend or wife they will probably like it too which makes it loads of fun and easier to justify new game purchases...

DS Titles I have:

New Super Mario Brothers
    Brain Age
    Tetris DS
    Animal Crossing Wild World
    Metroid Prime Hunters
    Advance Wars Duel Strike

GBA Titles I have:

Shining Force: Resurrection of the Dark Dragon (GBA) (One of my top 5 favorite games ever!)
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA)

DS Titles that interest me:

MARIO KART
    DS Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
    BIG BRAIN ACADEMY
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    Final Fantasy III
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates (DS)
    DS Trauma Center: Under the Knife
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
    Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All
    Nintendogs
    Starfox DS
    Super Mario 64 DS
    Super Princess Peach
    Resident Evil Deadly Silence
    The Urbz: Sims in the City
    Suduko Gridmaster
    Meteos
    Megaman ZX
    Bleach (Import)
    Children of Mana

GBA Titles that interest me:

FINAL FANTASY 1 & 2 DAWN OF SOULS
    FINAL FANTASY IV ADVANCE
    KINGDOM HEARTS:CHAIN OF MEMORIES
    Super Street Fighter II- Turbo Revival
    Super Mario 3 Advance
    The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
    Zelda: Minish Cap
    Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis
    Fire Emblem
    Fire Emblem: Sacred Stones
    Advance Wars
    Advance Wars 2: Black Hole Rising (GBA)
    Sword of Mana

Accessories that interest me:

Opera Browser (Internet Browser)
    Play Yan Micro (MPEG4 & MP3 flashcard player)

17. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i dislike them all for various reasons, as i said, only advance wars interests me and it's not out of ignorance.

why the hell would anyone want brain age, i don't need a game to tell me how much i rule :cool: .

don't take it personally, they just dont float my boat, also i'm not a fan of mobile gameing in general, bar laptops, i just dont have the time to use them in my free time i can just use my 360.

18. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Wow none of those? I guess I'm getting old because graphics just aren't that important to me anymore. I am 25 and grew up on 8-bit/16-bit/24-bit so I don't have to have an HD system to have fun. Also, I just can't afford to get a 360 or PS3 and a new HD television to play them on. The investment for these systems just doesn't seem worth it to me. Storeline and gameplay are far more important to me than how the game looks. The Wii with its back library and intuitive controls actually looks far more interesting to me. I have or have had a PS2, Xbox, PS1, N64, Super Nintendo, NES, Sega Genesis, and Atari 5200 and 7200 in my life and the DS is really up there with the fun of the games. I like these portable games because they are easy to put down unlike games like Starcraft, CS, UT2K4, Evercrack, and WoW which were all very addictive to me...

Brain Age is kinda fun anyway. You should give it a try sometime. Also, every girl I have showed it to won't put it down. My mom, sister, and girlfriend all liked it...kinda funny...

I guess we are just different types of gamers my top favorite games ever are:

1. Shining Force (Genesis)
    2. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)
    3. Planescape Torment (PC)
    4. Zork Grand Inquisitor (PC)
    5. Zork Nemesis (PC)
    6. The Curse of Monkey Island (PC)
    7. Evercrack (PC)
    8. WoW (PC)
    9. Super Mario 3 (NES)
    10. UT2004 or 007 Goldeneye (PC & N64)
    11. Flashback (Genesis)
    12. Starcraft (PC)

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

1) furfighters
    2) halo CE
    3) skies of arcadia
    4) soul caliber
    5) halo 2
    6) sonic 3 & knuckles
    7) monkey island 2
    8) super mario world, the only mario game i ever liked.
    9) Jet Set Radio (not future, the original DC game)
    10) star wars jedi knight: jedi academy
    11) perfect dark zero, i just love the multiplayer.
    12) crimson skies
    13) toy commander
    14) paper boy, gotta love it
    15) advance wars
    16) sonic adventure 2, just awesome
    17) marble blast
    18) crazy taxi (original)
    19) resident evil code veronica
    20) oblivion

it's not about graphics i just have different tastes.

i got a 360 because my friends play on live and thats what counts, and the games are not too shabby either, i really like pdz.

my consoles:

xbox 360, xbox, dreamcast, mega drive (genesis)

20. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Ill have to try Furfighters, Skies of Arcadia, & Soul Caliber. I like Sonic II alot and Super Mario World can't beat 3 to me. Halo is fun but I liked Bond and the UT games better...Alot of what makes a game great to me is the memories associated with them though. Like staying up all night to beat Shining Force with my Dad when I was a kid or playing Bond or Starcraft with my friends in Highschool. Or cutting class early in college to beat FFVII (that was a bad idea)...I would add Monkey Island III to this list because I played it with one of my girlfriends in college and it was fun. Also, the Zork, Kings Quest, and 7th Guest/Myst games were fun back in the day for PC.

21. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i edited the list, though i think i'll have to make it top 20 and edit it again and add some things, monkey island for one.

22. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Sadly, most of my friends are playing WoW right now which I just can't do because it sucks up your life. The DS gives me games that I can put down which is the main reason I like it...Also, it has some of my favorites of all time...

23. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

most of my friends play WoW too, the only reason i'm not atm is because i'm so incredibly poor.

24. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Huh… what happened to the thread? It's perfectly OK no to like some games. Hector was even on topic enough with his first post. Let's try not convince anbody about which games/console are "good". It's often very subjective and a matter of personal taste. Potato, Potahto, Let's Call The Whole Thing Off.

Now back on topic. How do I beat the crap out of Black Hole Army's forces?

25. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Sega ruined Sonic? Funny. Sonic Rush has been billed the best Sonic game since the Mega Drive classics. It's supposed to be very good.

Anyways. time to get back into Advance Wars. Summer holidays, only work 3 hours a week, DS Lite. It's a formula made for some game playing. I just wish I knew how to play AW properly, I just can't find the knack to it especially on the massive maps.