[NDS] Sim City 3000

Discussion in 'Games' started by srobert, Aug 31, 2006.

1. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Sim City on the DS!

Don't know about you guys but this is a very good news to me. Let's hope it makes it's way out of Japan. I want this game badly. I always thought Sim City would be perfect for touch screen. It got some features strangely similar to the SNES version. Like the mentor.

Looking at the scan makes me think it could be very playable even if I don't understanding japanese. Import?

I wonder how it will play on the DS lowerish resolution display. Lots of scrolling?

Anybody noticed the strange Island east of Japan? Looks like a Maxis logo. ^_^

Scan 1

2. Sutekidane macrumors 6502a

Sutekidane

I hope this isn't as bad as every other sim/simcity port/conversion to consoles. It's really meant to play on a PC, but portable would be awesome if it wasn't too clunky to play.

3. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

I liked the SNES version. Did you? Just curious. The scenarios were funny. Rampaging Bowser anyone? The soundtrack was also amazing. I think I liked it better than Simcity 1 and 4 but less than 2000 and 3000.

4. Queso macrumors G4

Shame they couldn't Carbonise the Mac version whilst they were at it :mad:

5. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Right, but the other console sims are clunky because it is playing a mouse driven game with a controller. This is playing a mouse driven game with a stylus... its perfect!

6. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Attached Files:

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yea I read about it this morning. Really want this game. It's the only game that I still play on P (along with hl2), and to say I've had it since the UK launch... just love it. Cannot wait at all.

8. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

This will be cool.
    I just wish it was Sim City 2000. I liked that one the best.
    Actually, it would be cool if they released DS versions of all the Sim games from that era-- Sim Ant, Sim City 2000, Sim Tower! Man, Sim Tower would ROCK on dual screens!

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've only ever played The Sims and Sim City 3000 and 4. I would so love to play some of them old Sim games. They really look like my cup of tea!

10. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

The three I mentioned-- those are the best Sim games EVER. If you have a PPC Mac, download them from the Macintosh Garden and play them in Classic... They rock.

11. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

Maybe they didn't pick 2000 because they released it on 3 Nintendo consoles already? Could be.

SNES: Sim City [ Japan 1991 | USA 1991 | Europe 1992 ]
    SNES: Sim City 2000 [ Japan 1995 | USA 1996 | Europe 1996 ]
    N64: Sim City 2000 [ Japan 1998 ]
    N64: Sim 64 [ Japan 2000 ]
    GBA: Sim City 2000 [ USA 2003 | Europe 2003 ]
    NDS: Sim City 3000 [ Announced for Japan, 2007 ]

Also, Nintendo usually take some liberty with the franchise. They try to improve upon. The DS version could end up quite different than the Sim City 3000 we're used to.

Maybe they're keeping Sim City 4 for the Wii ;)

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have strange mouse problems in Classic. it's like the speed is 0.1 or whatever, no acceleration. just a mad long mouse push along the desk just to span the screen.

13. FleurDuMal macrumors 68000

FleurDuMal

Good on them for trying, but ports of huge, expansive strategy games like Civ and Sim City from PC's to technically inferior consoles usually end in tears. After loving the PC-version so much, I don't know if I could really get into a stripped down console version; it's be much like taking a step backwards.

14. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Actually the game is to be a port but with added features (an advisor when you create the land, online modes etc). I understand what you mean. but this is a PC game from 7 years ago, seeing there game is fully 2D and individual graphics taking up such little memory the DS is more than capable of running it. the only downside being the resolution. but I think for a portable SC3K that is acceptable.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I was just going to say that too. Yeah snes version was class, plus it added seasons to the game, somthing not in the pc/amiga version....

Love simcity, but as it got more & more complicated and sim like, it lost a lot of the fun & simple / but deep fundementals of the original....

concerned over screen size I must admit, but definetly looking out for this one.

16. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Don't get my hopes up!:p

17. DwightSchrute macrumors member

It will suck. Mark my words. For one the screen is way too small. They need to abandon any non-PC Sim City games and work on Sim City 5!! Well, only if it will run on my Macbook. I'm excited to get my Macbook so that I can run Sim City 4 at a reasonable speed. It is excruciatingly slow on my PC but I've still managed to get a city to about 900,00 people. Sim City 3000 and Sim City 4 are probably my all time favorite video games.

18. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

I think this could work out great, especially with the stylus.

Although I really doubt this is a port, seeing as the system req. of 3000 were far beyond the DS specs, it's likely almost 100% rewritten... not that it really matters, though.

A good sim game for DS would be nice.

19. jdechko macrumors 68040

I think that it could work well if they do the control scheme right. I'd like to hope that there's a top down view on the touch screen with zoom functions, and all of the menus arranged in a pull-out fashion (or pull-down, Think Zelda 1). The top view could display the isometric "3d" view of what's on the lower screeen--that's the view we're all used to seeing, but it wouldn't work well if it were just the iso view, I think.

And BTW, my favorite is SC4. I thought laying out utilities (esp. water) was very tedious in 2000 and 3000 was a bit off as well. And I love the rush hour expansion on 4.

20. plinkoman macrumors 65816

plinkoman

you're thinking like it were a pc game. consoles don't need nearly as much power since everything is optimized for it. look at an xbox. it has a friggen 700mHz celeron in it yet it can play games that require twice the power when on a pc.

the only concern I have is screen size and resolution.

I also wonder how the controls would work. it would seem they would want the controls on the bottom to use the stylus with a city view on top, but then when your building, it would seem you would want the city view on the bottom to use the stylus. maybe they would implement some sort of metroid-esque interface, using the stylus on the bottom to control a cursor on top; or perhaps just have the displays swap when needed? who knows...

21. Haoshiro macrumors 68000

Haoshiro

Precisely why it's more likely to be a rewrite then a port. Sure, parts of it would likely be ported code, but it's very likely a large portion of it is custom written for the DS, else you would not get the necessary performance out of the system.

As for controls, with the stylus I think it will be perfect. What's left for me to worry about is simply the gui design...

22. srobert thread starter macrumors 68020

srobert

That little adviser guy looks a lot like Will Wright (Sim City's creator). The SNES version also had an adviser named after him. (Dr. Wright) as an homage.

Altough I don't think Will Wright is involved with the DS version of SC2000, he seems to enjoy the DS platform. Bodes well for the future.

_

Attached Files:

23. iKwick7 macrumors 65816

iKwick7

Agreed. SimCity 2000 was also my favorite, by far. SNES SimCity was also excellent.